Video: The Power Of A Single Preset [updated 2018 video]

Well, if it does apply an EQ then it does matter where you put it. Because some effects may introduce harmonics in high frequencies which will be simply cut off by a cab block, linear or not.
What Bakerman said. If something introduces harmonics, then it's not linear, and it does matter where you put it. But you're free to shuffle around a group of linear, time-invariant (LTI) blocks without changing the tone.

Delay and unmodulated EQ are both LTI, so placing the delay after the EQ sounds exactly the same as placing the EQ after the delay.

What Bakerman said. If something introduces harmonics, then it's not linear, and it does matter where you put it. But you're free to shuffle around a group of linear, time-invariant (LTI) blocks without changing the tone.

Delay and unmodulated EQ are both LTI, so placing the delay after the EQ sounds exactly the same as placing the EQ after the delay.

What about modulated delay? Are all reverbs equal?

Modulated delay would be slightly different before vs. after cab. With extreme settings like a semitone or more of pitch change the difference might be audible, otherwise probably not.

Reverb = LTI if no modulation used.

When you modulate delay, it's no longer time-invariant: If your modulations are moderate, different placement will cause only a small difference in tone—sometimes inaudible. Try it, and listen for the differences.

Well, that's exactly the point. Not all effects were created equal, so, with all due respect, saying that their placement before or after the cab is irrelevant is misleading.

Well, that's exactly the point. Not all effects were created equal, so, with all due respect, saying that their placement before or after the cab is irrelevant is misleading.

No. The base effect is "delay." A delay is LTI. But now you are changing it so it's not a regular delay, making a delay with modulation attributes. The modulation (pitch) is what makes it non-LTI, not delay in general.

You are classifying "modulated delay" as a separate type of effect, when really it's just Delay with a non-LTI attribute added on.

It's kind of like calling a Fender Twin a non-clean amp when a drive pedal is added.

Last edited:
Hmm, I need to make a new video ...

I improved the GT's layout. I can operate everything from a single page now.

And I've now named the scenes in my song-specific presets:

GT120.JPG

Hmm, I need to make a new video ...

I improved the GT's layout. I can operate everything from a single page now:

GT117.JPG

GT118.JPG

Using page 2 for not-so-often-used stuff:

GT121.JPG

And I've now named the scenes in my song-specific presets:

GT120.JPG

Great video Yek! Thanks for all your contributions to the forum.
Great tones too , sounds pretty decent even through my iphone.

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: yek
I want to show the awesome flexibility and power provided by a single Axe-Fx II preset (XL), the RJM Mastermind GT/22 controller and a single exp.pedal.
This setup lets me recall pre-defined sounds while still allowing me to change stuff on the fly.

Note that a MFC-101 is also capable of doing a lot of stuff shown in the video.

It's a "one shot" video, mainly because I didn't want to re-record and edit afterwards. I hate making videos...
So I know my voice should be louder, I should have prevented audio clipping, it's too long indeed, etc. etc.
I'll do better with the next one, in a few years.

I forgot some things I planned to mention in the video, among others:

• I can switch between AMP blocks within a preset, using the "AMP 1" and "AMP 2" buttons on page 2.
  • I show in the demo I can change between the Fender and Matchless models in the AMP 1 block, through the "AMP1 X/Y" switch (page 2). I can do the same with AMP2, switching between Friedman and Plexi SLP.
  • Drive, Boost and PEQ provide enough possibilities to sculpt the tone of my various guitars, without needing to switch presets.
  • I forgot to demo the Wah pedal.
  • I show in the demo how to change the duty of the exp.pedal. In fact, it can perform like 4 separate pedals.
  • Scenes can be named on the RJM if desired.
  • The layout of pages on the RJM can vary per preset. I like consistency, so I stick to the same layout, except for the page for the Looper preset which displays all Looper controls.
  • When using the (bank) Up and Down buttons, the names of the presets in that bank are displayed (blinking until selected).
More notes:

• You hear the sound coming from my CLRs.
  • The RJM connects through a 7-pin MIDI cable, running on phantom power.
  • The expression pedal is a Mission "RJM" pedal. It has a LED, powered by the RJM, and a spring.
  • The preset takes up around 84% CPU (stereo UltraRes cab, Spring reverb, USB connected).
  • This video is not about sound quality. I used the iPad's internal mic, so it's mono, and you'll probably hear some annoying automatic gain leveling and clipping.

