Removing AX8 Feet for Velcro?

Sruli

Inspired
Has anyone put velcro on their Ax8? When taking off the feet did you have to replace the screws? Does anyone know what size screws are needed to have them flush against the unit with the feet off?

Sorry, I've deleted other posts here so I can give the official reply.

When removing the AX8 feet, we recommend that you use a SUBSTITUTE replacement screw. The provided screws are meant to hold the feet on and their length is such that they might make contact with other parts when driven fully in when the feet are not present (this is unlikely but not impossible.)

Instead, please use M3.5 x 6mm flat head screws. The flat head is conical, and will not be flush once driven in, but the screw head will partially seat itself in the hole. Do not over tighten the screws.

The reasons for this are: 1) While the end-caps hold the AX8 top and bottom panels together, the front center foot also helps hold these parts together and 2) replacing the screws ensures that dirt or other particles won't enter the chassis.

As for Velcro, always use professional "DUAL LOCK" velcro, which has sufficient height to prevent these exposed screw heads from bearing too much weight and also holds the AX8 firmly in place on your board.

If you need to know where to find these screws in the USA, please email support@fractalaudio.com

Last edited:
M@, do you have link on where to find these screws? I've been Googling, but I keep coming up with M3x6mm and not M3.5x6mm. Thanks!

Fastenal has that size but I'd check with FAS Support to make sure you get precisely the right size screw.

Last edited:
Instead, please use M3.5 x 6mm flat head screws. The flat head is conical, and will not be flush once driven in, but the screw head will partially seat itself in the hole. Do not over tighten the screws.

As for Velcro, always use professional "DUAL LOCK" velcro, which has sufficient height to prevent these exposed screw heads from bearing too much weight and also holds the AX8 firmly in place on your board.

If you need to know where to find these screws in the USA, please email support@fractalaudio.com

does this also apply to the fx8?

Sorry, I've deleted other posts here so I can give the official reply.

When removing the AX8 feet, we recommend that you use a SUBSTITUTE replacement screw. The provided screws are meant to hold the feet on and their length is such that they might make contact with other parts when driven fully in when the feet are not present (this is unlikely but not impossible.)

The reasons for this are: 1) While the end-caps hold the AX8 top and bottom panels together, the front center foot also helps hold these parts together and 2) replacing the screws ensures that dirt or other particles won't enter the chassis.

And does this apply to the MFC???

Great........I see this after I have removed the feet, reused the original screws, and applied velcro to the bottom of my unit. Did the same thing with my MFC and never thought twice about doing it to the AX8. Looks like I will be going back and taking a look at the AX8 when I get home this evening.

Great........I see this after I have removed the feet, reused the original screws, and applied velcro to the bottom of my unit. Did the same thing with my MFC and never thought twice about doing it to the AX8. Looks like I will be going back and taking a look at the AX8 when I get home this evening.

I think you're doing it wrong here my friend, if I understand what M@ said, the original screw without the rubber frets are too long and may contacts other parts inside the units and create shorts

I just went to the hardware store and they only had M3 and M4 screws. I did see some M3-.5x6mm but the .5 is the pitch. After using some tools in the hardware store, it does seem the stock screw on the AX8 is between M3 & M4 in size, so it must be M3.5 and not M3-.5

The stock screw appears to be 8mm deep vs 6mm like recommended. So, I checked the various depths of the screws on the AX8 and it seems like the 8mm is ok for all the holes except the center rear hole (near the usb). I used a flashlight, toothpick and calipers to check the depth, etc. It does seem that 8mm does fit here too, but there is only ~1-3 mm of clearance after install. Maybe some chassis flex could cause these to touch(?).

I proceeded to head to the garage and cut the stock screw from 8mm down to 6mm using a dremel cut-off wheel. All fixed or so it seems.

Maybe Admin M@ can comment if the center rear screw is the only one that needs to be changed from 8mm to 6mm.

I just went to the hardware store and they only had M3 and M4 screws. I did see some M3-.5x6mm but the .5 is the pitch. After using some tools in the hardware store, it does seem the stock screw on the AX8 is between M3 & M4 in size, so it must be M3.5 and not M3-.5

The stock screw appears to be 8mm deep vs 6mm like recommended. So, I checked the various depths of the screws on the AX8 and it seems like the 8mm is ok for all the holes except the center rear hole (near the usb). I used a flashlight, toothpick and calipers to check the depth, etc. It does seem that 8mm does fit here too, but there is only ~1-3 mm of clearance after install. Maybe some chassis flex could cause these to touch(?).

I proceeded to head to the garage and cut the stock screw from 8mm down to 6mm using a dremel cut-off wheel. All fixed or so it seems.

Maybe Admin M@ can comment if the center rear screw is the only one that needs to be changed from 8mm to 6mm.

Hopefully, that way I can just use the scrws for all the holes except the one by the USB.

I went looking in my local shops and no luck!

I bought a pack of 100 on Amazon Prime for $2. I'll post back here with a link after I get them and confirm they are correct.

I was planning on contacting Support before removing the feet to check how it affected the warranty. This thread was very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom