Comp vs multicomp? (Solo Dallas Schaffer Replica)

jeppekristoffer

Power User
How should I set the multi comp block to be equal to the comp block if the comp block is set to:

Type: Dynamics
Auto: On
Look ahead: 0 ms
Mix: 100%
Dynamics: -1.00
Attack: 2.00 ms
Release: 100.0 ms
Emph: 0.00
Level: 0.5 dB

?

Regards Jesper

those comp settings are very mild. basically the only thing happening is "dynamics" at -1.

i'm not sure of the answer though for the equivalent multi comp block settings. also, due to the way that a multi comp works, it may not be exactly the same due to the different frequency analyzations.

can you explain a bit more why you might need this?

The reason I would like to do this is because I would like to use the 2 Comp blocks for Dynamics +1, and I mean as expanders. One Expander before the Amp block and one after the Amp block.
I use one compressor set to Dynamics -1 in series with an compressor set to Dynamics +1 before the Amp block and thus "recreating" the Solo Dallas Schaffer drive pedal.
Works really great. Try it before a Plexi amp set with a low Drive(3-4 ish).

I then would like a third Comp block after the Amp block.
So I would like to use the Multi Band Comp block instead of the regular Comp block set to Dynamics -1.

Yes I'm talking about the Multi Band Compressor block.

Thanks for your assistance anyway.

Last edited:
A compressor starts to compress when the signal reaches the threshold, wich means for the normal compressor block that any frequency of the signal starts the processing and all frequencies get compressed then. With the multiband it's different, one frequency of one of the three bands starts the processing for that band only.

The reason I would like to do this is because I would like to use the 2 Comp blocks for Dynamics +1, and I mean as expanders. One Expander before the Amp block and one after the Amp block.
I use one compressor set to Dynamics -1 in series with an compressor set to Dynamics +1 before the Amp block and thus "recreating" the Solo Dallas Schaffer drive pedal.
Works really great. Try it before a Plexi amp set with a low Drive(3-4 ish).

Yes I'm talking about the Multi Band Compressor block.

Thanks for your assistance anyway.

The Dynamics knob in the Amp block does the same thing as the Dynamics mode of the compressors so you can save a block that way.

Ok I see. I have to use my ears then. Thanks anyway.
You can use your ears, but the MBC still won't work the same way as Dynamics mode in a Compressor block. Cliff's suggestion of using the Comp in the Amp block is smart, and that'd probably be the +1 setting there.

Does +/- 1 of Dynamics make that much difference? I'll have to try, but it sounds like it might be subtle.

Last edited:
Can someone post a patch or settings of this. Sounds interesting.

The settings for the first Comp block are posted in the OP. The second Comp block is exactly the same as the first but with the Dynamics parameter set to +1. Or as Cliff suggested use the Dynamics parameter in the Amp block.

At Chris: Yes it is subtle. I tried before with Dynamics set to -3 and +3 but it was to vulgar. Haha. For what I was after.

The idea is to use an amp at the verge of break up and then kick it with the compressor and expander. Works really great with the "rolling your guitar knob thing"

Yes it is subtle but I like it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom