FX8 with atomic amplifire ?

1poorplayer

Power User
My Atomic AmpliFIRE sounds pretty good. It has effects , but they are "weak". Another limitation is its 3 button layout.

I'm curious how it would react combined with the FX8 , since it is an amp modeler. Would this setup work ?

My Atomic AmpliFIRE sounds pretty good. It has effects , but they are "weak". Another limitation is its 3 button layout.

I'm curious how it would react combined with the FX8 , since it is an amp modeler. Would this setup work ?
The FX8 is not an amp modeler, it's strictly an effects unit. The AX8 is the amp modeler version.

The FX8 is not an amp modeler, it's strictly an effects unit. The AX8 is the amp modeler version.

I meant "since the Atomic AmpliFIRE is an amp modeler".
I'm thinking it would simulate the amp , and the FX8 would give you all the great effects and footswitches.

I meant "since the Atomic AmpliFIRE is an amp modeler".
I'm thinking it would simulate the amp , and the FX8 would give you all the great effects and footswitches.
My bad, mis-read the question (removing foot now!). I don't see why it wouldn't work, I tried the FX8 with my POD XT Live just for kicks and it worked just fine. The FX8 is very transparent no matter how I've used it; into the front of the amp or 4 cable method.

I've used it with the AmpliFIRE and it works well. 4CM with FX8 is easy and adds a lot, especially as the AA's effects are not even close to the FX8. Of course the AX8 does that 1000 times better, so if that's a target for a main rig, I'd sell both and get an AX8 once the demand dies down. I hope that doesn't appear snarky...really not intended to be.

Just curious, do the drives in the FX8 alone tickle your fancy? Or do you want the amp sims?

Some of the amp sims , IMO , are pretty good in the AA. The pedal , with it's 3 footswitches and it's lack of great effects , makes it too limited for my needs.

I've used it with the AmpliFIRE and it works well. 4CM with FX8 is easy and adds a lot, especially as the AA's effects are not even close to the FX8. Of course the AX8 does that 1000 times better, so if that's a target for a main rig, I'd sell both and get an AX8 once the demand dies down. I hope that doesn't appear snarky...really not intended to be.

It's all good. Truth is , I've got an AX8. No complaints. I've demoted the AA to a fellow band mate , and I went thru presets last night , to dial them in for him , and found myself still enjoying tones , - when the thought occurred to me that the FX8 might make it more viable. - if they paired ok together.

I've been running an AmpliFire in 4CM with my FX8 for several months now. I like it. Obviously not as compact as an AX8 is, but I'm really pleased with everything. I'm using FX8 scenes to select presets on my AF, which is really handy. Since the new FX8 firmware came out I started making use of the 3 AF foot switches. 1st switch for drives from the AF, the other two switches toggle between 2 different flavors of clean and crunch. They go together like drunk & disorderly. I love it.

Don't have the Amplifire, but have run 4CM as guitar > FX8 > Effectrode Blackbird > FX8> Two Notes CAB > PA and it works great. The drives in the FX8 should get you anywhere you want them to take you. Some of the complaints have been that there is "too much gain" on the drives. Compared with the actual pedals that I have owned, I would agree. But you can dial back the gain. Keep in mind you can also modify other parameters in the pedal sim and create your own sound. Alternatively, as previously mentioned, you can get an AX8 and have the same pedals with amp sims that are excellent (have the AX8 as well).

I run the FX8 5CM (returning with stereo in the loop) with my Kemper and it is now glorious! The onboard converters really add magic to the sound of everything the FX8 touches.

I run the FX8 5CM (returning with stereo in the loop) with my Kemper and it is now glorious! The onboard converters really add magic to the sound of everything the FX8 touches.

Have yet to try that myself. Can only imagine how great it must sound. Others have commented how well the FX8 and Kemper go together. Is that irony or what?

People may jump to kemper since fractal product is very hard to find, I've read the power head +remote is very portable since it can plug direct to cabinet , and makes many people ( maybe me) think of the kemper

All joking aside they really work well together. Hoping down the road to get the AXE II one day as well. Gotta see how the cards fall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom