Cab/IR recommendations for the Friedman ASM-12 anyone??

Georgy

Inspired
Hey guys,

Being a bit more of a hard rock/metal player (in various tunings etc), I'm keen to explore people's cab and IR suggestions.. I don't just play that style, I like my ASM to cover all the bases (which I think it does), but I reckon I could potentially be missing out on some really good stock cabs and even some user IR's too.. I tend to play more Marshall-esque amps, but more-so the 'hot-rodded' Marshall-esque amps like the Friedmans, Bogners etc..

I've got some Misha ones (forget which ones) and I'm happy to buy more, however, I'm also open for suggestion what guys do with some of the pretty darn good stock cabs.. Do you blend a few?

Cheers guys.

Factory #148 is really killer with the HBEamp
But lately an IR in Fremans package of pre sets and IR's (he created) I like better. It works excellent with the asm sounding slightly more clear, full. more 3D.
By the way just purchased my 2nd asm!!

Factory #148 is really killer with the HBEamp
But lately an IR in Fremans package of pre sets and IR's (he created) I like better. It works excellent with the asm sounding slightly more clear, full. more 3D.
By the way just purchased my 2nd asm!!

Thanks for the tip good sir, I shall try it.. And great work on the second one too!! :D

Need to get me some more user cabs now me thinks.. I've found that the ASM likes clarity too.. the more presence in the mids, the more clarity it seems to get.. Food for thought.

Thanks again for the tip dude

The stock "4x12 1960A G12M" sounds great with the ASM, but that's what my ear likes too....

Coming from old school Marshall & greenback rigs makes me partial to this driver, but it's stood the test of time for good reason.

Any good IR should sound good though right?

It's more about personal tastes that will gravitate one to a particular driver, or towards a specific IR tone if one has never had the opportunity to swap speakers and get a feel for the different tones they offer.

Examples based on:

FW: Q3.02
Setup: WDW
Speakers: ASM-12 (3)
Guitar: Les Paul w/ Moe Joe
Tuning: D standard
Power Amp Modeling: on
Cabinet Modeling: on
Global EQ: None

Last edited:
Bottom line is the right IR makes all the difference in the world for the final tone factor.
I struggled for a long time (with my AXE II) thinking it was a tone shaping issue in the amp blocks and it was always because I was barking up the wrong IR 'tree'.
I am so stoked with my tone using the Ax8. The Ax8 features are great but the biggest difference is immediately finding IR's that work for the tone my ears love!

Off Cab Pack 20, I'm a fan of the PR75 and PR55. They both sound great. Right now the PR55 with Sm57/M160 Seems to be a great go-to for rock tones. The ace folders in ML Sound Lab's cab packs will be great instant gratification tones.

Also a fan of the Bogner/Euro Cab pack. I'm a Bogner guy. Using a Friedman ASM-12

Try loading cab 53 and 54, high cut at 8500, sounds great especially with the Friedman or 800 mod. I've always been a fan of a GB/V30 combo. My main "real" cab was an old Randall straight with 2 GB's and 2 V30's.

Try loading cab 53 and 54, high cut at 8500, sounds great especially with the Friedman or 800 mod. I've always been a fan of a GB/V30 combo. My main "real" cab was an old Randall straight with 2 GB's and 2 V30's.
New to the group,and the modeling world,but just picked up the Ax8,and I only have powered studio monitors now,and I'm looking at getting a pair of wedges for some smaller gigs,the Friedman looks a little big! Anyone try the Xitone,really thinking about trying them,and a question about IRs? Do they tell you what type guitar,and pickup type was used with each IRs? Do they make Strat only IRs? I'm a Strat lover,and Hot rodded Marshall lover,I own both a Friedman BE and two Splawn Quickrods stacks,thanks in advance!

New to the group,and the modeling world,but just picked up the Ax8,and I only have powered studio monitors now,and I'm looking at getting a pair of wedges for some smaller gigs,the Friedman looks a little big! Anyone try the Xitone,really thinking about trying them,and a question about IRs? Do they tell you what type guitar,and pickup type was used with each IRs? Do they make Strat only IRs? I'm a Strat lover,and Hot rodded Marshall lover,I own both a Friedman BE and two Splawn Quickrods stacks,thanks in advance!
Hi Kasper, we've chatted a bit on gear talk. IR's aren't guitar dependent, it's just a speaker. It's not like a Kemper profile that's affected by the guitar used to create it.
Pretty much any IR that you'd use with an amp will work, just have to find the right one for your ears. If I remember right Friedman uses V30's and Greenbacks, Spawn uses V30's, right? Just look for those until you hear what you want. I'm preferential to Ownhammer (disclosure, I'm a beta-tester for them), but Fractal makes great ones as well. A new company to the game is Sigma Three. They have quite a selection at a pretty inexpensive price point. Not as many guys have tried them...some I've talked to loved them, some didn't care for them at all...but at the price it's easy to give one or two a shot.

also, Hi-cut will be your friend trying to get used to the Ax8. I'd play with it between 5k and 8k...will give a more typical cab response in the high end.

I'm now using the 3 Sigma Audio Friedman IR's. I combine 4a and 3a and the sound is incredible. Note that the mic will have more of an effect on what the IR sounds like. Not sure what those guys are doing over there but their IR's are sharp, full, and spacious(for lack of better descriptors). I thought the BE sounded good with stock cabs 53 and 54, now it sounds super!

Hi Kasper, we've chatted a bit on gear talk. IR's aren't guitar dependent, it's just a speaker. It's not like a Kemper profile that's affected by the guitar used to create it.
Pretty much any IR that you'd use with an amp will work, just have to find the right one for your ears. If I remember right Friedman uses V30's and Greenbacks, Spawn uses V30's, right? Just look for those until you hear what you want. I'm preferential to Ownhammer (disclosure, I'm a beta-tester for them), but Fractal makes great ones as well. A new company to the game is Sigma Three. They have quite a selection at a pretty inexpensive price point. Not as many guys have tried them...some I've talked to loved them, some didn't care for them at all...but at the price it's easy to give one or two a shot.
I've been using 4x12 basket weave TV mix with all my amps used,Friedman,Splawn,and Marshall Plexi,I also like the pre Rolla 4x12 cabs,what you guys think about the Friedman power wedge? Is it cool?

in
Do you mean in the cab,or amp?
the cab block. some guys low cut pretty aggressively as well, anywhere from 80hz to as high as 200hz....not me, my tones don't require it.

I use the Atomic CLR because I want accuracy above all else...although I'm thinking about trying a new open back frfr that's being discussed on the board right now. 99% of my tones would use an open back cab and I do miss that vibe sometimes...

Seems like if a FRFR monitor needs specific IR's to sound good that it isn't a very good FRFR device.

Having both the ASM-12 sitting here (though I just boxed it up today, what a chore) and the CLR that replaced it, and having played them side by side, I can say in my opinion the IR's that I like on the ASM I like on the CLR and vice-versa. These devices are about 95% similar (though the ASM-12 can sound a touch boomer and maybe slightly darker) so a favorite IR should translate well to both of them, or really any other system. I found that very much to be true as well as the IR's I liked for my studio desktop monitors are the same ones I like for the ASM and the CLR. All three devices should represent the actual IR pretty well

That said, the classic TV mix #131 is always a winner, as are ML's cab pack 7 stuff SM57-R121 alloy mix 1 in particular (and I don't normally like v30's) for me.

Back
Top Bottom