Underrated Amp Models

I tuned up the Euro Blue for edge of break -up tones, and tend to use the single coil/tapped Pups (PRS P24 Artist with 57/08's and LR Baggs Piezo). That would be an "underrated" amp.

With Q2.03 though, the Class A amps are quite capturing and amazing, and I've been stuck on some of the Fenders (Twin, Deluxe, Super) for a week now.

A little love for the Diezel VH4 Blue amp models for three channels. Go download the VH4 manual from their website which comes with a chart of how to program about 20 presets, and create those in the AXE FX with Axe Edit. Very, very versatile amp covering a lot of ground from classic to modern, not just a thrash gain monster.

Cliff also just add a BludoOjai Lead 2 model with is with the mid switch on, and I'm digging that. Quantum 2.0 beta firmware really made ALL the Dumble and D-style amps sound better.

But I swear if I could only have one or two amp models to praise, I'd probably pick the JTM45, followed by the Euro Blue vintage.

I discovered and fell in love with the Herbie late in the game unfortunately, the last few firmwares I'm just not connecting with it though. Something in the gain but not sure how to describe it.

For me, I get the best results with this amp by adjusting the dynamic depth and presence knobs and engaging the lo cut.

I also run this with the gain at about 11 o clock and adjusting EQ to taste, I find this to really bring out the best in my guitars.

Of course though, YMMV.

For me, I get the best results with this amp by adjusting the dynamic depth and presence knobs and engaging the lo cut.

I also run this with the gain at about 11 o clock and adjusting EQ to taste, I find this to really bring out the best in my guitars.

Of course though, YMMV.
Awesome I'll try this tomorrow night when I do some more demo work.

The Carol Ann Triptik and OD2 have become my go to amps for dirty. I really like the. Divided by 13 models too for cleaner sounds. I don't see any of these gettin a lot of attention on here.
A long time ago the forum faved about the Triptik and I have been using it ever since

A little love for the Diezel VH4 Blue amp models for three channels. Go download the VH4 manual from their website which comes with a chart of how to program about 20 presets, and create those in the AXE FX with Axe Edit. Very, very versatile amp covering a lot of ground from classic to modern, not just a thrash gain monster.

Cliff also just add a BludoOjai Lead 2 model with is with the mid switch on, and I'm digging that. Quantum 2.0 beta firmware really made ALL the Dumble and D-style amps sound better.

But I swear if I could only have one or two amp models to praise, I'd probably pick the JTM45, followed by the Euro Blue vintage.

Seriously feel like an idiot for not even thinking of this....Whats this first thing I've done in the past when I get a new amp.... Look at the freaking manual for suggestive settings...Man am I an idiot !! Seriously great suggestion - I just tried pretty much all the the settings on the Diesel sample page and every one sounds better than the next. No effects, no other blocks, just the amp. I am more and more impressed with this thing every day. Thanks for the great suggestion austin buddy - you made my night!

If you want more clarity in the low mids from the BE/HBE reduce Negative Feedback. Friedman's designs are a bit odd in that he takes the feedback off the speaker jack rather than off a transformer tap. The mating cab for a BE/HBE is 16 ohms which means lots of feedback. But if you connect the amp to an 8 ohm load there is about 30% less feedback. The amp will sound tighter and clearer in the low mids.

Worth adding to wiki, etc..
Thanks for the suggestion Cliff

Bludojai!!! I've been able to find stellar strat tones and LP tones with this amp. Never used a real one and they have been off of my radar. But as I was constructing strat tones I found it. I can get that amazing Tubey sound that I craved and it blends really well with other amps...

If you want more clarity in the low mids from the BE/HBE reduce Negative Feedback. Friedman's designs are a bit odd in that he takes the feedback off the speaker jack rather than off a transformer tap. The mating cab for a BE/HBE is 16 ohms which means lots of feedback. But if you connect the amp to an 8 ohm load there is about 30% less feedback. The amp will sound tighter and clearer in the low mids.

@FractalAudio, does this apply to the Smallbox as well (30% off the Neg.Feedback setting).

My main overdrive tone comes from the Cornford MK50 model. I like it so much I wish there were more Cornford models modeled.

I'm a big fan of the Cornford too.
Great tones.

I also really like the Fyette D60.
I'd love a 100CL in the Axe, I've got the real one. An Ultralead would be great too.

I'm still discovering amps from the list of treasures, now I'm in love with Fryette D60 for Cantrell tones...for quiet stuff I like Bandmaster...but If you ask me tomorrow I'll tell you 2 or 3 diferent amps, the amps list is amazing!

Last edited:
The Cornford Mk50H absolutely slays and no one talks about it, ever. I think it got a couple of mentions above, but in regular forum talk that amp is ignored and it is great. It would be cool if we got the RK100 from the Gen1s added. Would love to have another to mess with.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I really enjoy the Splawn Nitro. Not many people seem to use it, but paired with the Splawn Quick Rod it sounds amazing. The IR for the Nitro is also very tricky. I've found that the Eminence Governor to be the best match for the Nitro.

I like the Friedman amps, atomic high and the Silver, but since I use the AXE it's the shiver lead I prefer most of the time

@FractalAudio, does this apply to the Smallbox as well (30% off the Neg.Feedback setting).
would be curious about this as well...

will def try Cliff's tip with the BE/HBE....my biggest gripe with those models has always been a congestion in the low mids that drives my ears crazy, made them unusable for me. interested to see if this fixes things.

Cameron CCV 2D is my current fave.

Always awesome:
HBE
Fas Modern 1 and 3
Herbie chn3 (latest revisions and not up my alley nearly as much for some reason)

Back
Top Bottom