Question for the Strymon Guys

I run an AXE into a CLR and a Matrix / NL12 as well as a few tube amps in various configurations with and without the AXE. As a result I still have a pedal board which runs 2 H9's, a big sky, a timeline, a Mobius, and an Infinity looper. All this runs through my effect loop in my AXE or can also be used separately into the tube amps. The H9 can switch its place in the signal chain if run in mono (left and right can be in two parts of the signal chain) so you can run them as distortion, modulation, or looper. All of this is controlled and synch'd via MIDI.

Basiclly a version of this: http://nicerackcanada.com/the-good-stuff-rack-system/

Bottom line is that the H9 and Strymons are fantastic - very well thought out presets and great sounds. Its always easier to hear a sound and the build it into a motif or music that spend all afternoon geeking out on programming variations looking for a sound. I am sure the AXE can do most things but the 5 boxes listed add 100's of well thought out presets that can be used out of the box.

I think that Fractal should pay a few college students to clone as many of these presets as possible. That would spike sales if you could get a Strymon clone package...

I run an AXE into a CLR and a Matrix / NL12 as well as a few tube amps in various configurations with and without the AXE.

Hi Neo, I just picked up an AX8 and new to the group. I have a Matrix GT800FX and am thinking about pairing it with one Matrix NL12 to see how that goes. I've tried the AX8 through the CLR and it did sound great but the weight of the CLR is an issue for me.

Question: How do you like the NL12(s) compared to the CLR? Any notable differences? And do you use amp/cab models with the NL12(s)?

Thanks,
Tony

I run an AXE into a CLR and a Matrix / NL12 as well as a few tube amps in various configurations with and without the AXE. As a result I still have a pedal board which runs 2 H9's, a big sky, a timeline, a Mobius, and an Infinity looper. All this runs through my effect loop in my AXE or can also be used separately into the tube amps. The H9 can switch its place in the signal chain if run in mono (left and right can be in two parts of the signal chain) so you can run them as distortion, modulation, or looper. All of this is controlled and synch'd via MIDI.

Basiclly a version of this: http://nicerackcanada.com/the-good-stuff-rack-system/

Bottom line is that the H9 and Strymons are fantastic - very well thought out presets and great sounds. Its always easier to hear a sound and the build it into a motif or music that spend all afternoon geeking out on programming variations looking for a sound. I am sure the AXE can do most things but the 5 boxes listed add 100's of well thought out presets that can be used out of the box.

I think that Fractal should pay a few college students to clone as many of these presets as possible. That would spike sales if you could get a Strymon clone package...
+1000

Hi Neo, I just picked up an AX8 and new to the group. I have a Matrix GT800FX and am thinking about pairing it with one Matrix NL12 to see how that goes. I've tried the AX8 through the CLR and it did sound great but the weight of the CLR is an issue for me.

Question: How do you like the NL12(s) compared to the CLR? Any notable differences? And do you use amp/cab models with the NL12(s)?

Thanks,
Tony
Hey Sorry - I didnt notice your reply. I like the NL12's but have found I have to tweak the presets a bit to get the sounds I like and recognize. I don't find just turning off the cab sims is a solution. The CLR is ready to use out of the box and sounds great. I use it the most for this reason. I have 6 presets set up for the NL12's that sounds great as well but thats all I have gotten around to. Sometimes they sound better with Cab sims on and sometimes with off. The NL12's definitely have their own sound.

The CLR keeps its tone constant across more volume ranges where as the NL12's act like a guitar speaker - ie getting a "baseman about to explode" sound is harder at low volumes.

The NL12's are nice and light and are great in live setting and push a bit more air.

Bottom line - for low volume playing CLR is better. NL12's need some attention to revamp your presets as they have their own sound and arent as neutral.

I have the Timeline and Blue Sky. Both are amazing. Once I moved from pedals/amp to the Axe-Fx I just spent TONS of time dialing in what I was getting with the Strymons. I pretty much recreated the sounds that I used and more (mostly "ice"/crystal style delays and ambient swell effects). The quality of Strymon is equal to the Axe-Fx IMO.

The great thing about the Strymon pedals is that you can get instantly great tones and only dive deep if you want. With the Axe-Fx I needed to spend a LOT of time getting my same ambient delays and reverbs that way I had them from the pedals, but again in the end - everything sounds great on the Axe-Fx.

It does seem like there are some really intricate and beautiful reverbs on the Big Sky (which I don't own) and trying to recreate them on the Axe-Fx seems pretty difficult.

Bottom line - the Axe-Fx has a crazy amount of parameters to tweak to get ambient sounds, you just gotta spend the time and kind of half know what you are doing (or download someones rad ambient patch!). I wouldn't say the pedals or the Axe-Fx are better than he other - I just look at it as the Axe can create most of those types of ambient sounds and more - and Strymon has great, easy to use sounds out of the gate with less tweaking...

Simeon from the forum is big into ambient stuff like I am - and has created a lot of cool delay and synth patches among others. You may wany to check his stuff out!
Would you be willing to email me some of your effect presets?

Was wondering if the vocoder style "oohh" and "ahhh" choral type reverbs like in the Big sky pedal if they are possible with an axe fx 3?

you can run a verb or plex through the formant. don't know what the big sky ones sound like, so not sure if it's similar or not

Back
Top Bottom