Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.02 Firmware Release

I don't know about anyone else but, every time I update my Axe Fx with a new firmware update, it sounds more real then the last. How much more real can it get. I got a gig on a sand dune in the Keys this week, literally , it cant get more real then that.

I feel like the fenders have always been great in the Axe II. I often don't move from preset 00 when I turn it on. It's harder for me to know where to find the magic in other models but with the fenders you can't screw up.

just finished a session job... so last night I was finally able to update...

I was messing with the new delays and fallen head over heals for the Mono and Stereo BBD types.. they remind me so much of my old JHS delay.. previously I've been getting a similar delay tone with the analog stereo by adding a little distortion and using a lo-ish-fi EQ setting..
but these new BBD types are much closer to how I remember my old JHS sounding..
cos they sound totally shite.. which is exactly why they sound awesome..

Last edited:
I have owned my AXE FX for 2 years now and you guys are still giving away "FREE" upgrades for it. At the time I had no idea this would happen. I just thought it was the best modeler there was. Thank you so much!!!

I have owned my AXE FX for 2 years now and you guys are still giving away "FREE" upgrades for it.

<crossing fingers that Cliff/FAS don't start charging for updates> To help support FAS, I try to buy CabPacks whenever I can afford them.

I loaded FW Q1.02 last night and it sounds awesome. I'm a big user of Fender models so Christmas just came early for me!

I don't usually chime in on threads like this... I'm just not experienced enough to contribute much. That said, I love to mine the forum for presets and suggestions about amp and cab settings. The fun is magnified when the suggestions are about new/improved features and models in this wonderful product.

I'm totally in awe of the quality of this product and the value FAS keeps offering to its customer base. I'm personally responsible for at least 3 units being sold to new customers as friends have tried mine and never looked back.

Where is the waitlist of for AxeFX3? I want to be first in line to continue to support FAS development. :)

-Kartman

As a U2 fan, I am happy to see that we get more and more interesting things with each new firmware
(SDD preamp, AC30TB, TC2290, and now DMM delays.).
I suppose that that there could be a relation with seeing The Edge using the Axe FX II.

Just hope that we will keep on seeing some more nice update in the future
(I would dream about a complete modeling of the special 64 AC30TB of The Edge himself :D, together with the specific IR's cab pack of this special amp )

What did I miss?

Nice job, Cliff.

On a separate note; Surely, we must be reaching a plateau with the firmware improvements (I don't mean additional models). For clarity, there must be something] that circuit boards and coding cant reproduce, that is intrinsic to a vacuum tube? At what point do you say "I don't think that I can get any closer"?

The tones that we get, with the latest impulses get us 99% of the way there and nowadays, I cant even tell the difference between the Axe and the real thing. What is left as far as development goes?

What did I miss?

Nice job, Cliff.

On a separate note; Surely, we must be reaching a plateau with the firmware improvements (I don't mean additional models). For clarity, there must be something] that circuit boards and coding cant reproduce, that is intrinsic to a vacuum tube? At what point do you say "I don't think that I can get any closer"?

The tones that we get, with the latest impulses get us 99% of the way there and nowadays, I cant even tell the difference between the Axe and the real thing. What is left as far as development goes?

There's no reason why the sounds available in the Axe-Fx can't actually surpass what you call "the real thing", so the Axe kind of becomes the real thing, (for those who don't think it already is). Like Cliff say's, the same laws of physics apply in both the analogue & digital realm. It's just as easy to create a BAD sound on the Axe as it is using a Valve amp and a few pedals. One guy's sonic heaven is another guy's idea of a horrid un-musical mess. I don't like those scooped metal 'djent' tones as such, they sound awful to me, but plenty of folk on this forum love that stuff. Whatever floats your boat. But there's less and less room for purists these days as the lines get blurred, and rightly so.

There's no reason why the sounds available in the Axe-Fx can't actually surpass what you call "the real thing", so the Axe kind of becomes the real thing, (for those who don't think it already is). Like Cliff say's, the same laws of physics apply in both the analogue & digital realm. It's just as easy to create a BAD sound on the Axe as it is using a Valve amp and a few pedals. One guy's sonic heaven is another guy's idea of a horrid un-musical mess. I don't like those scooped metal 'djent' tones as such, they sound awful to me, but plenty of folk on this forum love that stuff. Whatever floats your boat. But there's less and less room for purists these days as the lines get blurred, and rightly so.

That is such a true statement, I'm a low gain guy, I use my Volume on my guitar more than my input volume pedal, so I removed it. I think I have gone through three Volume pots this year alone.

The beauty of this device is that it is so accurate, that whatever the differences are, are so minimal, that we are now splitting hairs. Does it truly matter whether it's analog or digital anymore. All I know is that I'm not stuck with one analog amp with one sound.

I'm not exactly sure what could be improved go forward, but it will in some fashion. Tone is not only in the fingers, and the fact that I cannot play like Eddie, I can at least sound like him for one song.

The accuracy allows for even better models if the original amp is improved.

For the vintage amp models, the amplifier that is analyzed makes the difference.

For example, if FAS gets a really killer real Marshall, the same model as now, but just a better sounding one, then the model of that could get better?

Fantastic update!!!! New delays so great. Thanx FAS

Confirmed. DMG is f'n tits!

I bumped up the high pass freq just a bit to keep it from getting boom on the feedback, and switched it to 'tape' mode to still have the motor drive function and 2nd head ratio to get a ping-pong feel. For clean work, it's amazing. I think I still prefer the digital delays for heavy stuff and the tapes for leads IMO.

Kudos on all the new amps and Dizzy V4 Blue fixes. I am happy to see some new delays and that just gives us more options.

Fantastic update guys! Hats off for the FAS Boost. It sounds so transparent, it really acts like an additional switchable gain stage within the amp. I like!

Fantastic update guys! Hats off for the FAS Boost. It sounds so transparent, it really acts like an additional switchable gain stage within the amp. I like!

That's really what we've all been after for so long in terms of a boost/drive. :D Fantastic! Hope there's more to come ....

I use a memory man through my Mk IV. This version is great because you can actually hear it without all the noise.

I've never updated FW myself before and I'm on Quantum 1.01 now and want 1.02...

what does "*Note: Existing presets using these amp models should be reset by deselecting and reselecting the desired amp model." mean?

Will downloading the new update not automatically make everything right or do I need to go back in after the update and make changes?
It means what it says - if you use those amps in any presets, it's worth going into them and bumping the amp up then down again to "refresh" them. Presets are meant to stay as they're saved, so you need to "re-initialise" the amp to bring it up to the new standard.

Or, don't.

Back
Top Bottom