Line 6 Helix Reviews Are Starting to Appear...

the internet is full of criticism, but at the same time, anything we produce and willingly put up here is allowing it :)

you seem to be one of the few actually producing content with the Helix, so no one can complain about that. keep doing what you do man. we all get different things out of music, and if what you create makes you happy, that's all anyone can ask for. usually those who take the time to negatively criticize don't ever produce content themselves for fear of criticism ;) strange how that works, eh?

Thanks Chris.

I have no trouble with criticism. In fact, I expected it otherwise I must be doing something wrong ;) My shnitzs is out there... Warts and all.

What's really scary is I may do the same thing with the AX8. What will they say then???

FWIW, Helix is a cool tool. But it's just a tool. No more or less than the average Joe, like me, using it.

Cheers all,
TJ

of course. My mistake : it's also the software, as I said, because of the processing power used by the screens

Still guessing. You don't know whether the screens use dsp power or something else. Like when people here thought the AX8 would use dsp power for cabs and Cliff explained that most of the cab modeling is handled in a separate processor.

Still guessing. You don't know whether the screens use dsp power or something else. Like when people here thought the AX8 would use dsp power for cabs and Cliff explained that most of the cab modeling is handled in a separate processor.

that was guessing as much as it was informed speculation, since that's how all Fractal products up to that point had operated. one dsp for amps and cabs, one for effects.

sure we may speculate, but it's because many of us have years of experience with the product and interaction with the team on this board. it's not just blind guesses in the dark.

3 times the price of a pod HD 500x. I wonder if L6 will ever release something with the same Helix sound but minus all the fancy UI to hit a lower price?

Re: 'Gear' Videos...

I made one once (an FX8 demo). I was hesitant because I know people can be cruel, so why make the effort. I don't personally care much about view counts, not trying to make a Youtube career. But the FX8 had just come out, guys on this forum were asking for videos and wondering why there were so few about the FX8.

Well, this is why there are so few. I was lucky to get some nice comments and thanks from this forum, but it actually never dawned on me that it might have been shared on competitor forums and ripped to shreds by mean people :) It's had over 40k views in 4 months.. so, probably! I don't even want to know. My playing sucks (at least compared to the greats) but I'd never, ever do another vid if my guitar playing got slammed like this.

So if you like videos... be kind! I admire anyone willing to put themselves out there.

The guy at TGP that did the first Helix streams and videos got completely bashed... but the community rallied around him. Do your thing man... it's always appreciated by the people that matter!

Mr. B has all my respect in the world for being innovative and daring. These qualities are worth admiring :encouragement:

I apologize for my comment. It was uncalled for.

Accepted. Feel free to beat up on me anytime. Just let me know so I can do the same :lol

Re: 'Gear' Videos...

I made one once (an FX8 demo). I was hesitant because I know people can be cruel, so why make the effort. I don't personally care much about view counts, not trying to make a Youtube career. But the FX8 had just come out, guys on this forum were asking for videos and wondering why there were so few about the FX8.

Well, this is why there are so few. I was lucky to get some nice comments and thanks from this forum, but it actually never dawned on me that it might have been shared on competitor forums and ripped to shreds by mean people :) It's had over 40k views in 4 months.. so, probably! I don't even want to know. My playing sucks (at least compared to the greats) but I'd never, ever do another vid if my guitar playing got slammed like this.

So if you like videos... be kind! I admire anyone willing to put themselves out there.

Thanks.

Me too. Keep working on the demos. Tjon has the recording and video editing part down, which is more than I can say for myself.

Accepted. You guys bring up a very important point I've said before about videos. Creating a demo video adds 10x the distractions you'd normally find than just an audio recording. This why I think guys like Thorn, Hermans and others are so above the crowd. They make it look easy. It isn't.

Really guys. I'm not upset at anyone or anything. I'm a big boy. I appreciate the support just the same.

Thanks,
TJ

Now lets talk Helix. I'm not sure I can afford an AX8 right now. But, I'd sure like to do a head to head comparison if only for myself.

Last edited:
Oh my yes. The evil red light! Total distraction. I've only recently started playing along with myself a little using the Infinity Looper. It's a great lesson. Really exposes timing issues. But, the more playing, the better.

Glad you're on here, and at least considering becoming a FAS customer. There are obvious pros to both the AX8 and Helix. Horses for courses and so on.

Geez, what a bunch of weenies, LOL! I stand by my comment. Your timing was bad and I stopped listening as I found it highly distracting. To me that's just as distracting as a demo with a guitar out of tune.

I do appreciate those who take the time to make videos. I occasionally have to narrate software training videos and it's a lot of work. With guitar and amp demos I'd much rather hear someone who plays less and plays to their strengths than someone who tries to impress.

It's no fun practicing with a metronome but it's something that every guitarist should do. That and recording yourself and listening critically. I really appreciate that you took the comments constructively without getting mad and will use them to improve.

It doesn't matter how good your tone is if the timing and feel are not there. Keep rocking that Helix and keep working on your timing. Gear is secondary to making great music. There will be plenty of great music made with both the Helix and the AX8 in the coming years.

Last edited:
LOL. It's become the feel good forum. Still, better to keep things civil. The internet's full of so much BS.

Yes. Definitely. Work on the timing, and keep the demos simple. That's my plan if I ever get to start doing any of that.

Metronome is absolutely key. Once you can play with the metronome, you can learn to play around the metronome (musically, while still keeping time). It's something worldclass classical musicians never stop doing.

I don't most people have a problem taking or giving constructive criticism. The only real problem is that, I don't think those of us who were quick to chime in realized he's a forum member and prospective FAS customer. (Getting away with it behind someone's back...)

Back
Top Bottom