Underrated Amp Models

I came across this old thread from 2013 and thought it would be a cool idea to revive it and see what jems have been discovered since then.

Not sure what exactly constitutes "underrated", but that thread seemed to praise the SLO100 a lot, which IMO is still a killer amp model to play on.

Personally, my go to amp model is the Herbie 3, just love the tight warm distortion I get from it. I run my axe with a SS poweramp and a 2x12 Orange so I don't play around with IR's too much (sorry, Mikko and OH!).

Really interested in seeing what amps you guys are using that you feel may be underrated. :)

I don't know how popular the Triaxis models are, but I like them at least as much as the actual Mark amps for tight, modern high gain rhythm tones. They seem to have all the primary characteristics of the Mark series but a lot less of the boxiness or hollow sounding bass that can be a pain to dial out of the "actual" Mark amps, plus just a bit of their own kind of attitude.

Yeah, not sure what constitutes "underrated" really, but since getting my afx I really found myself imediately gravitating toward the sound and feel of the Euro Blue Classic, Mr Z 38, and CAE3+, but those have all gotta be pretty "rated", no? Amps which I had never really heard of before stumbling upon them in the axe were the Nuclear Tone and the Gibson Scout. I love the trem and just the right amount of grit on those little guys very classic sounds immediately oozing out.

Gonna go against the grain and say the silverfaces and fender normal channels. Have not tried em solo but mixed with the original fenders I am digging.

A lot of people like the Friedman HBE, but my favorite Friedman is the Dirty Shirley model.

Also really enjoy the Carol-Ann Tucana, FAS Modern III, and TriAxis clean.
Funny cos yesterday tweaked the Dirty Shirley preset, added delays flanger, everything, great in phones hope it sounds good live and loud

JMPre-1 OD2 BS ... after every trip to another amp, for gainier sounds this is the amp I constantly return to and feel home. Thanks to the original JMP-1 for conditioning me that strongly ;-)

+1 on the Cornford. I started with the Freman preset using that amp.... And I think I'm in love.

So many amps..... So little time.

Back
Top Bottom