Matrix FR12 active Cab

Will a passive version be available? I was thinking of picking up a Matrix amp for the versatility.

We hadn't planned on a passive version at this point. Although you can get some great results with passive crossovers, we have spent a lot of R&D time on the DSP/amplifier combo in this cab. The results are truly flat as a flat thing ... low coloration, bags of tight and well-controlled bottom end etc. We could probably get close with a passive, and we may yet do a passive version, but the active version is where we have set out sights at the moment.

We're looking at being "very" competitive on pricing against other models out there. We've also just invested in a huge router for the US factory in Ventura so in coming months we'll be building cabs in the US as well. (If you didn't know all the amps are now built in the USA, in Ventura by our US staff).

We hadn't planned on a passive version at this point. Although you can get some great results with passive crossovers, we have spent a lot of R&D time on the DSP/amplifier combo in this cab. The results are truly flat as a flat thing ... low coloration, bags of tight and well-controlled bottom end etc. We could probably get close with a passive, and we may yet do a passive version, but the active version is where we have set out sights at the moment.

Any news on the release date and price?

Look like Matrix is repating last year in case of active FR212...matter of weeks, just now, anytime. Year later no active cab (even on website for FR212 it sais "passive version of our FR212"). Good marketing. Im buying the Friedmans.

Pricing info on Matrix FB. Can't remember the FR10 but the FR12 is $749 I think. Although I like My Gemini 2, my interest is peaked!

Pricing info on Matrix FB. Can't remember the FR10 but the FR12 is $749 I think. Although I like My Gemini 2, my interest is peaked!

The FR12 and FR10 are almost here. I might pick one up.

Matrix posted this on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/MatrixAmplification/?fref=ts

Plenty of people adding their name to the pre order list for the soon to be released FR10 and FR12 lightweight FRFR speakers. You can still add your interest (with no obligation to buy) at

pre-order@matrixamplification.com

Just as a reminder pricing and specs are:

USA
FR10 - $679
FR12 - $749
UK
FR10 - £549 inc VAT (£482.50 ex VAT)
FR12 - £599 inc VAT (£499.16 ex VAT)
We'll get Euro and Australian prices published very soon. The Australian price we're confident of bettering current offerings from similar products!
Remember these will be some of the lightest FRFR speakers around. The FR10 comes in at 9.7kg (just over 21lbs) and 13kg (just under 29lbs) for the FR12.
Sizes are 20.5” x 12” x 12” (dwh) or 52cm x 30cm x30cm for the FR10 and 20.5” x 12” x 17.5” (dwh) or 52cm x 30cm x 45cm for the FR12.
Power in the new modules is around 300w and the speakers are Neodymium coupled with lightweight Italian Poplar cab construction. The DSP in the modules will also handle frequency correction for the active crossover as well as providing a couple of other neat functions!​

Look like Matrix is repating last year in case of active FR212...matter of weeks, just now, anytime. Year later no active cab (even on website for FR212 it sais "passive version of our FR212"). Good marketing. Im buying the Friedmans.

Not really. They never had pricing or actual active FR212 models in the pipeline. I don't think it was bait and switch as much as it was they saw the demand for an active FR212 to be pretty low (because it would have been a beast).

But yeah, their website definitely needs a facelift and some tweaks in many places. The NL212 "video" has been vacant for, what, two years? Their site needs to match the quality of the company (which based on my experience is pretty high), but it doesn't come close.

when the heck are they making this thing available, need all alternative as my Neo CLR ain't been cutting it....shrilly, boomy, and now an issue with power browning/cutting out. Tom doesn't seem to want to respond to emails either. Well, that was waste of $1,400

From speaking with matrix earlier this week they're set for an extra day of January ship date. Seems like they're doing a first batch run of the fr10 & 12's to both Europe and the states at the same time since they have warehouses in both places. Looking forward to trying one. Just really torn between the two models.

when the heck are they making this thing available, need all alternative as my Neo CLR ain't been cutting it....shrilly, boomy, and now an issue with power browning/cutting out. Tom doesn't seem to want to respond to emails either. Well, that was waste of $1,400
Wow crazy. I don't experience any of those issue with my CLR (not neo). I have been emailed with Tom last Friday and 5 min ago about an issue I am having and have never had an issue with him getting back to me

I have had good luck and like the sound of my Atomic CLR. Tom has always responded to my inquiries over the years. That said, my only comparison to the CLR has been the NX10SMA and a pair of HS80M's of which the CLR clearly won. I am very curious to see how the FR series is received, as I want to add a second CLR for stereo (Must have!). Adding the possibility of a pair of FR10's or 12's to the list...

I have had good luck and like the sound of my Atomic CLR. Tom has always responded to my inquiries over the years. That said, my only comparison to the CLR has been the NX10SMA and a pair of HS80M's of which the CLR clearly won. I am very curious to see how the FR series is received, as I want to add a second CLR for stereo (Must have!). Adding the possibility of a pair of FR10's or 12's to the list...
That nx is an rcf right? I had the 12inch bit was a great wedge

Seems like December, turned to end of January which is looking like sometime in February now. Definitely a lesson in patience =D

Back
Top Bottom