Axe-Fx II Quantum Rev 3.00 Public Beta

i just haven't experienced any changes like that. I think things sound better, and the highs are smoother, but i don't equate that to darker.

Me too. Presets that initially sounded darker, I just dial in a bit more of the usual controls that I'd use on an amp to make it brighter. And the results are better than what I had before in 2.* firmwares. Sorry some of you are having problems. I'm happy!

Me too. Presets that initially sounded darker, I just dial in a bit more of the usual controls that I'd use on an amp to make it brighter. And the results are better than what I had before in 2.* firmwares. Sorry some of you are having problems. I'm happy!
That's why I'm glad that there is always the option to roll back to a previous firmware. In the end, everyone wins. :)

i just haven't experienced any changes like that. I think things sound better, and the highs are smoother, but i don't equate that to darker.

Agreed.

I typically like really bright tones and find it easier to dial them in with this firmware without it becoming harsh or ice picky.

Why should we have to use an advanced parameter, that isn't available for the physical amp, to brighten up these now darkened amps? (I have real-world experience with plenty of these amp models.)

I personally haven't found any amps darker than 2.04 but it depends on where you had Dynamic Presence set before as this value gets reset when you load a preset made with previous firmware. If you had Dyn Pres turned up in your preset(s) it gets reset to default value when the preset is recalled which will make the preset "darker".

Regarding the function of this parameter now this is what I wrote in the beta testing subforum when the firmware was released to the beta testers:
"Not a big change from 2.04. The power amp modeling is slightly improved. The biggest change is the operation of the Dynamic Presence control. Transformers interact with the speaker. When the transformer is driven hard this interaction changes. It's dependent upon the transformer, the speaker and even the cable to some degree. The net effect is that the high frequencies are boosted but it's a dynamic boost.

Turn up the Dynamic Presence knob and you'll hear the effect of the interaction. Amps with small transformers connected to certain speakers tend to really do it but, like I said, it depends on the speaker so I made it adjustable. For example, my AC-20 Deluxe into a Celestion G12T-75 exhibits significant interaction but into a Jensen C12 does it much less. My 50W Plexis do it quite a bit but my 100W Plexi doesn't. Amps with "big iron" don't really do it much. Amps with small transformers that are easily overdriven do it. So... use your ears. As you turn it up you'll hear the transformer "grind". It's a sort of scratchy, gritty but cool sound."

Fractals,
I watched the video and set up the same cabinet in X /Y and edited only the Cabinet in X after editing the cabinet the blanket came off the cabinet in the X while Y was left at default and still sounded dark and muddy in my opinion, Then I reloaded Q 1.6 and did not have to touch the cabinet to get the sound I liked. I only had to adjust basic amp parameters I was using the plexi 100 and cabinet 55
This eliminated the issue I was hearing
I have loaded the 3.0 beta software twice and reloaded the latest presets after changing firmware to make sure I did not have something load incorrectly. The beta 3.0 is not working for me at this time......I am using JBL lsr 4328 studio monitors I am confident in what I am hearing. Don't get me wrong I am not criticizing Cliff's work or Danny's video which I find very helpful but on Q 1.6 I never had to adjust the cabinets to compensate for amps that sounded too dark or muddy to me.

Last edited:
it depends on where you had Dynamic Presence set before as this value gets reset when you load a preset made with previous firmware. If you had Dyn Pres turned up in your preset(s) it gets reset to default value when the preset is recalled which will make the preset "darker".
Will have to revisit my presets using 3.0 again. Thanks for the insight.

FWIW, I just went from Q2.01 to Q3.0b and haven't noticed anything being darker. I did notice the new HBE models though - definitely like the new V1 over the old version. Typically I've been making a few tweaks to treble, presence, and bright when selecting this amp. I find those are no longer necessary with the new V1 and Q3.0b.

+1 here on no darker amp sounds ,they sound great to me ! Very easy to dial in! Have you guys feeling the darkside tried resetting your amp block? If you haven't, try it you just might like it! Also there's nothing wrong with adding treble and prescence , I find higher levels much more pleasing than they use to be!

Fractals,
I watched the video and set up the same cabinet in X /Y and edited only the Cabinet in X after editing the cabinet the blanket came off the cabinet in the X while Y was left at default and still sounded dark and muddy in my opinion, Then I reloaded Q 1.6 and did not have to touch the cabinet to get the sound I liked. I only had to adjust basic amp parameters I was using the plexi 100 and cabinet 55
This eliminated the issue I was hearing
I have loaded the 3.0 beta software twice and reloaded the latest presets after changing firmware to make sure I did not have something load incorrectly. The beta 3.0 is not working for me at this time......I am using JBL lsr 4328 studio monitors I am confident in what I am hearing. Don't get me wrong I am not criticizing Cliff's work or Danny's video which I find very helpful but on Q 1.6 I never had to adjust the cabinets to compensate for amps that sounded too dark or muddy to me.
Dannys video is not related to a firmware release. he is just explaining that even with a non suitable cab choice you can still tweak and get result that sound good even when changing to other amps. this has nothing to do with firmware 2.X nor 3 beta.

Also there's nothing wrong with adding treble and prescence , I find higher levels much more pleasing than they use to be!
Not with Dual Rectifiers. The "Presence" knob is diabolical. On the physical amp, it's either off or no higher than 9 o'clock for me. I also never take the "Treble" knob past noon. Fizz is an enormous struggle with the real amp.

Now I'm curious to give the Recto models a try on Q 3.0 and see how they respond to the real thing.

Dannys video is not related to a firmware release. he is just explaining that even with a non suitable cab choice you can still tweak and get result that sound good even when changing to other amps. this has nothing to do with firmware 2.X nor 3 beta.

Yes, my take away is that there is a ton of power (and tools) for editing a virtual cab (IR), that you can optimize nearly any cab to get a good tone. Additionally, there is so much configurability that you can take things that sound terrible at first blush and tweak until you get what you want within a single cabinet IR.

Nothing to do with the firmware.

I had the same take away as well. When cutting the highs and lows in the cab block, he wasn't doing anything more than removing frequencies where the guitar doesn't need to be at anyway. Most sound guys I know will do that to keep the guitar from competing with the bass.

I agree with this, but what i am hearing in Q1.6 is not changing the sound of the cabinet where Q3.0 amp modeling to me is making the same ir I am using sound darker and not as clear as I stated before I have never had to adjust the cabinet only the basic amp parameters using the plexi 100 and cabinet 55 to get a sound that I like.... I have a 68 plexi and am quite familiar with what that amp is supposed to sound like That is all I am trying to say.

Well it is still a beta and, as someone stated before, the reason for this update being a 3.0 instead of 2.1 is it indicates a possible change in how your tones may sound. Could also be the way that the axe is handling the signal coming from your guitar? I'm no electronics wizard here. Just taking a stab in the dark on that one.

Now I'm curious to give the Recto models a try on Q 3.0 and see how they respond to the real thing.
Loaded Q3 and started a Recto patch from scratch. First impression was that it was darker and almost deadened. Trying to match to the physical amp was difficult. In order to get it to cut through like the real amp, I had to try increasing the treble, presence, and/or dynamic presence. All that did was add nasty fizziness that is not as pronounced in the physical amp.

The previous firmware versions are not accurate to the real amp either, but Q3 is definitely a step in the wrong direction for the Recto1 Red Mdrn. IMHO

Rolled back to Q2. :cool:

again, people having very different experiences with the same firmware. always interesting.

I agree its always interesting. My experience has always been that things had improved, especially when Q2.04 came out. The tone and feel aspects where much more noticeable to me. However, the name timeout issue from Q2.04 is driving me crazy. I've tried all suggestions on the board and still have the issue. So hoping Q3's release will fix that problem because it never showed up in the past, but right away after Q2.04 it was there and seems to be getting worse.

Loaded Q3 and started a Recto patch from scratch. First impression was that it was darker and almost deadened. Trying to match to the physical amp was difficult. In order to get it to cut through like the real amp, I had to try increasing the treble, presence, and/or dynamic presence. All that did was add nasty fizziness that is not as pronounced in the physical amp.

The previous firmware versions are not accurate to the real amp either, but Q3 is definitely a step in the wrong direction for the Recto1 Red Mdrn. IMHO

Rolled back to Q2. :cool:

There is no need to roll back as you can select Q2 from the modeling version menu. You have the option of Q2.00, Q2.01 or the latest. A perusal of the Release Notes seems to be in order.

There is no need to roll back as you can select Q2 from the modeling version menu. You have the option of Q2.00, Q2.01 or the latest. A perusal of the Release Notes seems to be in order.
I have read and understood the release notes. I made the decision to load the firmware instead. If I get a wild hair, I'll load Q3 whenever it comes out of beta.

Back
Top Bottom