EV ZLX 12p my two cents

If you can't dial in your tone in a mix at volume, and you absolutely, positively have to work blind, here are some general guidelines.

Use the EQ built into the Axe, not the EQ in the monitor, because you'll have the same problem in FOH, and monitor EQ can't touch that.

Cut 8 KHz by at least 5 or 6 dB. Back 16KHz all the way down. You might have to trim 4KHz as well.

Pull 31 Hz all the way out. Drop 63 Hz a whole bunch. Maybe pull out some 125, depending on context.

You can also experiment with a slight bump around 2-4 KHz.

Whatever you do, realize that, without actually dialing in your tone at volume, you're pretty much grabbing a hammer, covering your eyes, and hoping you hit the nail.

Last edited:
If you can't dial I your tone in a mix at volume, and you absolutely, positively have to work blind, here are some general guidelines.

Use the EQ built into the Axe, not the EQ in the monitor, because you'll have the same problem in FOH, and monitor EQ can't touch that.

Cut 8 KHz by at least 5 or 6 dB. Back 16KHz all the way down. You might have to trim 4KHz as well.

Pull 31 Hz all the way out. Drop 63 Hz a whole bunch. Maybe pull out some 125, depending on context.

You can also experiment with a slight bump around 2-4 KHz.

Whatever you do, realize that, without actually dialing in your tone at volume, you're pretty much grabbing a hammer, covering your eyes, and hoping you hit the nail.

Thanks Rex…that's pretty much my situation. Blind with a hammer, me at the next gig this Saturday!. I'll appreciate your advise though and I'm going to make a start on those changes. I might be lucky and it'll sound like the Axe that I love.

This is a great advice, I play mainly at home, but if I go out for a jam I tweak the global EQ inside the axe.
You can play loud at home and get close but the unknown factor remains: the jam room
Would be great if you can come to the venue half hour before the jam and make a rapid soundcheck!!

This is a great advice, I play mainly at home, but if I go out for a jam I tweak the global EQ inside the axe.
You can play loud at home and get close but the unknown factor remains: the jam room
Would be great if you can come to the venue half hour before the jam and make a rapid soundcheck!!

I've already started to tweak the Axe-Fx that Rex provided but I also lower the T and B inside the EV as well (it only for my guitar). Both tweaks seems to be the key. I may have a bit of time to jam load at the venue ...and that will be revealing. So, what would be your EV volume setting at a gig. I'd like to know where I stand with that.

If you need to lower B and T in the EV your EQ inside the Axe needs to be more extreme, put your EV flat as a starting point.
EV volume setting: crank up the master volume, left the input knob untouched

I set my wedge level so I have as much volume as I think I'll need with the Axe's Output knob at noon. Then I have plenty of room to adjust either way.

If you need to lower B and T in the EV your EQ inside the Axe needs to be more extreme, put your EV flat as a starting point.
This. If you have to adjust your wedge to sound good, how will you adjust your FOH signal so it can sound good, too?

This. If you have to adjust your wedge to sound good, how will you adjust your FOH signal so it can sound good, too?

Good point... I started with your reccomendations and then just started experimenting with the EV. I basically just lower T and B by -3DB . Will dial them back to zero. My Axe-Fx is setup as follows: Input 1 for the EV only and Input 2 for front FOH, both know at approx 11'sh. If I understand correctly both EQ settings will have to be the same...which make a lot of sense.

EV volume setting: crank up the master volume, left the input knob untouched

I was playing around with the EQ then I tried lower a bit T an B as well. The seeting for the EV is Input at 0 and master Vol at -14...and that's already non unit friendly..Today I pushed the boundaries though (with my neighbours) and had the Vol to -5 DB. Way too loud for my environment but I could test both your and Rex's EQ settings. A good eye opener.

Yes, start with both Out 1 and Out2 EQ the same. The only reason to make them different is to compensate for differences between your wedge and the FOH system.

My Axe-Fx is setup as follows: Output1 for the EV only and Output 2 for front FOH, both knobs at approx 11'sh. If I understand correctly both EQ settings will have to be the same...which make a lot of sense.

I assume that you're talking about outputs, here's a little trick about output physical knobs:
You can see the value of this knobs in VU page: Utility button/VU page, here you have the percentual values of OUT1 and OUT2 physical knobs:
baixa.jpg
In this example OUT1 knob is near noon and OUT2 knob is at minimum, this feature comes handy when you want to recall exact settings or put both knobs at the same exact level.
VU meters are a powerfull feature too, it gives you a visual idea if the preset volume is too high or too low inside the axe (in the digital realm). You can adjust amp level with quick knobs A (Amp1) and B (Amp2). This affects only the actual preset and is independent from Output hardware knobs that affects all presets.

Last edited:
I assume that you're talking about outputs, here's a little trick about output physical knobs:
You can see the value of this knobs in VU page: Utility button/VU page, here you have the percentual values of OUT1 and OUT2 physical knobs:
View attachment 31807
In this example OUT1 knob is near noon and OUT2 knob is at minimum, this feature comes handy when you want to recall exact settings.
VU meters is a powerfull feature too, it gives you a visual idea if the preset volume is too high or too low inside the axe. This is independent from physical OUT knobs. You can adjust amp level with quick knobs A (amp1) and B (amp2).

Ahhh mate, you rock! The disadvantage of working only with the Axe-edit...missing out other cool features!:( I'm just not a tweaker. Thanks for that :)

You got to show me your axe-edit tricks, is my weak point, I'm so...

I wish I had tricks...mine it's just convenience. It's sooo much easier to use axe-edit then the front panel. I don't do any fancy routing, just straight to output like I'm used to with a standard amp/cab stomp boxes. Some would call it probably boring.

I use T808 Mod, all default except drive at 0.
This shaves off highs and lows that comes to the input of amp block.
The effect is different from shave highs and lows in Global EQ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom