Axe FX -> Scarlett 2i2 -> KRK Not Hearing Stereo

the issue is you can't monitor in stereo when plugged into the 2i2. could you instead use the Axe-Fx as your audio interface with USB? then the monitors would plug directly to the Axe. or you could create presets using headphones and the headphone out of the Axe.

at any rate, the problem is the 2i2 and you'd face this issue creating and recording anything in stereo.

Anything in the price range of the 2i2 that is equal in quality and does stereo monitoring?

Edit: is there any quality / tone difference between recording via the 2i2 vs. the Axe or visa versa?

Anything in the price range of the 2i2 that is equal in quality and does stereo monitoring?

Edit: is there any quality / tone difference between recording via the 2i2 vs. the Axe or visa versa?
I think there is used 6i6 on Reverb.com for $190. 6i6 comes with the mixing interface for your computer. It has everything you need.

the issue is you can't monitor in stereo when plugged into the 2i2. could you instead use the Axe-Fx as your audio interface with USB? then the monitors would plug directly to the Axe. or you could create presets using headphones and the headphone out of the Axe.

at any rate, the problem is the 2i2 and you'd face this issue creating and recording anything in stereo.

The problem I found with this suggestion was you then can't playback what you recorded in your DAW through the speakers. The only way I found I could monitor the axe fx in stereo, without having to swap cables around all the time, was to monitor through the DAW. This works ok but personally the latency was a little annoying. With the speakers connected to the 2i2 outputs this also means you can't monitor the axe fx in stereo through your speakers outside your DAW.

These are the reasons I switched to the Yamaha interface which works great. I also know that the Avid Duet works fine too, you just have to pan the 2 inputs left and right.

The problem I found with this suggestion was you then can't playback what you recorded in your DAW through the speakers.
?? Using the axe for USB recording, you can play back the computer audio on the speakers if they are connected to the axe.

?? Using the axe for USB recording, you can play back the computer audio on the speakers if they are connected to the axe.

Ok, this is obviously something I didn't manage to resolve, not sure where I was going wrong as I set the axe fx as both in and out in the Mac preferences as well as the DAW. Thanks for correcting me Chris

So if I am plugged into both inputs of the 2i2 via my Axe Outs 1+2, and I am laying down some mono tracks, do I set the track in ProTools to use inputs 1+2? Setting the track in ProTools to use input 1, 2 or 1+2 of the Focusrite 2i2 should make no difference, correct? Since both inputs on the 2i2 are mono?

Ok, this is obviously something I didn't manage to resolve, not sure where I was going wrong as I set the axe fx as both in and out in the Mac preferences as well as the DAW. Thanks for correcting me Chris
perhaps your USB Return Level was set to -60 - I/O audio menu on the front panel.

2i4 does stereo and mono with a switch, and it has a blend pot for direct/daw monitoring. And has those extra outputs.

I sold the 2i2 and got a used 2i4. Stereo switch works, tested it out today. I have the 2i4's switch set to stereo, made a regular stereo track in ProTools and played around with stereo delay.

When recording guitar with ping-pong type stereo delays, is it recommended to do it with the Axe, using a preset with stereo delay, or to record the guitar dry then add delay in the DAW to mono auxiliary channels and feeding the guitars through busses to mono auxiliary channels?

When recording guitar with ping-pong type stereo delays, is it recommended to do it with the Axe, using a preset with stereo delay, or to record the guitar dry then add delay in the DAW to mono auxiliary channels and feeding the guitars through busses to mono auxiliary channels?
the first way sounds much easier. but what is your goal? why would you consider the 2nd method?

the first way sounds much easier. but what is your goal? why would you consider the 2nd method?

Just simple lead parts, clean and dirty, with cool bouncing delays. I've never done the 2nd method, only considered it b/c I saw it while youtubing tutorial videos. But now that I think of it, the person likely didn't have a tool like the Axe!

Back
Top Bottom