U2 - Iris (Hold Me Close)

Amazing! You are the best! Hope to see you guys soon. Iris is my favorite from the new album.

Can you share your preset? Never heard a better ac30.

That is the result of almost 2 years of tweaking the same preset!!! Although it sounds very different from guitar to guitar (in fact I had to make a few adjustments when I recorded this clip using a strat in standard with 10's as opposed to my main 1/2 step down with 11's). Anyways, we're playing in Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg in May, your nickname looks like you're from one of these areas maybe??

Damn Edo...I've heard so many of your clips over the years but I've never seen you play. I'm in absolute awe of your playing...effortless and you absolutely nailed the tone!!

Another one of those U2 songs that when you first hear it, you have your doubts, but the more you hear it, the more you love it!

Please tell me you are going to be doing more tutorials like that!? That was great! Would love to see more.

[Edit]...Edo, is that Q2.04?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:
Damn Edo...I've heard so many of your clips over the years but I've never seen you play. I'm in absolute awe of your playing...effortless and you absolutely nailed the tone!!

Another one of those U2 songs that when you first hear it, you have your doubts, but the more you hear it, the more you love it!

Please tell me you are going to be doing more tutorials like that!? That was great! Would love to see more.

[Edit]...Edo, is that Q2.04?

Thanks for sharing. :)

I already made a tuto for 11 o clock a while back, it's on my YouTube channel. I plan on making 1 a month or so, if the bands and family commitments allow! Anyways, yes, I'm on q2.04 but I'm still using 2.01 with hardness at 0 for the ac30. I don't know if it's psychoacoustics or what, but it feels it's got that extra sparkle closer to the real thing

I already made a tuto for 11 o clock a while back, it's on my YouTube channel. I plan on making 1 a month or so, if the bands and family commitments allow! Anyways, yes, I'm on q2.04 but I'm still using 2.01 with hardness at 0 for the ac30. I don't know if it's psychoacoustics or what, but it feels it's got that extra sparkle closer to the real thing

I'll check out 11 o'clock. I'm definitely looking forward to your upcoming tutorials, as I'm sure are many others.

Not sure how much more sparkle you can get. I'd say you pretty much have the perfect tone now. Other than the parameters you mentioned, were you able to leave everything else at default values? I still find myself tweaking the negative feedback on the AC30 model even though the AC30 doesn't use it.

I'll check out 11 o'clock. I'm definitely looking forward to your upcoming tutorials, as I'm sure are many others.

Not sure how much more sparkle you can get. I'd say you pretty much have the perfect tone now. Other than the parameters you mentioned, were you able to leave everything else at default values? I still find myself tweaking the negative feedback on the AC30 model even though the AC30 doesn't use it.

Hell no, the only think I leave at default is the negative feedback!! lol
Seriously, as general guidelines, I change tone freq to 530, presence freq 1.250-1450, xfmr match 0.800, dynamic presence 2.30, geq post with +4db at 1k, +2db at 2k and +0.5db at 4k. Speaker drive 1.65, power amp hardness 8 and that's about it. Ah, of course main eq: bass 6.5, mid 5.75, treble 4.80, cut 1.60, input drive 3.40. Like I said, this works great with my 1/2 step down strat with 11's, for the iris clip above I actually set the tone freq to 650 and turned the bass up to 7 and lowered the cutoff in the cab block from 130 to 75

Hell no, the only think I leave at default is the negative feedback!! lol

LOL...Maybe it's because I'm in a different time zone or something. ;-)

Just installed 2.04. Thanks for the information Edo, I'll see what I can come up with.

Reactions: edo
Edo, I meant to ask you...did you ever measure that FS-1 in your signature Strat? Curious if it's unwound a bit compared to a stock FS-1.

Thanks for your setting examples, Edo.

Do you know how The Edge achieved his clean sounds - with really clean amp settings - in the axe with drive to max 3- 4 or played he with a loud, chrunchy amp and did the absolut clean tones with the Volume at the guitar?

What kind of Compressor do you prefer? It always gives a plus more drive to the amp with higher sustain settings, which I don´t want with a clean amp.

Thanks for your setting examples, Edo.

Do you know how The Edge achieved his clean sounds - with really clean amp settings - in the axe with drive to max 3- 4 or played he with a loud, chrunchy amp and did the absolut clean tones with the Volume at the guitar?

What kind of Compressor do you prefer? It always gives a plus more drive to the amp with higher sustain settings, which I don´t want with a clean amp.

