Roland JC 40 and AxeFX

dpavel

Power User
I'm looking forward to buy the new JC 40 from Roland . Would like to use with my AxeFx2XL live on stage , as it has a stereo Fx loop , so I can just plug AxeFx output 1 in the JC 40 loop . Anyone already use a JC120 or similar transistor amp with the AxeFX? Is the amp "transparent" enough or it will color the tone too much ? Thanks for your input ;)

I've been intrigued by these as well ever since I saw the demos at NAMM. The stereo sound is a selling point for me. I'm concerned about how neutral the speakers are as well as the amount of clean power it has.

I use the Axe with a JC-120. I insert into the FX loop, sounds good and is plenty loud. Surprised it's not a more common amp to use with the Axe, it's a pretty common backline amp.

Who tried a JC120 with the AxeFx?

I had a GREAT vintage jc120 - but sold it to get the newer version because i wanted the stereo fx loop to use with the Axe FX.

Ironically- in the idk 3 years- I've never tried it...
Since then I also picked up 2 JC120H - The Jazz Chorus Heads -

I kinda like that because I can use a cab (like w/v30s) and also it has an extra high/treble knob-

anyway - but i will say this- i've pluged a ton of pedals through the jazz chorus and it takes pedals so so so well

given its clear/transparency i'd say leave cab simulation on-

BUT also- DONT BUY INTO THE HYPE

they've made the JC120 for 30+ years and never stopped
they made 40w ones, 160 watt ones etc-

so- why pay $600 for an amp they used to make you can get almost anywhere used for $200?

Who tried a JC120 with the AxeFx?
I did, in a rehearsal studio, and it works fine. I plugged in the front panel, clean panel, and lowered all EQs. Did you try the JC40 ? I'm curious about that one, specially because of stereo input, and the light weight

Bought the JC 40 ,2 weeks ago from Thomann . Use the Fx return of the JC 40 . Compared to my Focals CMS 65 monitors , my AxeFx through the JC 40 sounds a bit nasal ( kind of boosted mids ) , but on rehearsal with a keyboard player my guitar tone cuts better in the mix...Makes a good scene amp , not for studio IMHO .

Bought the JC 40 ,2 weeks ago from Thomann . Use the Fx return of the JC 40 . Compared to my Focals CMS 65 monitors , my AxeFx through the JC 40 sounds a bit nasal ( kind of boosted mids ) , but on rehearsal with a keyboard player my guitar tone cuts better in the mix...Makes a good scene amp , not for studio IMHO .

How are you liking the JC40? I have a pair of FBT monitors that sound great, but too much hassle hooking them all up and tearing down every week. I was looking for an easy grab and go solution, that I could do stereo with. Any insights on how you use it? do you use the fractal amp models and cabs? Direct in or thru the effects loop or both? etc .... anything that you wanna share I would be happy to listen to. Thanks!

I hook my AxeFx2 XL in the stereo return of the Fx loop of the JC 40 , in this case only the power amp of the JC40 is used . On the AxeFx i use my presets as with my studio monitors , amps & cabs on , and I can tell you that it sound GREAT. I tried the AxeFx in front of the JC40 , sounds well with cabs on , but a little too much gain IMHO , witch boost the treble a bit .I only use the JC40 for gigs , still prefer my studio monitors (Focals CMS65) for home use and recordings.

I hook my AxeFx2 XL in the stereo return of the Fx loop of the JC 40 , in this case only the power amp of the JC40 is used . On the AxeFx i use my presets as with my studio monitors , amps & cabs on , and I can tell you that it sound GREAT. I tried the AxeFx in front of the JC40 , sounds well with cabs on , but a little too much gain IMHO , witch boost the treble a bit .I only use the JC40 for gigs , still prefer my studio monitors (Focals CMS65) for home use and recordings.
JC40 is not FRFR , you can notice a mid range boost , but is great in a gig mix , on any volume with great low end and highs . I dont adjust my presets from live to studio , I just got used with that mid boost live sound;)

I use a Roland JC 40 with my AX8 and I love this setup. I don't use the effects send/return and just plug the outputs directly into the stereo inputs on the front of the amp. I set the bright switch off and set all the tone controls to neutral. I find this platform to be particularly good for using cabinet blocks, something I almost never do into a guitar amp with guitar speakers. Also, the ability to run in stereo is a nice plus.

When I'm using my AX8 in a live setting, I normally use a Matrix with two guitar cabinets and hence, I've never tried the JC 40 with other musicians. I'm not sure if it has enough output to hang in a live setting with a drummer but the JC 40 is the most neutral and cab block friendly combo amp I've ever come across.

Last edited:
I just tried my Axe III into the stereo inputs of a house JC40 at a bar jam night. Seemed to work well enough, though other amps were cranked loud, and I didn't want to get into a volume war. I'm not sure what tone settings would be the most flat. I was running all tone knobs at 12:00 (5 I think).

Anyone know what knob settings are most flat on the JC40?

Would using the effects loop return add less coloring as well?

I just tried my Axe III into the stereo inputs of a house JC40 at a bar jam night. Seemed to work well enough, though other amps were cranked loud, and I didn't want to get into a volume war. I'm not sure what tone settings would be the most flat. I was running all tone knobs at 12:00 (5 I think).

Anyone know what knob settings are most flat on the JC40?

Would using the effects loop return add less coloring as well?

I used to run my AX8 into the effects loop of a JC40. I liked it pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom