Mic options in the cab block

bishop5150

Fractal Fanatic
I noticed my main preset had the mic option set to none. Anybody else set theirs that way? And advantage disadvantage to it? Or is it a "if it sounds good to you that way do it" type of thing?

Even though there's no need of adding additional mic emulations, you can get some tasty tones adding them. If you set the parameter to Null, you can use the mic controls shown on the cab block.

Even though there's no need of adding additional mic emulations, you can get some tasty tones adding them. If you set the parameter to Null, you can use the mic controls shown on the cab block.

Using proximity with a "Null" microphone type is nice.

But "Null" has no mic emulation at all. Instead it is a pass through. The audio is not changed. It does however allow other Cab block params like Proximity to be used.

An outdated feature?
I use it all the time. I often use a condenser to tame the highs and give it a bit more warmth.
I try not to use it on a cab that clearly has a specific mic in the cab name though.
yes. they used to capture ir's with neutral mics so the mic sims were there to give that vibe. now ir's are captured with either a mic or a MIX of mics baked in, so they aren't necessary. like I said, if it works for you, rock it, but it's not something ir's need anymore. little more than another eq option.

yes. they used to capture ir's with neutral mics so the mic sims were there to give that vibe. now ir's are captured with either a mic or a MIX of mics baked in, so they aren't necessary. like I said, if it works for you, rock it, but it's not something ir's need anymore. little more than another eq option.

IR's provide more resolution than most EQ's. I wonder how many points are in the mic IR's?

It would be cool to have these as presets in the PEQ block. Similar to the Drive block and drive types.

You could select an "SM57" PEQ preset, etc.

IR's provide more resolution than most EQ's. I wonder how many points are in the mic IR's?

It would be cool to have these as presets in the PEQ block. Similar to the Drive block and drive types.

You could select an "SM57" PEQ preset, etc.
yeah i wasn't referring to the IR's as being eq options, but to the mic presets.

Sometimes I like a cab with no mic selected, and sometimes I like a cab that already has mic baked in, but still apply an SM57 to take an edge off, or an R121 to make it a little brighter and richer.

The mic options are mostly legacy. I never use them but if we took them out there would surely be much protestation.

With that thinking, you can never remove features. I'd say, give people a month's warning, then do whatever you want. If people trust you to write the software in the first place, then they should believe you when you say a feature is no longer needed, .

It was great if we could mix the mics there ourselfes with some neutral factory IRs instead of importing premixed static IRs. We can mix at least two mics by using the cab block in stereo mode with different mic settings, but there is no neutral uncoloured master IR for certain speakers/cabs to start from.
I guess that was the basic idea behind these mic settings?
The evolution of that approach seems to have stopped somehow.

It was great if we could mix the mics there ourselfes with some neutral factory IRs instead of importing premixed static IRs...but there is no neutral uncoloured master IR for certain speakers/cabs to start from.
I guess that was the basic idea behind these mic settings?
The evolution of that approach seems to have stopped somehow.
People found out that you can get a more accurate capture with a cab and an SM57 than you can get by applying an SM57 "flavor" to a cab. There's more to a mic's sound than just its response curve.

Back
Top Bottom