What do you mean by "clean sounds"? I think his main ac30 sound is getting crunchier and crunchier tour by tour in the last 30 years or so, I can't really think of any "clean" sounds lately, even the cleanest is at edge of breakup. Also, back in the 90's he had an average of 4 ac30's, so some might have been cleaner and some dirtier, but now (in the last 3 - 4 tours) he's mostly used 2 and I've heard clean samples of them with strat into vox 1 and into vox 2 with no fx added (360 tour rehearsals), and I can ensure you they're anything but clean!! For example, in the i+e tour the only clean sound I can think of is the intro of One, and he's using an axe fx for that, so probably a clean amp model. His fender's are run quite hot too... Probably the clean sound you refer to is just his dynamics, playing from very soft to very hard. Think of I still haven't found, the first verse sounds quite and clean, second verse is crunch, and the only difference in the signal chain is the picking dynamic!
As far as compressor, for U2, I don't prefer any at all. I use it for specific sound fx, for example after the od's for slide solos and stuff like that (think magnificent, city of blinding lights etc). I use pedal comp 1 in place of the boss cs2 and pedal comp 2 in place of the mxr dynacomp.

Nice work Edo. I've been listening to your covers for many years.
I was wondering how you like that Sig Strat, and how it compares to strats you've used in the past? I know the specs, just wondering about the playability and is it worth the $$$$.
Also, what cab are you using?

What do you mean by "clean sounds"? I think his main ac30 sound is getting crunchier and crunchier tour by tour in the last 30 years or so, I can't really think of any "clean" sounds lately, even the cleanest is at edge of breakup. Also, back in the 90's he had an average of 4 ac30's, so some might have been cleaner and some dirtier, but now (in the last 3 - 4 tours) he's mostly used 2 and I've heard clean samples of them with strat into vox 1 and into vox 2 with no fx added (360 tour rehearsals), and I can ensure you they're anything but clean!! For example, in the i+e tour the only clean sound I can think of is the intro of One, and he's using an axe fx for that, so probably a clean amp model. His fender's are run quite hot too... Probably the clean sound you refer to is just his dynamics, playing from very soft to very hard. Think of I still haven't found, the first verse sounds quite and clean, second verse is crunch, and the only difference in the signal chain is the picking dynamic!
As far as compressor, for U2, I don't prefer any at all. I use it for specific sound fx, for example after the od's for slide solos and stuff like that (think magnificent, city of blinding lights etc). I use pedal comp 1 in place of the boss cs2 and pedal comp 2 in place of the mxr dynacomp.
Ok, he´s doing it with his Dynmik and attack.

I have tried your setting and it´s sounds really better, more direct - smashes me direct into the U2-Ballpark, even I´m not a Pro-U2-Player.

Only the PA-Hardness is to much on 8.00, but I think it depends on the guitar.

I´m playing here with the OH Justin York cab and none-Mapleneck strat with Blues PU from Staufer, but it sounds really good.

What do you think about this Edge-Signature-Strat? Is ist espessially his sound or just a good Fender maple Strat?

Nice work Edo. I've been listening to your covers for many years.
I was wondering how you like that Sig Strat, and how it compares to strats you've used in the past? I know the specs, just wondering about the playability and is it worth the $$$$.
Also, what cab are you using?

I must say, i'm digging the new strat so much that I already bought 2!! At first it felt a bit uncomfortable because of the thin neck (I've always preferred 69U necks on strats) but it's growing on me, the light weight, the satin neck and the modern bridge / locking tuners are nice features. Although the key element would be the tone. Ironically I had already tried the same pickup configuration on my 79 and 71cs reissue but those both have ash bodies and they still sounded too thin with hotter pickups, in the sense that if I got a good tone out of them, les Paul's would sound too bass heavy and viceversa. This one is more balanced, so I bought another one for different tuning for my u2 gigs and have my older strats back at the studio for non u2 gigs

The Edge hasn't lost a thing over the years. He's just seasoned now.

Great work, Edo! It truly does sound amazing. Vintage Edge tone.

I think there must be a compressor - if you remember in "rattle and hum" - sunday bloody sunday - the part in the middle, where The Edge only plays percussive Notes - you can see there that The Edge is switching the sound and it´s getting very hard and direct.

I think there must be a compressor - if you remember in "rattle and hum" - sunday bloody sunday - the part in the middle, where The Edge only plays percussive Notes - you can see there that The Edge is switching the sound and it´s getting very hard and direct.

As far as I know, for that part he's adding the tc2290 set at 43ms to thicken the sound, he's done it for ages, till the vertigo tour. In the 360 he had that throughout the tune. I've never "studied" his 80's tone, I got into U2 in the 90's so my reference tone is from the last 25 years or so! Lol

Back
Top Bottom