Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Deux

Try the Plexi 100W 1970 with Factory Cab 54. Be sure to dial it in like you would in 1970, i.e. turn the Mid, Treble and Presence way up; turn Norm Drive and Bass down a bit.
Well, I WAS around in the 70s...and holy shit... this reminds me SO MUCH of the wonderful tones Clapton got on Creams version of Crossroads! I may be 61 but I felt like 25 when playing that tune with this patch. THANK YOU FAS!

In my 5+ years of owning FAS product (Standard and Axe Fx II Mk I) I've always had good days and bad days. That's mostly due to my own ear fatigue. I don't want to jinx it, but since I've loaded in this firmware, I'm not getting my ear fatigue. I'm having too much fun. I spent most of the night with the 70's Plexi. I replace most of my crunch patches with it. Then I saw someone mention the 50 watt. I forgot about that one. Spent an hour with that, and now I replace all of my lead patches with it. Those were 2 superb additions.

Those of us who grew up on tube amps and appreciate the beautiful subtleties will appreciate Q2 the most.

Nice!!! I love how FAS keeps peeling the layers of the onion and revealing these complex subtleties...have been playing tube amps since the 70's and this kind of forum talk really gets the anticipation going (can't update for a few days; AFX is at the rehearsal spot these days...)

So the actual tubes in the modeled amp will matter more now?

Cool...it sounds like FAS can really model in great detail the operational characteristics of the various manufacturers of a given tube type; perhaps we will see Mullard 'golden age' preamp and power tubes that have the 'mystical, supernatural mojo' according to the tube amp freaks modeled hah. Interesting development, theoretical data vs measuring a real tube and being able to translate the measured data into code, etc.

I've only tried the Recto Red 1 & 2 models, but DAMN. I've never been this impressed by modeling before. Compared to 1.06 there's an extra thickness, smoothness and tightness that...oh god that sounds dirty,nevermind.

Try the Plexi 100W 1970 with Factory Cab 54. Be sure to dial it in like you would in 1970, i.e. turn the Mid, Treble and Presence way up; turn Norm Drive and Bass down a bit.

Finally getting around to learning all of White Room. With a few tweaks I found the perfect sound with this. 4 hours just flew by...

One of the things I've noticed with this update that I'm loving is how much more range in getting out of using my guitar volume knob now. Before the upgrade my Gary Moore type presets never quite cleaned up as much as his would when playing live, but now my fattest, thickest and heaviest Marshall / Moore presets are cleaning up to a beautiful chimey clean with sparkle when I roll back my volume on my guitar. Even more so than before. Love it!!

I've started auditioning all my presets yesterday, and with the first 40 so far I only had to reduce input trim on a Fender Deluxe Normal preset, and slightly raise the volume of a Morgan AC20 preset. My main lead sounds, with the MKIIC+ brt/Dp, sounds glorious. Maybe a tad louder than before ?

Has anyone tried the new update without using an frfr cab, using the Axe fx and a guitar cab with no cab sim, is there still much of a difference?

It doesn't hurt to repeat some Level tips here.

If multiple presets cause output clipping, an easy fix is to lower the Gain slider in the Global EQ. This doesn't hurt the tone in any way.

And with regard to setting individual preset levels in general: there's is no need / benefit at all to set those close to the clipping point. Set them low enough and you'll never run into clipping issues. Recently I received all Dweezil Zappa's presets and it struck me how low the preset levels were.

Before the horizontal VU meters, I aimed for just above 1/2 of the vertical VU for rhythm. Tons of room for boosts, and always a lot of signal from the Axe in general. Now I still aim just below the new 0 point.

Before the horizontal VU meters, I aimed for just above 1/2 of the vertical VU for rhythm. Tons of room for boosts, and always a lot of signal from the Axe in general. Now I still aim just below the new 0 point.
Chris - when you are leveling your preset, is this with the strings ringing out or are you taking into account palm mutes/chugs too?

Reason I ask is that I notice palm mutes/chugs tend to add anywhere between 4 and 8db to my signal, so I find myself having to take this into account when leveling my presets. It usually ends up with me dialling back some of the low end content, i.e. Bass and Depth, to control those jumps in volume.

Just a little digression, I'm curious, how high is your input in %?

Can't believe this update...there's just "something" about the tones of my presets that just got better in a big way. The new amps are simply killer (That '70s Plexi!) but even if they weren't included, the sonic improvements alone make this a really great update. Thank you (again!) FAS!

Back
Top Bottom