Small/Cheap MIDI Pedal for AXE-FX-II?

Hey guys, I'm touring quite a bit but have no way of switching between patches with my Axe FX II live. I recently played a gig and had to use my bandmate's older Axe FX Ultra as he has a tiny MIDI pedal that works with it to switch back and forth between two patches (alternating up and down). Ideally this is all I would need but when I tried it with my Axe FX II it didn't work...

Any suggestions on a small, cheap MIDI switch would be greatly appreciated! It literally just has to be one button that allows me to flick between two patches (one rhythm and one lead).

Thanks!

if you only need 1 switch you can use a simple non midi switch plugged in to the back of the axe fx. The FCB1010 is a great inexpensive midi controller that is readily available, and will work with just about any thing midi.

Any suggestions on a small, cheap MIDI switch would be greatly appreciated! It literally just has to be one button that allows me to flick between two patches (one rhythm and one lead).

I have a Lodigy UMI3... Great option if you want midi.
http://www.logidy.com/?pid=1

As already mentioned FCB1010 is a cheap upgrade too... I have one that I'm about to sell as I just moved to MFC-101. Let me know if that interests you. It's been a great tool for me after updating with UNO and/or EurekaPROM software. Might be too big based on your stated need.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FCB1010

Hope this helps..

Thanks guys, really helpful info. I'm just a bit confused - if a non midi switch is all I need does that mean I could use literally any old keyboard sustain pedal and somehow program it to switch between patches?

The FCB1010 is definitely overkill for what I want and would be too big. I really just need one button that I can stomp to select between two patches.

Thanks guys, really helpful info. I'm just a bit confused - if a non midi switch is all I need does that mean I could use literally any old keyboard sustain pedal and somehow program it to switch between patches?

The FCB1010 is definitely overkill for what I want and would be too big. I really just need one button that I can stomp to select between two patches.

Yes, a single pedal switch can be used, and yes, a standard sustain pedal will work (I've used one for reverb hold before). You can use a pedal for PRESET INCR and you can limit the range of presets to just the two you want. See page 140 of the current manual for details.

you can also set up your patch so the single switch does scene 1/2, when pressing, the switch will switch between scene 1 and scene 2, then you could change presets manually in between songs, this would give you a little more choice in tones during a set that you could still switch clean to lead or what ever. for this you will have to go in the I/o menu on the axe fx, toggle to the midi page(I think I am not at my axe fx) and set the cc# for scene 1/2 to pedal.

Thanks so much guys. Whipped my sustain pedal out of my piano today and plugged it into the Axe FX. Had to go into the I/O settings as suggested - changed the Pedal Type to "Momentary", Preset Incr: On, then just set the preset start and end to the two patches I need. Now I just need to find a dirt cheap pedal like the piano one with a lead long enough to use on stage.

Cheers all, you've pretty much saved the band's live sound. No more borrowing dodgy backline for me :)

They are cheap to buy, but the cable will not be long. you will have to get an extension cable(male 1/4 on one end female on the other end). even if you decide to get a midi controller later these still come in handy. I have 2 on my mfc board.

I did the piano sustain pedal thing when I first got my Axe and was on the waitlist for an MFC.

While I have an MFC, I also have a smaller midi pedal for gigs where I don't need much. I highly recommend the BJ Devices TB-5. It's fairly inexpensive, 5 buttons, and can accept two expression pedal inputs. Can do tuner and tap tempo, patch changes, scenes, or IAs, and has an option for two layers to the buttons (like "Reveal" on the MFC), although you have to sacrifice one of the 5 switches to toggle between the layers.

I have a Lodigy UMI3... Great option if you want midi.
http://www.logidy.com/?pid=1

As already mentioned FCB1010 is a cheap upgrade too... I have one that I'm about to sell as I just moved to MFC-101. Let me know if that interests you. It's been a great tool for me after updating with UNO and/or EurekaPROM software. Might be too big based on your stated need.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FCB1010

Hope this helps..

I have an FCB1010. I got the Eureka chip and it works well. One thing I would warn; be careful if someone should buy one, the pedals sometimes do not output the full range. Apparently there is sometimes a way to fix this...but it would have been better if I didn't get a unit with this issue. Ah well, I have Mission pedals for Wah and stuff now (FCB1010 pedals, even if they worked perfectly, would suck for Wah IMHO), and just use the pedals on my FCB1010 for less sensitive stuff.

you'll be done within a couple bucks with my solution:
a wall type electric switch and a TS cable.
i made two of these. one goes up, other goes down.
you need just one i guess..

Attachments

• 2016-03-01 21.15.59.jpg
    2016-03-01 21.15.59.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 57
MIDI Mate. $200 (less used). And you get 5 patch changes and scenes.

EDIT: OK I thought this was different than what Bakerman told me a few months ago but I guess it's the same-use midi mapping so 5-9 on midi mate maps to scenes I choose. my bad again

Sorry to jump in but can you direct me somewhere where I can see how to do that with my Midi mate and my xl+. Sold my lf+jr+ , big mistake a while ago. once again sorry to jump in like this
Thanks Frank

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom