How to check if 4CM works for you.. patches/pics included

Georgy

Inspired
Hey guys,

WARNING: Long thread alert!!

Thought I'd share a patch and an idea for 4CM would-be users.. For this to work, you will still need to have everything plugged in and connected as per normal 4CM setup (see below), and I HIGHLY recommend you have HUMBUSTER cables ready to go.. Humbuster cables = TRS on one end, with normal guitar jack on the other end. Humbuster cables will eliminate seriously unnecessary hum and any ground-loop noise that you're likely to get, so be sure to use these if possible. My local music store made them up for me.

Here's what-plugs-into-what:
Humbuster-end (or TRS end) goes into the Axe's INPUT 2 FX RETURN (L/mono), the other end goes into your amp's FX loop SEND.
Humbuster-end goes into the Axe's OUTPUT 1 (L), the other end goes into your amp's FX loop RETURN.
Normal guitar lead from Axe's OUTPUT 2 FX SEND, the other end goes into the front of your amp.

So...... Although I've got my rig setup in 4CM, I've actually also simplified it by making up a patch that allows me to toggle between 4CM and using my valve amp as a power amp whilst using the on-board amp sims within the Axe FX.. I'll explain. By having the normal amp tones and characteristics of my actual amp (in the case of this patch, the EVH 5153-50w), it will always give me that real amp's real sound; it'll give me the punch, the depth, the high's, the low's, the gain, the presence (by presence, I don't mean top-end presence, I mean the feel and presence of the amp) and so on.

NOTE, the real amp as per below's screen dump is in fact the FX LOOP.. remember that!
FX LOOP = your amp, AMP Block/sim = Amp block/sim
NOTE 2, do NOT engage both the FX LOOP and the AMP Block at the same time!!!! Only toggle between the two..
NOTE 3, FYI, all the effects are set to THRU. Being a fan of Eddie VH, all my effects are very EVH'esque

By toggling between the FX LOOP and the AMP SIM, you'll be able to compare the characteristics of your real amp against the amp sims within the Axe FX. Some amps will have similar'ish characteristics and others will simply not. You should be able to hear which amps automatically sound good to your ears and which ones might not. Play around with them, change the tone stack if you think it'll improve it - most importantly have fun with it.
TIP: If possible, try and do it louder than bedroom volume - band prac volume is good.
TIP 2: Try load up a second amp. First amp on 'X', and second amp on 'Y'..

AWESOME DISCOVERY.. In actual fact, no word of a lie, I actually used my Bogner XTC head as the power amp a few Friday's ago.. I loaded up the EURO RED MODERN amp sim and I actually preferred the amp sim over the actual XTC head's tones!!! Boy was I pleasantly shocked!!! SO much so, I listed my XTC for sale and sold it!! # The same applied when I used my EVH head and loaded up with EURO RED MODERN amp sim - hence, I've attached it to this thread for your sonic pleasure #

I keep saying there's no right or wrong; do what sounds right to you and your ears.

Any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Hope this helps.

George

Attachments

• GG Amp Sim XTC EVH 4CM.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
  • GG Amp Sim XTC XTC 4CM.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
Hey guys,

WARNING: Long thread alert!!

Thought I'd share a patch and an idea for 4CM would-be users.. For this to work, you will still need to have everything plugged in and connected as per normal 4CM setup (see below), and I HIGHLY recommend you have HUMBUSTER cables ready to go.. Humbuster cables = TRS on one end, with normal guitar jack on the other end. Humbuster cables will eliminate seriously unnecessary hum and any ground-loop noise that you're likely to get, so be sure to use these if possible. My local music store made them up for me.

Here's what-plugs-into-what:
Humbuster-end (or TRS end) goes into the Axe's INPUT 2 FX RETURN (L/mono), the other end goes into your amp's FX loop SEND.
Humbuster-end goes into the Axe's OUTPUT 1 (L), the other end goes into your amp's FX loop RETURN.
Normal guitar lead from Axe's OUTPUT 2 FX SEND, the other end goes into the front of your amp.

So...... Although I've got my rig setup in 4CM, I've actually also simplified it by making up a patch that allows me to toggle between 4CM and using my valve amp as a power amp whilst using the on-board amp sims within the Axe FX.. I'll explain. By having the normal amp tones and characteristics of my actual amp (in the case of this patch, the EVH 5153-50w), it will always give me that real amp's real sound; it'll give me the punch, the depth, the high's, the low's, the gain, the presence (by presence, I don't mean top-end presence, I mean the feel and presence of the amp) and so on.

NOTE, the real amp as per below's screen dump is in fact the FX LOOP.. remember that!
FX LOOP = your amp, AMP Block/sim = Amp block/sim
NOTE 2, do NOT engage both the FX LOOP and the AMP Block at the same time!!!! Only toggle between the two..
NOTE 3, FYI, all the effects are set to THRU. Being a fan of Eddie VH, all my effects are very EVH'esque

By toggling between the FX LOOP and the AMP SIM, you'll be able to compare the characteristics of your real amp against the amp sims within the Axe FX. Some amps will have similar'ish characteristics and others will simply not. You should be able to hear which amps automatically sound good to your ears and which ones might not. Play around with them, change the tone stack if you think it'll improve it - most importantly have fun with it.
TIP: If possible, try and do it louder than bedroom volume - band prac volume is good.
TIP 2: Try load up a second amp. First amp on 'X', and second amp on 'Y'..

AWESOME DISCOVERY.. In actual fact, no word of a lie, I actually used my Bogner XTC head as the power amp a few Friday's ago.. I loaded up the EURO RED MODERN amp sim and I actually preferred the amp sim over the actual XTC head's tones!!! Boy was I pleasantly shocked!!! SO much so, I listed my XTC for sale and sold it!! # The same applied when I used my EVH head and loaded up with EURO RED MODERN amp sim - hence, I've attached it to this thread for your sonic pleasure #

I keep saying there's no right or wrong; do what sounds right to you and your ears.

Any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Hope this helps.

George

Exellent work, insightful use of AxeFx capabilities. Have you tried using a Neve RNDI then direct to left rear #1 input on AxeFx, omitting the amp block and adding cab and effect blocks.

Exellent work, insightful use of AxeFx capabilities. Have you tried using a Neve RNDI then direct to left rear #1 input on AxeFx, omitting the amp block and adding cab and effect blocks.

What is that?! Googled it etc.. but what does it do exactly? Do you use one?

What is that?! Googled it etc.. but what does it do exactly? Do you use one?
It's a direct interface for instrunments and in the speaker position an input for up to 1000 watts of amp output. It needs to be used with a loadbox or speaker to dump energy but you get an XLR out with the tone of your amp. I use a Torpedo Reload to dump the energy then run the XLR from the Neve and the torpedo to a quality preamp [the Neve needs 48v electrical source] then into the rear input #1 L&R on the back of AxeFx. You can decide to use an amp block or not. But you get your amp tone in its raw form without the speaker processing, but that is what the AxeFx and its abilities are for. Check it out at Sweetwater.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom