Quantum 3.0 HBE V2 and Ultimate V30 4x12 Comparison

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
After doing several Cab Packs and once again creating a Cab Pack with Vintage 30 speakers (ML Dizzy based on Diezel 4x12 Cab Pack will be out soon and includes both a G12K100 4x12 and a V30 4x12 cabinet) I've been receiving some questions about how it compares to other V30 4x12 cabinets. It's IMO without a doubt the best sounding 60w V30 4x12 cabinet I've had the pleasure of shooting yet.

Take a listen to this clip with Alloy Aces SM57-MD421 on the left and SM57-R121 on the right hand side of the mix:

1) ML Dizzy V30 based on a Diezel 4x12
2) ML Euro based on a Bogner 4x12
3) ML Angle based on an Engl 4x12 Pro
4) ML Citrus based on an Orange 4x12

As far as scientific measurements go it's a bit uncanny how similar responses I've managed to get out of these cabinets. The overall tonality of a V30 is there as it should be but the Orange cab is the most neutral one with the most low end. The Angle and Diezel are closer to each other as they are both front loaded cabinets however the Diezel cab is more open sounding like the speakers can breathe while the Angle is very angry sounding. Bogner is actually a bit similar to the Engl in it's middle focus and woody tone. It's not a race and not for me to decide what everyone should prefer so please take a listen. :)

For a more detailed preview of the upcoming ML Dizzy pack I hired a Norwegian male model to go through the pack for you guys:

Interesting.

I like your approach of getting similar response curves and letting the cabinet and speaker character come through vs. having much more radical differences.

It makes picking among a lot of IR's easier for the way I like to work.

With the Bogner 4x12 I always used the character descriptor "wooden" in my head when playing through impulses of it. Personally one of my favorites still, and definitely thought it sounded great in this test

Orange all day, so balanced and open sounding. btw is that orange LP the new one you picked up on your trip? (shes a looker!)
Yeah that's the one. :) One of the prettiest LPs I've ever seen.

What I love about this comparison is that people have their own preferances and clearly no one thinks all V30 4x12 cabs sound the same.

The Mesa V30 speaker is a different speaker design. It's tone is actually closer to a Pre-Rola Greenback speaker than a "real"/"regular"/"normal" Celestion V30 according to my measurements. I think I'll create a comparison between the Mesa V30 and the normal V30 in a separate thread. :)

The Mesa V30 speaker is a different speaker design. It's tone is actually closer to a Pre-Rola Greenback speaker than a "real"/"regular"/"normal" Celestion V30 according to my measurements. I think I'll create a comparison between the Mesa V30 and the normal V30 in a separate thread. :)
Yes, I use the Mesa V30's in all my real cabs as I prefer the tone of them over standard celestion V30's. Surprised though to see you compare them to a greenback? I had some Rola Blackbacks in my Marshall that I ended up selling off and I purchased some 90's era Mesa V30's to load up. Wish I still had the black backs to compare tonally.

Yes, I use the Mesa V30's in all my real cabs as I prefer the tone of them over standard celestion V30's. Surprised though to see you compare them to a greenback? I had some Rola Blackbacks in my Marshall that I ended up selling off and I purchased some 90's era Mesa V30's to load up. Wish I still had the black backs to compare tonally.
It's definitely not at all similar to a modern day Greenback. After doing Cab Pack 20 and the Pre-Rola Greenbacks I was very surprised to see some similarities in the speakers. More so than with a normal V30.

It's definitely not at all similar to a modern day Greenback. After doing Cab Pack 20 and the Pre-Rola Greenbacks I was very surprised to see some similarities in the speakers. More so than with a normal V30.

Have you considered creating a PDF that includes your take on the different speakers and cabs?

I really like your insight into the different speakers and how they compare to each other.

Have you considered creating a PDF that includes your take on the different speakers and cabs?

I really like your insight into the different speakers and how they compare to each other.
I've been meaning to create "something" but honestly I want it to be something everyone can understand. Once things get techy and I start talking with geek vocabulary I tend to use people's interest. :D

Back
Top Bottom