best expression for Fx8

I like my Mission SP-2 very much, very good quality and smooth, adjustable movement. They are no longer made and can be hard to find but well worth the search and wait if you need a volume pedal and an expression pedal. It has a toe switch like a common wah that selects between Out 1 and 2. I have Out 1 set for global volume and Out 2 is then my "expression" pedal. Don't confuse it with the EP-1 that uses a toe switch to activate an effect. You'll have to use a Volume block in order to use it. It can be rewired to function like the SP-2.

depends what your needs are. the fractal ev1 is a great pedal, and built like a tank... and is huge. if you have to conserve space, you may want something smaller.

I use an VP Jr from Ernie Ball for a volume and another VP Jr. for the expression pedal. I used the mod that I found in here somewhere for it and it works perfect. Although after reading Sonofiam's post above about Mission's pedal, I may think about searching that one out and only have one pedal.

Cant say its the best but I'm using Moog EP3's with no issues at all.
Hi Halikus, I'm interested in EP3:
1.has it perfect linear response?
2.has it a longer (better) pedal's excursion than wha (dunlop and similar)? (in other words: Is it more similar to volume Ernie Ball?)
3.is it firmly stuck to floor or it moves when you press the heel?

Actually I've the Mission SP1 and it works perfect for wah, but IMHO it has too little excursion for volume's swell and, generally, as expression pedal.

I use the Fractal EV1. Love it but it is huge. I use a Mission SP1 for wah, probably would be good for an expression too but I think the 'throw' would be short.

A few comments have been made regarding the sweep of the Mission or 'wah' type expression pedal. It was a concern for me as well since I had used an Ernie Ball volume pedal for the previous 8 years. I've used the Mission for 5 months now and am not missing the extra range. It was fairly easy to adjust to when using it for volume swells, something I do quite a bit. I did have the mindset that I needed more travel but once I really gave it a chance, that eventually went away. Some will have an easier time adjusting, others will find it a bit more difficult but it can be done and you'll eventually reach the point where you won't even think about it.

One more thing, the sweep does not affect the amount of control you have over a given parameter. Once calibrated, all expression pedals should have the same effective control.

I don't have an FX-8 but do have an AX-8 and Axe-FX XL.
I have been using the Boss FV100, FV200 since the late 80's. I have a few of them still but they are old and probably not very reliable anymore.
When I first got my AxefX, I upgraded to the FV500 but I think it's a bit too big and clunky. Does not feel as good as the older 80's ones although I have still been touring with it on my Axe FX XL board.
I ordered a couple of Mission SP-1's and an EP-1 to see what they would be like. I have setup an SP-1 on the AX-8 board and I really like it. Even the short throw for volume I got used to very quickly and I might even prefer it being short throw. It certainly is not annoying me and I can definitely work with it. Using as a Wah, the SP-1 feels great.
I wanted to try the Fractal EV-1 but for this AX-8 board, I am trying to keep weight and size down so just one expression with toe switch to flip between Vol and Wah. Hoping the AX-8 can become my new fly rig and leave the AxeFX in the studio :)

Ty everybody for your responses. Great to be part of the Fractal family.. Been a analog pedal guy for many years then had the chance to test drive a Fx8 and SOLD. ty again

I have both a Fractal EV-1 and Mission EP-1 spring loaded.

I love the spring loaded for auto-engage fx, and I love the EV-1 for all sorts of other applications that require the pedal to maintain it's position.

Hi Halikus, I'm interested in EP3:
1.has it perfect linear response?
2.has it a longer (better) pedal's excursion than wha (dunlop and similar)? (in other words: Is it more similar to volume Ernie Ball?)
3.is it firmly stuck to floor or it moves when you press the heel?

Actually I've the Mission SP1 and it works perfect for wah, but IMHO it has too little excursion for volume's swell and, generally, as expression pedal.

1. The response is linear, unless you tweak the curve within the Fx8 ;)
2. The pedals throw is pretty much the same as my crybaby
3. It quite solid on the deck, a big rubber grip strip at either end see to that.

As for build quality the base and all internals are housed in a steel chassis however the pedal and outer casing is sturdy plastic. Feels solid and weighty enough. I dunno how well it would survive a tour but since im not gigging it that's fine for my uses. Rather good for the price.

Back
Top Bottom