Quantum 2.00 Tips Part 1

A prize to the person who can explain why "Class A" amps don't sag much.

Is it because in true "Class A" design, the tubes are on for the entire waveform?

By contrast in "Class B", a given tube is on for only the positive or negative portion of the waveform and in the intierim, the tube goes into an idle state.

Class AB uses some overlap between the tubes that act on the positive or negative portions of the waveform, so the tubes are at some point going into an idle state..

So Class A has a more constant draw on the power supply versus the other classes due to less lapses into an idle state when amplifying the signal.

Did I remember this correctly?

By definition, Class A amps have relatively constant drain on current, whereas Sag refers to the drooping of the power supply voltage in response to large transient signals, which lends a certain dynamic "feel" to the tube amplifier that is not generally pronounced in Class A amplifiers. (lifted from Aiken amplification.)

True class A amplifiers have no sag because the current draw at full power is the same as the current draw at idle. Most class A amplifiers aren't biased exactly at the midpoint of the range, and will tend to clip asymmetrically. There will be an offset current component, but it will be much smaller than in a class AB output stage.

From aiken

If this is indeed what you were looking for in an answer, it was too easy to find. something with more complex research requirements would be a good test of ones resolve. Most of us won't know this off of the top of our heads.

Last edited:
FractalAudio said:

The dimmer-squeegee prevents reverse current to the darkness emitting diode (DED).

Thanks Cliff, a great read. I know nothng about amp design, but as hard as i tried tweaking both suppy sag and other parameters,, i could only get the meter to reduce by -0.1 of a dB. Not saying its a bad thing, I was really excited to see a new meter on the hardware and wanted to see it go nuts, cause i just LOVE METERS! I use the VU meters in Utility all the time.

Back
Top Bottom