Adjusting Volume Level Across All Presets

hierogfx

Looking for the best way to adjust volume levels so that all presets are initially loaded at the same relative volume level. Axe Fx support recommended adjusting the "Level" control in each preset's amp block. Is this the best way or are there other solutions.

I'm doing it at the VU meter level for presets I use the most.

I learned yesterday that I wasn't using nearly the amount of gain from the AXEFX available to me - even though I could power out of it with the Matrix. I've now had to turn down the Matrix amp, but now I understand why headphone volumes were a challenge. ;)

What if you want every scene to be balanced...?

well...

the answer then is to use the output level (one per scene) to balance the patch within itself.

I think with the "A" knob you can adjust it very quickly, in the utility menu it's assigned automatically to the amp level.

Global. Blocks.

Can you expand a little? I'm finding that there are enough differences per patch/preset that a global parameter might get me closer, but I'd still have to open and tweak; or does global blocks help avoid the SCENE leveling exercise?

if you use the same amps in many patches, use a global amp. any changes you make and save will be saved across all patches that use that global amp.

if you use the same amps in many patches, use a global amp. any changes you make and save will be saved across all patches that use that global amp.

OK, that's what I thought. Thanks ... I'm still in noob turf and using many different amps for kicks. The AXEFX really is causing me to study tubes, and tube amp design. I have about 20 different amps (although my go-tos are less than 6), but I'm still learning the amps as I missed this whole "Amp" thing IRL for the past 30 years. I was stuck in Hi-fi solid-state land for a long, long time (non-guitar related).

The cool thing is I love learning about this stuff and FAS is an amazing company and the AXEFX is killer. Man, did I luck out with this purchase. I got more than I ever expected.

Absolutely, the amp block is the best way! You want the output block to be 0dB so different scenes can go up or down as needed.

I think you guys slightly misunderstood my post... what i meant is... by changing the amp block, you are changing the "whole" preset (or all scenes that use that particular amp1 or amp2 in X or Y)... if you want to make a scene louder or quieter, independent of the amp settings (and without affecting the tone), then you need to modify the output at the scene level. Which brings you to the situation, of setting your amp for the "tone" you want, then adjusting patch related deltas with the scene level, AND THEN, matching the complete patch level with other patches... which is another process of "normalising" the scene levels... (basically drop or raise all by xxdB to match other presets).

I go to Utility and the VU, horizontal, meter page. From that page, the "A" quick knob adjusts the amp block level. I use the meters and my ears to adjust the level.

Go to this page and strum a big, fat open G chord. See where it lands. Hit another. Adjust "A" until the first hit of that chord lands around 0 or 1 dB.

Repeat for every preset. This is the best method for leveling all your presets.

Ive got for the first time an axe fx 2 xl plus. How the best way to put the total presets in the same volume?
Thanks.

There’s no way to level all presets.
Best way I found to level a preset is press Utility, go right till you get to the level meter. Strum the the strings open with a decent amount of power, keep strumming then use the Knobs to adjust the correct amp.
If you have the preset hitting the line then in my view that’s perfect. The -20db headroom will be enough to stop even a mess boogie palm mute from clipping.

I have to second using the meters. I didn't try this until I had the Axe FX III, having always used a dB meter on the speaker cabinet (human ears are not great at differentiating levels of distorted vs clean sounds, I have found). I used the meters this time, setting all normal levels to the "line" of the meter. Very close, and for all practical purposes here it was close enough to actual dB meter readings to call it spot on. Adjusted my solo levels in the same way.

Some set their loudest levels to the top of the clean line, and adjust normal tones down from that, which works just as well (maybe better). I have to admit that the included meters are pretty awesome.

1st. Use the Meters
2nd. Get up to gig volume and fine tune.

You will find that meters are not enough.

Back
Top Bottom