Axe-Fx II Quantum Rev 3.00 Public Beta

I have read and understood the release notes. I made the decision to load the firmware instead. If I get a wild hair, I'll load Q3 whenever it comes out of beta.

I´n not trying to be critic with your opinion, Lionheart, but i´m wondering if you´re having a problem with your speakers. In my case i had one broken, and all my sounds were fuzzy and dark. i fixed it and mistery solved. ;)

Loaded Q3 and started a Recto patch from scratch. First impression was that it was darker and almost deadened. Trying to match to the physical amp was difficult. In order to get it to cut through like the real amp, I had to try increasing the treble, presence, and/or dynamic presence. All that did was add nasty fizziness that is not as pronounced in the physical amp.

The previous firmware versions are not accurate to the real amp either, but Q3 is definitely a step in the wrong direction for the Recto1 Red Mdrn. IMHO

Rolled back to Q2. :cool:
Could you load up a preset, i'm curious, even as a low gainer...

I´n not trying to be critic with your opinion, Lionheart, but i´m wondering if you´re having a problem with your speakers. In my case i had one broken, and all my sounds were fuzzy and dark. i fixed it and mistery solved. ;)
No, sir. Past projects still sound good on the studio monitors.

Could you load up a preset, i'm curious, even as a low gainer...
Not today. It might be a while. I've already taken enough breaks today to fart around with the Axe-Fx. I've got a project that just started yesterday that has top priority right now. About to walk out the studio and call it a day.

Strange thing happened when I loaded Q3.0 today on my AxeFX II. First I reset the amp as recommended by selecting another amp and then going back. Very dark sounding as if I was playing on the neck PU and had the tone control rolled back. Tried adding more treble, didn´t help. When I moved my expression pedal and turned the wah on and off the good (and even better) sound was back! Everything sounded as it should. Weird.

There is no need to roll back as you can select Q2 from the modeling version menu. You have the option of Q2.00, Q2.01 or the latest. A perusal of the Release Notes seems to be in order.

I think at first we were all a bit skeptical of something like this because more choices equals more stress. :) In reality though, great to have an option that allows us to compare several firmwares with the turn of a knob.

For me, the hard rock/metal tones is the deciding factor for me on how I'm feeling about a certain firmware. The only reason I saw that is because the clean and mid gains sound unreal no matter what firmware version I'm on. I guess I'm more picky about heavier tones.

For me, the hard rock/metal tones is the deciding factor for me on how I'm feeling about a certain firmware. The only reason I saw that is because the clean and mid gains sound unreal no matter what firmware version I'm on. I guess I'm more picky about heavier tones.

I have heard your rock/metal stuff and it's killer! It's funny how different two players/listeners can be, I have found the exact opposite, where high gain always seems easier to achieve and the clean to early breakup amps have the 'golden' nuances that I'm always listening for. I feel early breakup is where Fractal stands head and shoulders over everyone else in the modeling world. I was happy with high gain a long time back.

I have heard your rock/metal stuff and it's killer! It's funny how different two players/listeners can be, I have found the exact opposite, where high gain always seems easier to achieve and the clean to early breakup amps have the 'golden' nuances that I'm always listening for. I feel early breakup is where Fractal stands head and shoulders over everyone else in the modeling world. I was happy with high gain a long time back.
+1

OK, I reloaded the latest firmware 3.0 beta from Q 1.6 and started from scratch just amp and cabinet Plexi 100 high and cabinet 55, and found that in the cab block of the cabinet 55 the proximity on the cabinet page now defaults to 0. if i recall most cabinets defaulted to 2.5 or 5.0 on previous firmware versions...after adjusting cabinet 55 with the proximity the cab block to 5.0 I am now hearing the clarity and no more excessive fizz or darkness or blanket over the speaker cabinet sound I was hearing with the proximity a 0 in the patch I created. my question is when did the proximity in the cab block change to 0 and was the change for a specific reason? I am good now on the latest and greatest firmware version as long as I check the Proximity and adjust accordingly......

OK, I reloaded the latest firmware 3.0 beta from Q 1.6 and started from scratch just amp and cabinet Plexi 100 high and cabinet 55, and found that in the cab block of the cabinet 55 the proximity on the cabinet page now defaults to 0. if i recall most cabinets defaulted to 2.5 or 5.0 on previous firmware versions...after adjusting cabinet 55 with the proximity the cab block to 5.0 I am now hearing the clarity and no more excessive fizz or darkness or blanket over the speaker cabinet sound I was hearing with the proximity a 0 in the patch I created. my question is when did the proximity in the cab block change to 0 and was the change for a specific reason? I am good now on the latest and greatest firmware version as long as I check the Proximity and adjust accordingly......
what mic was it set to?

if it was set to None, then the Proximity control wouldn't have done anything. the Proximity at 5 vs 0 also increases low end resonance, so if anything, i'd say it would increase the darkness and blanket.

what mic was it set to?

if it was set to None, then the Proximity control wouldn't have done anything. the Proximity at 5 vs 0 also increases low end resonance, so if anything, i'd say it would increase the darkness and blanket.
exactly...and the default proximity setting on any preset i've ever seen is 0..

exactly...and the default proximity setting on any preset i've ever seen is 0..

I reported a nuisance 2.03 or so that was setting my new cab blocks to proximity of 5. So yeah, if you want from no mic to null or any other mic, things got very boomy in a hurry.

Then I have no idea what the answer is as I thought that proximity was the distance from the mic to the cabinet,so what you are saying that this has no effect on ultrarez since there is no mic ?

The Mic setting in the cab block is an additional EQ basically. The Proximity adjusts the "closeness" of that particular mic, not anything baked into the IR. So if the Mic is set to none, proximity does nothing. "Null" is different, and proximity does something.

My next question is then how is everyone getting rid of low end and excessive fizz?
I tame the low end with the bass cut switch and just turning the bass down. works for me. Fizz can be too much of something like gain, presence or the IR being used.

Thanks, I have been experimenting with limiting frequencies in th cab block, turning down the bass and adjusting the preamp in the cab block ...and seem to be getting closer to something I can live with for now.

Back
Top Bottom