FX8 > --?--> PA Is there 1 pedal that can do this?

Last report from me on this.

I spent a couple hours playing a Tech 21 Liverpool and the Joyo American with the FX8 in comparison to similar amp models in the the AxeII. There really wasn't as much difference between the Joyo and T21 as I expected. Both sound somewhat like the amps they are mimicking. But taking those tonal differences aside, both exhibit the same characteristics - Both are too "in your face", brash, harsh, with no real dynamics. Both will respond somewhat to dynamics, but there's no subtlety or nuance to the tones when you back off the picking and volume.

Really no surprises here. This is what I expected when comparing the two pedals with the AxeII models. Maybe it works for some people, but in comparison to the Amp/cab modeling in the AxeII there's no way I'm going to use one of these pedals for my amp sounds. I could pursue this further by looking into one of the tube based amp pedals mentioned in this thread, but I'm going to pass. My FX8 will stay paired with my amps and I'll continue to cart around the AxeII/rack/midi controller rig for direct use. Once the AX8 is available I'll be getting one of those to simplify my direct rig.

I spent a couple hours playing a Tech 21 Liverpool and the Joyo American with the FX8 in comparison to similar amp models in the the AxeII. There really wasn't as much difference between the Joyo and T21 as I expected. Both sound somewhat like the amps they are mimicking. But taking those tonal differences aside, both exhibit the same characteristics - Both are too "in your face", brash, harsh, with no real dynamics. Both will respond somewhat to dynamics, but there's no subtlety or nuance to the tones when you back off the picking and volume.

Really no surprises here. This is what I expected when comparing the two pedals with the AxeII models. Maybe it works for some people, but in comparison to the Amp/cab modeling in the AxeII there's no way I'm going to use one of these pedals for my amp sounds. I could pursue this further by looking into one of the tube based amp pedals mentioned in this thread, but I'm going to pass. My FX8 will stay paired with my amps and I'll continue to cart around the AxeII/rack/midi controller rig for direct use. Once the AX8 is available I'll be getting one of those to simplify my direct rig.

What were you using to amplify the rig? My Blonde falls short of an amp in the room but through an Alto TS110 it's fine. It's not a flat response speaker by any means, especially with the eq button pushed in. Maybe I'm ok with it simply because I don't have the axe fx experience.

How about using Joyo or tech21 amp sim pedal with fx8 for direct recording? Could it be possible? Of course it won't be as good as AXe fx or AX8, but at least the tone will still shine because the effects from FX8. Im gonna have a recording session soon while AX8 not release yet. I avoid to record with my real amp coz its too big and heavy fender deville 410.

Oh, sure, it's possible. And for recording you could spend time getting the right distortions to fit the mix. For recording, anything goes as far as I am concerned. Sometimes the most horrible sound is perfect for the song!

I'm on the AX8 waiting list. The Joyo pedal is sitting here gathering dust.

I tried gigging with the Tech21 Blonde and hated it. Thought it was ok at home, but man did I regret leaving my amp home for that gig.

The Tubemeister 36 direct out with no speaker was awesome with the FX8. If I don't find a modeler I love, that's a winner.

Last edited:
Atomic Amps AmpliFire will do exactly what you're looking for, and it does it really well. Of course, you may also want to get an AX8 instead, based on what you're looking for.

I've already done the AMT SS-11a into a Two Notes Torpedo CAB thing. The main reason I didn't stay with the latter was there was no way to channel switch the SS-11a via the FX8 relays w/o doing some very risky mods to the SS-11. The AmpliFire sounds much better than the AMT SS-11a+Torpedo CAB combo IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom