Changing a modifier curve - Volume control

Spawn2031

Inspired
Hey guys, got an FCB1010 that I'm using to control wah and volume. I'm having a bit of an issue with the smoothness of the expression pedals on this. When I just barely pull the expression pedal back to decrease the volume, the volume drops dramatically at first and then smoothly from there down. I remember reading that these curves can be edited and I know where to go to do it but I'm not really sure what I am doing in there to compensate for this issue. Can anyone enlighten me on this / share a previous post I missed / Link to a guide?

EDIT: I should probably add that the current volume curve is just the default linear modifier that gets tossed on.

Last edited:
go to "edit" on the vol block. Press enter on the control knob, edit the modifier curve from there.

I get the actual mechanics of how to change the curve. I'm talking about how to I go about counteracting that super quick drop when I first pull back on the pedal? Do I just grab those points along the curve and just move them about until I got something that I like or is there a more precise way of doing this?

Set the Mid around 70% so the part of the curve on the upper right drops less quickly than a straight linear. Also, be sure the Volume Taper is set to Log 20A or whatever you like - it always defaults to Log 20A when I add a Vol block. I think Log 30A is the most non-linear. The graph will still show a straight line even though it's set to a Log taper.

You know... I may not have done that. So many thing to learn and remember when I first got my axe, I honestly can't remember if I did that or not. Certainly wouldn't hurt to try. Isn't that only for pedals plugged into the pedal jacks in the back? This is midi footboard

Yes, you should always calibrate your expression pedals.

My issue is I use the global volume controller (I don't use a V block in the 700 presets) and would really like to have a custom controller curve. Is that possible? I've been told no, but I am reluctant to spend time to add a volume block in all my presets just to get a better/custom controller curve for my volume pedal.

I'd really appreciate being able to do this at the global level, since we already have a native volume controller - seems like we should be able to mod the curve.

Yes, you should always calibrate your expression pedals.

My issue is I use the global volume controller (I don't use a V block in the 700 presets) and would really like to have a custom controller curve. Is that possible? I've been told no, but I am reluctant to spend time to add a volume block in all my presets just to get a better/custom controller curve for my volume pedal.

I'd really appreciate being able to do this at the global level, since we already have a native volume controller - seems like we should be able to mod the curve.

The FCB has a calibration that you run on itself to set up your expression pedals. Figured that would be enough. Hopefully this will be the fix I am looking for. It'd be nice that it was just a missed step.

Set the Mid around 70% so the part of the curve on the upper right drops less quickly than a straight linear. Also, be sure the Volume Taper is set to Log 20A or whatever you like - it always defaults to Log 20A when I add a Vol block. I think Log 30A is the most non-linear. The graph will still show a straight line even though it's set to a Log taper.

Log 30A is the closest to linear. Basically it means when the pot is at 50% rotation, the value is at only 30%. Log 20A is at 20%. Log10A is at 10%. Lower number means the mid value is lower at the half way point, so it is "more logarithmic" and "less linear".

tapers.png

If you want to counter the fast initial drop off, set the taper to linear. The downside is the opposite effect will happen at the bottom of the pedal travel. It will go from off to loud very quickly. You can fine tune it with the mid value in the modifier properties.

Calibration on the Axe-FX is only for its onboard pedal ports, not MIDI control.

With the issue you describe, you may want to try increasing modifier scale and offset.

For example if values are jumpy around 80-100% of the pedal's travel, you can map 0-80% to the full volume range. This is assuming the value doesn't drop far below 80% when the pedal is physically between 80% and 100%. Increasing damping could also help if that's the case.

A correction like this may be more tolerable if you place something to limit travel into the new toe-down dead zone.

You'll also need to remember that FCB1010 pedals are not consistent. I have two units and they behave differently

You'll also need to remember that FCB1010 pedals are not consistent. I have two units and they behave differently

Yeah, I probably would have passed on this thing if I had realized the expression pedals were optical. Oh well it is what it is until I can afford a better solution. I can live with it as long as I can get this volume pedal a little smoother.

I own two FCB1010 MIDI pedal controllers, and I've had good luck with them. Here's a trick that I use to make sure that the pedals complete their full range of throw, and spit out 0-127 consistently over longer periods without re-calibrating constantly.

When engaging the calibration process on the FCB, it will require you to "toe-up" and "toe-down", as is typical. Before doing this, I put a couple of quarters or thick coins, or washers (anything will do) at the toe and heel positions. This will prevent the pedal itself from fully reaching the extremes of either physical position (by 1/8" +/-). Calibrate the pedal this way, and afterward remove the coins and operate in typical fashion. For me, works like a charm. Now you won't need to worry about the toe down position getting dodgy if it goes slightly off calibration.

I own two FCB1010 MIDI pedal controllers, and I've had good luck with them. Here's a trick that I use to make sure that the pedals complete their full range of throw, and spit out 0-127 consistently over longer periods without re-calibrating constantly.

When engaging the calibration process on the FCB, it will require you to "toe-up" and "toe-down", as is typical. Before doing this, I put a couple of quarters or thick coins, or washers (anything will do) at the toe and heel positions. This will prevent the pedal itself from fully reaching the extremes of either physical position (by 1/8" +/-). Calibrate the pedal this way, and afterward remove the coins and operate in typical fashion. For me, works like a charm. Now you won't need to worry about the toe down position getting dodgy if it goes slightly off calibration.

Hmm, I'll have to give that a shot and see what happens. I appreciate the tip. I'll let ya know if it helps mine too.

You might take a look at the controller boards for the expression pedals too. Sometimes the LED and LDR are not properly aligned and it can make the response weird.

This guy put together some good instructions on fixing it. http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/l...on-pedals-not-working-even-after-calibration/

One of the pedals on mine didn't respond the same as the other when I got it and sure enough, that one had the LED out of alignment.

Back
Top Bottom