xy Problems

Musicrob, do you have two user accounts on the forum? Best to stick to one, to prevent confusion.

I am still convinced that this problem is environmental related - poor earth..

I've only had it happen on gigs and not at home, sharing power at gigs with other equipment (and that includes stuff not related to the band, especially bar/pub gigs) is not healthy and if there are variations in power or a poor earth it must surely affect this type of gear.

Probably impossible to replicate without knowing the exact environmentals.

Well I hook all the appropriate cables. (Humbuster Cables. I was using regular cables so Maybe this was the issue).And I could not reproduce the problem. On for 3 hours and no problems. I'm starting to agree some kind if interference. I'll keep posting let you all know the results.

I am still convinced that this problem is environmental related - poor earth..

I've only had it happen on gigs and not at home, sharing power at gigs with other equipment (and that includes stuff not related to the band, especially bar/pub gigs) is not healthy and if there are variations in power or a poor earth it must surely affect this type of gear.

Probably impossible to replicate without knowing the exact environmentals.

I'm not sure I buy this theory.

Since it started happening to me, its been in 3 different venues and 2 different rehearsal spaces. One of the rehearsal venues is the best in Melbourne, Australia where all the major tour pre-production is staged and the other has had an electrician in to check the power supply recently. Only one of the venues has dodgy power and the result has been the same

Since it started happening to me, its been in 3 different venues and 2 different rehearsal spaces. One of the rehearsal venues is the best in Melbourne, Australia where all the major tour pre-production is staged and the other has had an electrician in to check the power supply recently. Only one of the venues has dodgy power and the result has been the same
Have you opened a support ticket?

OK, if its happening outside 1 venue, think of constants (apart from the FX8!!) - power cable, power extension cables (the 4 way types), anything else on your board using same power source/plug? Being "the best" venue in Melbourne doesn't really matter here as big touring acts normally run some form of power conditioners anyway to protect from this kind of thing - your $200 pickup isn't going to corner as well as your friends Ferrari just because its on the best road in Australia...

Open a support ticket is the best option here, but in order for the Fractal guys to have the remotest chance of replicating this you will need to supply details of exactly when it happened, i.e what patch, what effects etc etc otherwise (and I talk from experience here as a software engineer myself!!!) they will be stabbing around in the dark with this type of issue.

I am still convinced that its something environmental, but thats just my opinion....mine has not done it since, and I have changed power lead and extension cable - could be coincidence....could not....it wouldn't harm to try surely..

Out of interest - what switch on the FX8 is causing the XY problems - is it always the same one ?

I've experienced this same issue, contacted support and no solution yet. I have one of the early versions of the FX8. Could it be a hardware issue?

I've run into this problem a couple times now. I have an xy set up to toggle between a long & short reverb. I've had two occasions in which I've been unable to toggle between them. It usually goes away when I reboot my FX8. I have no idea what I might have done to cause the issue, which makes it difficult to suggest steps to replicate the problem. I've wondered if it's possibly caused when I accidentally unplug my FX8 w/o first turning the power off using the switch, but I have not tested this theory. I haven't spent any time testing other switches to see if their xy functionality had also failed. It's not a huge problem for me, but it's definitely happened at least two times on gigs. Let me know if you want me to submit a support ticket.

I'm running fw 3.01. The 3.02 fixes are inconsequential for me so I haven't installed it yet.

I have
Out of interest - what switch on the FX8 is causing the XY problems - is it always the same one ?

No, mine does this and I have checked every switch. They all become inactive. You can bypass/engage effects, but you cannot switch x/y. I have also been working with Joe on this. He's very diligent so I'm sure this issue will be solved in no time.

Are you you using humbuster cables. just saying. have not seen the problem since I started using them.

I have

No, mine does this and I have checked every switch. They all become inactive. You can bypass/engage effects, but you cannot switch x/y. I have also been working with Joe on this. He's very diligent so I'm sure this issue will be solved in no time.
Are you you using humbuster cables. just saying. have not seen the problem since I started using them.

Nope. 4 standard TS cables with 2 Fractal expression pedals connected via TRS cables. Pretty straight forward set up. Mine unit is also an older one (The aluminum face plate is not coated...).

I had this problem before and during the beta for 3.0 I have not experienced it in a few months. I use the FX8 several times a week. I use Humbuster cables if that matters.

Try humbuster cables see if that solves the problem

I've been using humbuster cables from day 1 and I still experience this issue occasionally. I think it's safe to say that has nothing to do with the issue.

For me, it never happened on the earliest firmware versions. I can say with certainty it started happening from v2.0 onward. I experienced it months before this thread was even started. Since it usually went away with a reboot, I thought it was a possible user error incident. I didn't pay much attention to it. Now that this thread has appeared (and it happened to me again in the middle of a show last week) I think it's clearly a 'thing,' if not a bug of some sort.

I'll try to pay more attention to what is going on next time it happens to me. In hopes of being able to make suggestions on how to replicate it. Until that happens, this is going to be very difficult to nail down.

It hardly ever happens for me TBH, but I've definitely experienced it on 4 or 5 occasions since I started using my FX8 about a year ago.

Last edited:
Okay update on the xy problem.

It still happens when unit has been on for awhile.

So cable theory has been debunked.

Uggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a good thing kinda disappointed with this unit.

Time to replace it. But how can I even sell it with a known problem.

The best feature on the unit and it is useless..

Back
Top Bottom