Fractal Audio AMP models: 5F1 Tweed and 5F1 Tweed EC (Fender Champ and Vibro-Champ)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I'm adding information to the wiki about the amp models all the time. While on it, why not put the models into the spotlight? So starting today: a series of threads, focussing on all amp models. Frequency: maybe a thread a day, maybe not, we'll see how it goes. I'll just follow the order of the models in the hardware and wiki. The information is derived from this wiki page. If the information is not correct, just reply and I'll use it to update the wiki, so it works both ways.

* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *
Champ.jpg

5F1 Tweed: based on Fender Tweed Champ

The 5F1 Tweed model is based on a Fender Champ from the Tweed era.

The Tweed era is the earliest period of Fender amplification (late '40s - early 60s'), before the Blonde, Brownface, Blackface and Silverface models. Very collectible amplifiers. "Tweed" is based on the cloth covering used at that time, as seen in the picture above. Tweed amplifiers typically break up earlier than later "cleaner" models and are known for their warm-sounding overdrive. More information.​

The Fender Champ was originally marketed as a practice / student amp with only 5 watts output. This specific model has a simple 5F1 circuit, which was produced between '58 and '64 and is the most famous Champ circuit. It's Class-A, single-ended: one 6V6 power tube.

The low output and small 1x8" speaker make the amp break up very early. The tiny speaker also makes it sound boxy. Crank the volume and you understand immediately what the expression "farty bassnotes" mean. Nevertheless, the Champ was a popular amp for use in recording studios. Eric Clapton's Layla and Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way were recorded through a Champ, allegedly.

It just has a single Volume control. There are no tone knobs or other controls. If authenticity matters to you, stick to adjusting Input Drive.

The Champ provides a High and a Low input to plug the guitar into. Axe-Fx II models of Fender amps are always based on the High input. To get the equivalent of using the Low input, set Input Trim to 0.500.

Select one of the "1x8" stock cabs for authenticity. This wiki page lists the stock 1x8" cabs.

A selection of YouTube videos:

Last edited:
This amp has character that stands out IMO. It's rude and unclean but thick and hearty at the same time.

It just has a single Volume control. There are no tone knobs or other controls. If authenticity matters to you, stick to adjusting Input Drive.

Where would you leave the other knobs (bass, mid, treble, presence, bright switch) in this case?
-
Austin

Where would you leave the other knobs (bass, mid, treble, presence, bright switch) in this case?
-
Austin

At default.

Default = the position of the controls after resetting the Amp block.

Resetting on the Axe-Fx II means double-tapping Bypass on the hardware, or clicking Block > Initialize in Axe-Edit.
Resetting on the AX8 means pressing Shift - 2x Edit, or clicking Block > Initialize in AX8-Edit.

Last edited:
At default.

Default = the position of the controls after resetting the Amp block.

Resetting on the Axe-Fx II means double-tapping Bypass on the hardware, or clicking Block > Initialize in Axe-Edit.
Resetting on the AX8 means pressing Shift - 2x Edit, or clicking Block > Initialize in AX8-Edit.

That's what I assumed, but I figured it was better to ask and be sure. Thanks! :D
-
Austin

and I just got rid of my GAS for a Fender strat ,(bought a PS3 instead for some racing )......and then you bring this kind of nice sounds......^^^^ :(:(:(:(:(

Great Vids !!

Every guitar player should have at least one strat in his guitar collection. ;-)

Anyway, IMHO one should not use a Gibson with a Champ. The Champ can't handle the input signal. You get this tone:

Back
Top Bottom