New Axe FX II XL+ Owner A few questions.

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hey guys,

I'm a new Axe owner as of last night. I managed to get a few hours with the axe and have connected it thru my studio monitors. So far I'm really impress some great tones in there. Later as everyone went to sleep I plugged in my headphones and continued jamming. Even the quality of the tones sounded the same through my headphones. I'm happy to say the Axe will replace my crappy old Personus audio interface, as i can now jam along with iTunes with the Axe.

So far I'm very happy. The plan is to eventually use the axe live as well but of course I have a few questions to ask. Sorry if these have been answered already I figured it was easier to ask you all via this post.

My first question is about input levels surprise surprise lol. My input level is set fairly low around 3% and my output 1 level is set to just under 50%. I'm just checking if that's normal? I had some clipping on the input but as soon as I lowered the input level all is steady on the amber lights. I do get an output 1 clip on a couple of factory presets I figured that can be adjusted within the preset to compensate?

My second question is regarding a clean preset. I've noticed on some of the amp sims even though its a clean preset like the double verb for example I get a slightly overdriven sound when changing pickup selections. I'm guessing this is probably a combination of the guitar's pickups and just a case of lowering the amp's input trim and raising its actual level control?

My last question for now is i plan on eventually connecting up an atomic wedge to output 2 and have output 1 go to the FOH. Do I just add an FX Loop block to the start of the chain in axe edit to do this? I still want all my effects coming through FOH and output 2 for monitoring.

That's it for now guys I hope you can help me out.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:
you're on the right track for a lot of it.

3% for input level does seem a bit low. what kind of pickups are you using? regardless, if that's the setting, then that's the setting.

if a clean amp is distorting, yes, reduce either the Drive or Trim, and increase the Level to compensate. some of those clean amp presets were designed just on the edge of breakup. your guitar set at 3% means it's putting out a lot of signal.

for the last question, and some more related, check out my site's Axe-Fx section, especially the FAQs near the bottom:

Axe-Fx II | AxeFxTutorials.com

this one will show you how to do both outputs: How do I send my Axe signal to FOH and on-stage full-range monitors? | AxeFxTutorials.com

you're on the right track for a lot of it.

3% for input level does seem a bit low. what kind of pickups are you using? regardless, if that's the setting, then that's the setting.

if a clean amp is distorting, yes, reduce either the Drive or Trim, and increase the Level to compensate. some of those clean amp presets were designed just on the edge of breakup. your guitar set at 3% means it's putting out a lot of signal.

for the last question, and some more related, check out my site's Axe-Fx section, especially the FAQs near the bottom:

Axe-Fx II | AxeFxTutorials.com

this one will show you how to do both outputs: How do I send my Axe signal to FOH and on-stage full-range monitors? | AxeFxTutorials.com

Thanks Chris,

Glad to see i'm on the same page as my fellow Axe users. The guitar I'm using is a clapton custom shop strat. It would only break up when the bridge pickup and tone control is set to full on. I thought 3% was low as well as an input level. I'll try another guitar and see if that makes a difference. One preset I know I'll be using is the 59 bass guy it sounds awesome.

One more thing do you recommend using balanced cables for the output's? I'm using unbalanced at the moment to my monitors.

Thanks again

Paul

Balanced cables really should not make an audible difference in that setup.

Great thanks Chris, I've been checking out the link to your website. It looks pretty straight forward as long as I place the FX Loop Block towards the end of the chain I should have no problems using out 1 and 2. Now i have to save up for everything else. Next will be the Mastermind GT.

if you plan on just going FRFR with an Atomic CLR, you can simply use the XLR out on the CLR to the house. The level control on the Atomic doesn't affect that signal either.

You can set output #2 to 'Echo' output #1 in the 'I/O' menu from the front panel. Go to the 'Audio' tab. This way it is global and will work with all of the 'Factory' presets and most user presets. Output #2 will now be an exact copy of output #1, but you still have individual front panel level controls, and global EQ's for each output.

Note.......If there is an 'F/X Loop' block in a downloaded preset, it will over-ride the 'Echo' function. Just delete the 'F/X Loop' block and you are good to go.

Last edited:
3% seems VERY low. Mine is set at 60%, and thats for all my guitars including a Suhr Modern with SSH+ PUs. The IP level (assuming you mean the on in the IO menu) doesnt really make that much difference to the input level as such iir - its more to do with signal to noise ratio. Ultimately though - as said - it is what it is. You should see the odd red input LED flash when hard strumming for the level to be set correctly. If your not seeing any then its too low.

As stated - if your tone is breaking up, reduce drive (like you would on an amp) or input trim.

Again as stated - to Use OP2 for an FRFR monitor like the atomic - just use echo OP1 to OP2. You dont need an FX loop unless your using a real power amp and guitar cab (then you need the loop before the cab block ni the signal chain).

Curious, the Clapton has the mid boost circuitry in it, correct? I owned one a long time ago. Do you play with that cranked all the time? I used it sparingly for leads IIRC.

This could account for the very low input.

The link I shared earlier shows the Echo method, as well as the FX Loop for duplicating to Out 2. I would suggest the Echo method.

(...) My input level is set fairly low around 3% (...)

To me that's VERY low too. All my humbucking guitars (included the ones with EMG) are far above 3%
Well the Clapton Mid boost is up to 25dB boost, so if it's cranked all the time who knows...

Thanks for he comments guys. I tend to use the clapton strat a couple of ways I'll roll the tone knob all the way down and use the in-between sounds on the pickups. Then I'll crank the tone knob all the way up and switch over to just the bridge or neck pickup depending on what I feel like. That's mainly for leads or heavy rhythm parts, The mid boost (Middle Knob) is set about 4 so not high at all I find I never need to crank it all the way up.

So if I go into the I/O menu and go to the audio page I just select Output 2 Echo to Output 1 is that correct?

yes, the link i provided earlier details everything.

So it does sorry Chris I didn't see that I've had a rather long day at work. I've just changed guitars I'm now using my les paul and the input level I had to turn up to compensate. Its now at 40% and the red inputs lights come on now again. When I first tried to turn the input level up out 1 and out 2 clip lights came on but have now gone off and its like they've settled down. A bit strange but all seems ok now.

So it does sorry Chris I didn't see that I've had a rather long day at work. I've just changed guitars I'm now using my les paul and the input level I had to turn up to compensate. Its now at 40% and the red inputs lights come on now again. When I first tried to turn the input level up out 1 and out 2 clip lights came on but have now gone off and its like they've settled down. A bit strange but all seems ok now.

No problem. Glad it's working out.

However, the Out clip lights have nothing to do with Input level settings. clip lights usually mean the Preset is "too loud." typical solution there is to reduce the Output Level parameter in the Amp block.

here are some videos regarding this topic:

Why are my Axe-Fx Clip Lights turning on? What is Clipping? | AxeFxTutorials.com

Back
Top Bottom