A couple MFC-Edit Suggestions

DaZombyWoof

I was wondering if at some point you might be able to add a splash screen when MFC-Edit first starts to load. It takes mine quite a while to get going on my system and I sometimes think my click didn't take and click again. This causes an issue if there is a new version to download and then it can't delete the old file because another instance is trying to load.

One other more pie in the sky thing is that it would help greatly if the couple of settings that need to be changed on the Axe-FX (and maybe even the MFC) could be changed automatically and then set back after the download or upload is complete. I imagine this has already been looked into but it doesn't hurt to ask. You would need to query the settings first to see how they are set, change them for the download, and then change them back to the original setting when (either successfully or unsuccessfully) done.

I was wondering if at some point you might be able to add a splash screen when MFC-Edit first starts to load. It takes mine quite a while to get going on my system and I sometimes think my click didn't take and click again. This causes an issue if there is a new version to download and then it can't delete the old file because another instance is trying to load.

One other more pie in the sky thing is that it would help greatly if the couple of settings that need to be changed on the Axe-FX (and maybe even the MFC) could be changed automatically and then set back after the download or upload is complete. I imagine this has already been looked into but it doesn't hurt to ask. You would need to query the settings first to see how they are set, change them for the download, and then change them back to the original setting when (either successfully or unsuccessfully) done.
Thanks, DaZombyWoof!
They are both good suggestions and I have considered both probably since the initial release of MFC-Edit.
  • The first, of a Splash screen, probably screen isn't going to happen because of the need for a C/C++ compiler, distributable runtime libraries and executables for the variety of Microsoft operating systems. I don't need the additional complications and versions without the splash screen. I have actually already experimented with this some time ago in the past. Doing a splash screen on the MAC is simpler but I insist on feature parity with all operating systems so it might not happen.
  • The second, communicating with the Axe-Fx, would be a fantastic enhancement. Not just for changing settings during dump/restore (I don't think that particular capability is supported by the Axe-Fx over USB/MIDI anyway) but for External Controller changes also. For example, when configuring a "Volume Pedal" or "Wahwah Pedal" in the MFC-101 it would be awesome if I changed the Axe-Fx settings at the same time so that it would work. It is indeed possible, but then I would also suddenly own communication with the Axe-Fx, Axe-Fx misconfigurations etc. and I don't want to be providing support for that. For the same reason I delayed direct upload/download of sysex dumps to and from the MFC-101 and haven't implemented Firmware Upgrades to the MFC-101.
I agree that it would be awesome to do "everything MFC-101" in one place, MFC-Edit, but I can't provide the additional support (as a part-timer) that would be required to uphold the stellar level of support that we've all come to expect from FAS.

Thanks, DaZombyWoof!
They are both good suggestions and I have considered both probably since the initial release of MFC-Edit.
  • The first, of a Splash screen, probably screen isn't going to happen because of the need for a C/C++ compiler, distributable runtime libraries and executables for the variety of Microsoft operating systems. I don't need the additional complications and versions without the splash screen. I have actually already experimented with this some time ago in the past. Doing a splash screen on the MAC is simpler but I insist on feature parity with all operating systems so it might not happen.
  • The second, communicating with the Axe-Fx, would be a fantastic enhancement. Not just for changing settings during dump/restore (I don't think that particular capability is supported by the Axe-Fx over USB/MIDI anyway) but for External Controller changes also. For example, when configuring a "Volume Pedal" or "Wahwah Pedal" in the MFC-101 it would be awesome if I changed the Axe-Fx settings at the same time so that it would work. It is indeed possible, but then I would also suddenly own communication with the Axe-Fx, Axe-Fx misconfigurations etc. and I don't want to be providing support for that. For the same reason I delayed direct upload/download of sysex dumps to and from the MFC-101 and haven't implemented Firmware Upgrades to the MFC-101.
I agree that it would be awesome to do "everything MFC-101" in one place, MFC-Edit, but I can't provide the additional support (as a part-timer) that would be required to uphold the stellar level of support that we've all come to expect from FAS.

Then I guess we just need to petition to get you hired in at Fractal to keep them moving their products towards perfection!

Back
Top Bottom