FRFR Solutions

Xitone has served me extremely well for live use. Most durable solution I have seen, they come in several shapes/sizes/ and they're also FRFR-regular cab switchable. This is a feature I ADORE! CLRs are impressive but wow, are they spendy and they're also JUST FRFR.
Personally, I believe that you can can a pair of ZLX powered speakers or just about any other mid level powered speakers and live life happy as clam. Yes, there are differences between all of these options but don't break the bank seeking some type of perceived perfection (that doesn't exist)... Know your budget then shop within it.

I went with the TS210. I didn't get a Xitone or CLR or anyting else to compare it to. I basically cannot afford the other options at this time. Maybe later.

One reason I chose the TS210 though is that I am not into drop tune heavily distorted sounds. First and foremost I wanted a great clean sound and then low to medium gain. I've read that the CLR's etc have a pronounced/enhanced bottom end. I bet the can really make a recto cab thump! But that's not me. I'm mostly happy with a Twin and some drive blocks.

Eventually I'd like to get a Xitone....two actually I just don't have the coin for that right now.

FYI the TS210 is super light. It's like carrying a boom box but it is plenty loud and does a great job of representing what the AX-8 is sending it.

Check out the TC offering it looks like it might be a nice inexpensive contender...

I bought a B-stock one of these for $179. The lows are what you woiuld expect... somewhat hyped since it is so small... but for an ultraportable speaker and one that sits nicely in my living room, I am really enjoying it. It is more of a 'practice amp' sound than a full rig sound, but that is ok. It sounds good given its limitations. I am keeping it.

Hey ghost219 & jzgtrguy,

Let us know how those speaker choices work out for you when you've had enough time to evaluate them! I may be in the market for something soon and am trying to decide on which "moderately priced" option in speakers(preferably stereo pair) would be a good fit for me.
As of yet, I've only been able to play it loud when I was testing it BUT I do have practice this coming week. I'll def let you know.

K10 user here. Good and lightweight. Tone translates well to most systems in a standard club FOH.

Has somewhat of a plasticky top end if cranked loud but it's not harsh or piercing. Good for price, weight and usability. Great features including mixing in a 2nd input etc.

I went with the TS210. I didn't get a Xitone or CLR or anyting else to compare it to. I basically cannot afford the other options at this time. Maybe later.

One reason I chose the TS210 though is that I am not into drop tune heavily distorted sounds. First and foremost I wanted a great clean sound and then low to medium gain. I've read that the CLR's etc have a pronounced/enhanced bottom end. I bet the can really make a recto cab thump! But that's not me. I'm mostly happy with a Twin and some drive blocks.

Eventually I'd like to get a Xitone....two actually I just don't have the coin for that right now.

FYI the TS210 is super light. It's like carrying a boom box but it is plenty loud and does a great job of representing what the AX-8 is sending it.

Well done. You truly don't need to spend thousand$ of dollars to get the most out of the axefx. Since you mentioned "light weight" being a factor for you, know that XiTones aren't lightweight. My 212 cab is like 70lbs and other XiTones I have played are pretty heavy. However, for me I need a cab that is built like a truck. Mick's voidless super sturdy build is exceptional and is definitely the right road for me but just know that if you require light cabinetry, or a medium-duty build, Xitone may not be your cab, UNLESS YOU GET TWO SMALL CABS! Good luck man!
;)

Well done. You truly don't need to spend thousand$ of dollars to get the most out of the axefx. Since you mentioned "light weight" being a factor for you, know that XiTones aren't lightweight. My 212 cab is like 70lbs and other XiTones I have played are pretty heavy. However, for me I need a cab that is built like a truck. Mick's voidless super sturdy build is exceptional and is definitely the right road for me but just know that if you require light cabinetry, or a medium-duty build, Xitone may not be your cab, UNLESS YOU GET TWO SMALL CABS! Good luck man!
;)

I have a Xitone powered 12 on route that I was told was 36-38 lbs. That doesn't seem too bad for an active 12. My Yamaha DXR10 is 32lbs.

I have a Xitone powered 12 on route that I was told was 36-38 lbs. That doesn't seem too bad for an active 12. My Yamaha DXR10 is 32lbs.
I agree, that's perfectly reasonable for such a killer cab. My cab is a 212 and it has the RJM switcher in it as well and for me weight isn't an issue regarding gear.

Greetings,

Decided on a pair of Alto TS212s. Had a 20%-off coupon from our local Guitar Center, so the pair for (US) $480 plus tax seemed like a hard deal to beat. Just set them up a little while ago and gave a very quick test run and, while the low end seemed a little boomy, the overall tone sounded worlds better than I've ever heard the AX8 before. (Would have possibly opted for TS210s instead, but am thinking ahead to using them for my [Chapman] Stick and spare set of small PA speakers for occasional house concerts we host.)

Cheers,

Alan

Last edited:
Still own 2 RCF NX-12's (used with pa currently - very good but not cab like at all), Used a CLR for years and loved it but would never ever trust buying a used one due to their reliability issues that are well documented. Currently using 2 Friedman asm's which are just as good as the CLR with the benefit of having a real amp company to back the quality and not just a one man show who may or may not get back to you or returns worked on CLR without the correct parts - well documented.
Not meant to be a slam, just a huge factor in my choice of going with the asm by Friedman.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Euphonics Audio VL110 cabs, which are fantastic for backline use. I also have a Xitone 1x12 wedge, which is really great as both a monitor and backline cabinet. There are times when I like the feel / presence of the two cabs behind me - especially on larger stages - but the Xitone wedge beats them for direct feed from the front, and as has been noted, Mick's cabinets are built to last. If I was choosing cabinets for a new FRFR rig, I'd get them from Xitone.

K10 user here. Good and lightweight. Tone translates well to most systems in a standard club FOH.

Has somewhat of a plasticky top end if cranked loud but it's not harsh or piercing. Good for price, weight and usability. Great features including mixing in a 2nd input etc.

This is great to know- I was just talking to my local shop, debating between eventually upgrading to a pair of K8s or 10s. (I have a Yorkville Parasource 12 right now, and it's BIG. I'll be eating up way too much real estate on stage with a pair of those PLUS my pedalboard. ;) ).

FRFR is just what is says. "Full Range, Flat Response". It should serve your purposes just as well as the high gain folks. The AX8 is designed to work in this environment for all of the Amp/Cab combinations.
I find that my QSC K10 seems to sound brittle at higher volumes, but great at lower volumes. Would you say that is due to the speaker or something else?

Has somewhat of a plasticky top end

This is what terrifies me with most PA speakers. I had two DXR10's with my Helix and couldn't dial in a pleasant tone. I brought my Helix over to a friends house and played it through his and it sounded ok. His Kemper and someone else's AXFX sounded great. And I heard a Helix through a pair of QSC K8's at a local shop and it sounded pretty good. I have no idea why I couldn't get mine to work well.

Now I have since sold the DXR10's and the Helix and now own an AX8 and would love to find a "loud" solution. Soon I'll get a chance to audition the AX8 through a Freidman ASM-12, but I have curiosities about other solutions. Most notably running the AX8 with the cabs off into a Fryette Powerstation tube amplifier then into a traditional 1x12 cab. That seems kind of like a modified 4CM schematic without the preamp section of a traditional amp.

I would be very interested in hearing commentary from anyone who has done such a thing, not at the expense of hijacking this thread though.

I have an Alto TS112A and a CLR.
Used the Alto for many gigs and rehearsals before getting the CLR.
CLR is better but the Alto does fine.
I use it now in my studio room for practice and keep the CLR for gigs.
Here it is with some noodling using the AX8.
Alto TS112A is across the room from the webcam which is picking up the room sound.
For the money they work great!

Last edited:
This is what terrifies me with most PA speakers. I had two DXR10's with my Helix and couldn't dial in a pleasant tone. I brought my Helix over to a friends house and played it through his and it sounded ok. His Kemper and someone else's AXFX sounded great. And I heard a Helix through a pair of QSC K8's at a local shop and it sounded pretty good. I have no idea why I couldn't get mine to work well.

Now I have since sold the DXR10's and the Helix and now own an AX8 and would love to find a "loud" solution. Soon I'll get a chance to audition the AX8 through a Freidman ASM-12, but I have curiosities about other solutions. Most notably running the AX8 with the cabs off into a Fryette Powerstation tube amplifier then into a traditional 1x12 cab. That seems kind of like a modified 4CM schematic without the preamp section of a traditional amp.

I would be very interested in hearing commentary from anyone who has done such a thing, not at the expense of hijacking this thread though.

I dial in my tones through studio monitors generally. (Yamaha HS-8s) and every now and then I go to my drummer friend's studio and dial em in on Adam ax7s because I overdub guitar on some of his tracks.

I don't do much dialing on the Qsc, but I find my tones translate well from studio to the QSC regardless. But, if you have tracks that are a good strong reference mix, you'll find that the top end of the QSC does have that weird thing. Run some audio through it with a good mixed album or even good isolated guitar tones and you'll hear it. It's NOT prominent, its NOT a deal breaker but if you're comparing good studio monitoring to the QSC that's where the difference is.

I don't overthink it because
1) it's live,
2) my tones still sound good
3) weight, reliability and price is good

There is literally no ceiling in price for FRFR solutions or studio monitoring, but I'm not really interested in spending $10k for wedges that are truly flat from 20-20k.

As for he amp/cab thing. That sounds great as well, but you're limited by the speaker cab and power amp. They will color all your tones so choose wisely I've had great success with the matrix amps and using port city cabs.

Just ordered up the ASM12 from Sweetwater - open box deal, so will try it out for 30 days and see.

Look forward to your impressions and review! I am still debating ASM12 (or 2) VS. the more compact (and probably more reasonable for space restrictions) K8s or 10s.

Back
Top Bottom