Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Numero Tres

If tone was holding me back i'd update, but I have a feeling the official release won't be far off.

If I deselect and select a boogie amp, will that change only the parameters that were adjusted with the FW upgrade, or will all the parameters default including tonestack?

BTW I tried loading a second boogie amp in one of my existing boogie patches, but the second one didnt have new values; the sag was still at 0% on the lonestar.

Maybe not relevant, but I think if you can't start from scratch with an amp for fear of losing a ton of intricate advanced settings, you might have the wrong amp to begin with. Of course I understand everyone's specifics are different, but resetting amps shouldn't be a huge headache, especially in Quantum.

If I deselect and select a boogie amp, will that change only the parameters that were adjusted with the FW upgrade, or will all the parameters default including tonestack?

Holding down the Bypass button will reset all the parameters, deselecting/selecting will only reset certain ones, but not the Tonestack. Before resetting, I would recommend copying your settings to the Y side of the amp model for reference so you can see exactly what parameter values change, and so you don't lose any of your settings in the process (I'd also back up my patches for the same reason).

BTW I tried loading a second boogie amp in one of my existing boogie patches, but the second one didnt have new values; the sag was still at 0% on the lonestar

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Lonestar model is included with the Boogies that were updated, only the USA IIC+/Lead models.

Last edited:
Maybe not relevant, but I think if you can't start from scratch with an amp for fear of losing a ton of intricate advanced settings, you might have the wrong amp to begin with. Of course I understand everyone's specifics are different, but resetting amps shouldn't be a huge headache, especially in Quantum.
That's not totally true.
Some people like to have a "Custom Amp" based on a specific amp Brand/Model, just like some people like to mod their real amps ;)

Are some of the amp models tweaked or fine tuned by Cliff before they go out?
If so, I want to see and hear what those values are before I go and dumb them down with a reset.

Are some of the amp models tweaked or fine tuned by Cliff before they go out?
If so, I want to see and hear what those values are before I go and dumb them down with a reset.

Just backup your patches and try them, you can always reload them if you don't like it.

That's not totally true.
Some people like to have a "Custom Amp" based on a specific amp Brand/Model, just like some people like to mod their real amps ;)
Sure. That'd be the specific situation I referenced.

But from helping people with their axe for 7+ years now, I know people grab a recto when they really want a Marshall, and change all the advanced parameters to get close to "that sound."

Hi guys,

Maybe this has been asked but I haven't seen it. What about all the factory presets - are they automatically updated so you don't have to reset the amp block for each? If so, does this still hold true if we've moved them around (I have my user presets in the A block for easier access with the MFC).

thanks!

I thought I noticed a good bit more thump in the MkIIc+!

Got to play with 3 a little bit last night, and that spitty nastiness is gone on the marks. man the triaxis yellow channel caught my ear, it's really thick sounding. Glad I spoke up even if some people took my meaning wrong. Bravo Cliff.

Got to play with 3 a little bit last night, and that spitty nastiness is gone on the marks. man the triaxis yellow channel caught my ear, it's really thick sounding. Glad I spoke up even if some people took my meaning wrong. Bravo Cliff.

Yes, Lead 2 Yellow is supposed to sound the same as the IICX, IIRC, but I've always preferred the Yellow.
Easier to dial in too IMHO.

Yes, Lead 2 Yellow is supposed to sound the same as the IICX, IIRC, but I've always preferred the Yellow.
Easier to dial in too IMHO.

I have a Mark IIC+, a Mark IV, a Mark V and a Triaxis. They're all completely different. Mesa always says things like "sounds the same as a IIC+" but the circuits are different and, probably most important, the knob tapers are completely different.

just went back to Q1.06..
i know it may not be the latest / greatest / most accurate etc..
but overall I think I prefer it.. can't quite put my finger on why though

Sure. That'd be the specific situation I referenced.

But from helping people with their axe for 7+ years now, I know people grab a recto when they really want a Marshall, and change all the advanced parameters to get close to "that sound."

This happens with "real" amps too (and guitars, for that matter). One of the guys I toured with a few years ago kept going to Marshall amps and Gibson guitars for some reason...but he could never get the tone he was after. Eventually I had him play around with my Egnater MOD50, which had various modules based on Fender-type circuits, along with Mesa type sounds, Marshall, Vox, etc. He loved the Fender based ones (with 6L6s) the most. He went out and bought a Fender and loved it, and has been happy with it ever since. He then borrowed my Rick Kelly for a couple of months and ended up buying himself a tele. So what ended up working best for him was dramatically different than what he THOUGHT would work best for him.

My point is, sometimes we just get things in our head that "x, y, or z is what I want", and become afraid to try anything else. Some of my favorite tones come from guitars and/or amps (even/especially in the Axe) that I would never have tried under normal circumstances. One of my favorite current go-to tones under Q2 is with the Band Commander and a FOD overdrive in front of it, bridge pickup with the tone knob rolled all the way off. Creates this singing, haunting kind of tone that I LOVE. I might post a clip of it soon. But...never would have thought to try that combination normally. Just playing around with stuff almost always pays dividends, IMO.

Most of this isn't necessarily relevant to what you guys were talking about, lol, I just thought I'd chime in and share one of the reasons I love the Axe. The great flexibility allows me to try things I wouldn't have access to with the "real" amp counterparts. It's awesome.

Back
Top Bottom