Fremen AX8 presets - teaser

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
Hi fellow AX8 users :) Here's a few samples of my upcoming AX8 presets pack. Some a normal presets, some are bundles.

The HGSP (high gain starting pack) one has 5 scenes : rhythm, crunch, lead, softer lead, recording. There are 24 presets (each with a different amp model) like this one in my upcoming pack.

The Fender Bassman one also has 5 scenes : clean, edge of breakup, crunch, drive, heavier drive for lead. There are 27 presets (each with a different amp model) like this one in my upcoming pack.

The ones with the [TM] were not included in the Quantum 2.0 package I sold to Axe-Fx II users, but only sent to those who bought my band's album on Bandcamp. There are 37 presets like these in my pack ; each of them uses its own cab, in which I included the tonematch curve (unlike the Axe-Fx version, which has an independent Tonematch block after the cab).

I included two of my "go to" presets : the acoustic simulation one, which uses different scenes, and an IR of an electroacoustic guitar ; and the mesa Lead Paracomp (although my main lead sound doesn't use the parallel compression you'll see here).

It will take me a few more days before I can start selling my presets because I need to program alternate versions of the patches in which I use commercial cabs (as I can't share those cabs). But this time there will be more free cabs, as I replaced many user cabs, from libraries by Ownhammer which are no longer sold, with new versions using some tone matching or else.

I currently have 53 banks of 8 presets. Download link for the samples :
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uwvmfzka4sic2zr/AADmUJ21amCfWyIsLFloExhGa?dl=0

Exciting! I downloaded the free samples, but I am off to bed now - Will give them a test drive ... soon ;)

Thanks Fremen. I'm on the wait list for the AX8 over in Europe as a backup to my Axe-FX and my number one concern was whether your Acoustic Sim patch would translate or not. Seems like you've got it in hand, so I'll stop worrying ;)

These sound great. Especially the plexi and the acoustic one....
I still consider my acoustic simulation preset for standard electric guitar the best there is but of course I'm partial (and it depends a lot on the guitar used). I sound better with my electric and that preset than the other guitar player in my band, which uses a real, but cheap, electro-acoustic, with a "plastic" sound :p

Some more infos regarding my upcoming pack :

– I tried to convert all my Axe-Fx II Quantum 2.0 presets. It takes and incredible amount of time, starting with exporting the blocks for each preset (after some tweaking : removing blocks not available in the AX8 or for which there are only one instance, putting the reverb in normal resolution etc…), correcting the things that doesn't transfer well (compressor block defaulting to Studio Mode during the transfer instead of Pedal 1/2, Amp block level defaulting to -12 etc), solving the CPU issues (which is time consuming and sometimes requires creative thinking). Only a few couldn't been converted : those using two amps (but sometimes I split them in two), or two synths, or two multidelays, or where the blocks not available in the AX8 (resonator, multiband compressor, megatap delay…) are essential for the sound. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to transfer (with some adjustments of course) many presets I thought would be too complex (Looper lead, looper fun, cheesy whammy etc…) for the AX8.

– For most of the presets which used a tonematch block in the Axe-Fx, I "merged" the tonematch curve with the IR (by putting the IR and the tonematch in series in Cab-lab 3).

- Thanks to the AX8 having 512 user IRs, against 100 in my Axe-Fx, I can include presets which weren't in my Axe-Fx II packs, the ones with the "[TM]" prefix. These each use their own IR (again, with the tonematch curve merged). There will be 37 of these, those which I consider the best, although I made around 80 of them for the Axe-Fx (these are the presets I sent to users who bought my band's album on Bandcamp, as a bonus). But I think I'll make a few more…

– I tried to replace many custom commercial IRs with free ones sounding close, with some tone matching and equiing and various post-treatments. I did that for around 10 cabs which are no longer available commercially (Ownhammer HGE etc…). I used free IRs (ASEm, ThisOne) as a basis for them.

– I currently have around 53 banks of 8 presets but the number is growing. I'm making new, exclusive to AX8, presets using the factory cabs not available in the Axe-Fx MKI/MKII, or new IR mixes I just made (and which I can't use in the Axe-Fx due to lack of space). I'm also building a library of presets for around 15 Pink Floyd songs which I'm going to cover in a tribute band (those will be added when ready).

Besides making a few more presets and finalizing the Pink Floyd sounds I need immediately, I still have some work to do : programming alternate versions of my presets using commercial cabs (of course, if you have the cab you can use the normal version ; there will be a screenshot of the recipe in Cab-Lab 3) ; programming a few more presets ; recording a video demo ; writing the blog post with all the important details. EDIT : and of course I need to check the latest FAS cab packs and make new mixes !

Now some questions : which is better, sharing the presets in individual files, or banks of 8 presets, or one big file ? Same question for the IRs : I will share only the free ones (in a separate download than my commercial pack, with many free presets, like I did for the Axe), should I share them individually, or in a "cleaned" bank (with the commercial cabs removed) ? Finally, what, in your opinion, would be a fair price for the pack ? Considering that it took me an awful lot of time (I don't need 90% of those presets in my AX8 as it is a live tool) and that selling presets is now an alternative source of funds on which I count a lot…

Last edited:
Now some questions : which is better, sharing the presets in individual files, or banks of 8 presets, or one big file ? Same question for the IRs : I will share only the free ones (in a separate download than my commercial pack, with many free presets, like I did for the Axe), should I share them individually, or in a "cleaned" bank (with the commercial cabs removed) ? Finally, what, in your opinion, would be a fair price for the pack ? Considering that it took me an awful lot of time (I don't need 90% of those presets in my AX8 as it is a live tool) and that selling presets is now an alternative source of funds on which I count a lot…

The banks might be really nice, as we should be able to maneuver them easily into our own setups? But not completely certain as I have not really imported any presets into the AX8 as of yet. As far as price, perhaps the same price as the current AX2 preset packs? Tough to say on that one.....

No it will definitely be a little more than 30 $. Specially because despite my requests, many users send me money without any instructions, no mail address to send the link to, and no mention that it's for the Axe-fx presets (I wish I had a dedicated website with an automated preset for the sales but I don't know where to strat to do that). So if I make it the same price it will be complicated ;) not mentioning that on the Axe I "just" had to update my previous presets (which already took me close to two weeks), here I had to rebuild them entirely, block by block. I almost got crazy doing that !

Then, I think you should split it into smaller packs.

I am not much of a preset buying guy, so I may not be your perfect audience, but I would not pay $50 for a large preset collection, where I know that I may only use ten percent. I might pick up a few smaller packs if available.

I really look forward to trying your acoustic sim preset, as this is something, I have been struggling with myself. I might even throw a small donation your way for that alone :)

I was thinking about 40 $, not 50. However, I can propose an optional second formula : make the donation that seems fair to you, specifying what kind of sounds you're after, and I'll send you a number of presets that would seems fair to me

I was thinking about 40 $, not 50. However, I can propose an optional second formula : make the donation that seems fair to you, specifying what kind of sounds you're after, and I'll send you a number of presets that would seems fair to me
That is not a bad idea - although, I could see a lot of angry customers in your future that felt they deserved more for their donation than what they got :)

it's impossible to please everyone... But so far I feel I had 100% "customer" satisfactions with my three banks of Axe-Fx presets for 30 $, many of them saying "it's a steal"... And not mentioning the hundreds of emails responding to specific questions etc !

Thanks for offering to create AX8 presets from some of your existing presets. $40 sounds doable to me, although I would like to see them available in banks of 8 somewhat related sounds (synth, low-gain guitar, high gain guitar, etc...) as I may have more interest in and use for some sounds as opposed to others.
Obviously some of your sounds use too many resources for the AX8 and need to be "Scaled Down" to fit within the AX8's limits, so I know that's got to be a ton of work to redo them. Thanks for being willing to do this. I will check out your samples in the meantime!

Thanks Fremen. You're always doing such good work. On the cost/preset thing, I would settle on what sounds fair to you and go with it. One thing the Axe Fx and FAS have proven, it doesn't even matter if you give firmware away for free, someone is going to talk about how it ripped them off or how they are dissatified. There's no satisfying everyone. You do great stuff, so just put a price on it and you'll be supported by the majority here. :)

Don't get me wrong, I do not think $40 is an unfair price for what looks like hundreds of preset. I just do not think, I would buy it. If you split it into four packs for $14.99 each, I might buy two of them or so.

Back
Top Bottom