Picture of the preset:

19XLgrid.png

Greetings I just purchased my mastermind and appreciate what you've accomplished with the layout on yours. I was hoping you might share a few basics to start me off in the right direction in organizing my mastermind. I suspect this is much about personal preference however I am not married to any sequence or layout. By the way your video is outstanding!

Also curious if you utilized the mastermind software to accomplish your configuration? were there any technical issues with the MM software integrating with Axe software etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Your board is musical and that's what I am shooting for.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you!

Congrats on your MM!

I use the software to program it, mainly.
No (important) bugs.

Yes, organizing is a very subjective thing.
It took me some time to arrive at what I have now (slightly different than in the video).
Very happy with it.

Ask away.

I want to show the awesome flexibility and power provided by a single Axe-Fx II preset (XL), the RJM Mastermind GT/22 controller and a single exp.pedal.
This setup lets me recall pre-defined sounds while still allowing me to change stuff on the fly.

Note that a MFC-101 is also capable of doing a lot of stuff shown in the video.

It's a "one shot" video, mainly because I didn't want to re-record and edit afterwards. I hate making videos...
So I know my voice should be louder, I should have prevented audio clipping, it's too long indeed, etc. etc.
I'll do better with the next one, in a few years.

I forgot some things I planned to mention in the video, among others:

• I can switch between AMP blocks within a preset, using the "AMP 1" and "AMP 2" buttons on page 2.
  • I show in the demo I can change between the Fender and Matchless models in the AMP 1 block, through the "AMP1 X/Y" switch (page 2). I can do the same with AMP2, switching between Friedman and Plexi SLP.
  • Drive, Boost and PEQ provide enough possibilities to sculpt the tone of my various guitars, without needing to switch presets.
  • I forgot to demo the Wah pedal.
  • I show in the demo how to change the duty of the exp.pedal. In fact, it can perform like 4 separate pedals.
  • Scenes can be named on the RJM if desired.
  • The layout of pages on the RJM can vary per preset. I like consistency, so I stick to the same layout, except for the page for the Looper preset which displays all Looper controls.
  • When using the (bank) Up and Down buttons, the names of the presets in that bank are displayed (blinking until selected).
More notes:

• You hear the sound coming from my CLRs.
  • The RJM connects through a 7-pin MIDI cable, running on phantom power.
  • The expression pedal is a Mission "RJM" pedal. It has a LED, powered by the RJM, and a spring.
  • The preset takes up around 84% CPU (stereo UltraRes cab, Spring reverb, USB connected).
  • This video is not about sound quality. I used the iPad's internal mic, so it's mono, and you'll probably hear some annoying automatic gain leveling and clipping.

Picture of the preset:

19XLgrid.png

Thank you for the info, I like using the MMGT10 and several external switchs on the pedal board, fewer buttons to have to deal with.

$1899... Seems completely worth it though.

The ones who want to complain about the cost of an MFC-101 should simply look here and then never speak of it again.

Suffice it to say, this now high up on my list.
Actually $1899 does not seem completely worth it. You could buy three MFC-101's for that. I was all set to buy this pedal, went to the site and then, I seen the price. $1899 for a midi pedal?!?! I was shocked to say the least. Sure the screen above the buttons is a cool feature, but I don't think it makes the mastermind worth three times more money. Just my two cents. The price scared me away. I can spend $650 and get the MFC which basically does the same thing.

Actually $1899 does not seem completely worth it. You could buy three MFC-101's for that. I was all set to buy this pedal, went to the site and then, I seen the price. $1899 for a midi pedal?!?! I was shocked to say the least. Sure the screen above the buttons is a cool feature, but I don't think it makes the mastermind worth three times more money. Just my two cents. The price scared me away. I can spend $650 and get the MFC which basically does the same thing.

While the MFC is an excellent controller, the features of the RJM go WAY beyond it. It's not just the LCD strips.

Also, the support is wonderful. Just like Fractal, RJM is alays very quick to add requested features, fix bugs etc.

Nice controller and really nice preset. I hope I can make something like that but I need more time with my new Axe... I have to cut many trees yet :) GREAT !!! :openmouth:

While the MFC is an excellent controller, the features of the RJM go WAY beyond it. It's not just the LCD strips.

Also, the support is wonderful. Just like Fractal, RJM is alays very quick to add requested features, fux bugs etc.
It changes channels dude. It's not worth the price they are asking for it maybe it was to you. That's the beauty of it they can ask whatever amount of money they want for it and I am sure people will still buy it but I am not one of em. I would say it should cost more than the MFC but three times as much? I am just giving my opinion. I would consider buying one if they were half of what they were asking and that would still be pushing it.

Back
Top Bottom