AX8 vs FX8 now which one to buy???

What I really need to know is if the "series/parallel" effect routing in this new unit is a free routed grid like in AxeFX or something more limited.

I really wish the "dumb it down crowd" would realize that no amount of $$$ in the world (well, just a figure of speech) is worth the hassle of DRM.

AX8 all the way-IMHO it has to be full blown and really feel that FAS knows that - lets not start cheapening the AXEFX please.

What's next - 3 amps-3 cabs-3 FX only $399-Just sayin - Makes no Business sense at all.

So I guess I need not worry because - it will be full blown.

Just an edit to say: If it were pay as go and had DRM I would rather sell my car and buy another XL

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-im-just-going-leave-here-26.html#post1160180

Read that post #505 and then Cliff's response directly following it.

That was the very last comment Cliff made on the whole topic of pricing models (stripped down version at lower price, then sell add-on amp models later).

It almost sounds as if this idea was brought up, debated vigorously, and then in this very post Cliff made his decision NOT to do that.

Of course, I could be full of shit :)

I sure hope you are correct :)

The simpler FX8 routing is the tip: The FX8 is for more traditional setups and players. More user friendly (how many comments on AxeFx's users not using 10% of it's resources, etc.? ).

I'm certain that fractal has maid some "customer clinic" to define this models.

If you want a compact floor setup with AxeFx approach and sensible resources, buy AX8.

If you use tube amps, most traditional effects chains, and just want a complete pedalboard with nice effects and 4CM routing: Get the FX8.

That is.

leaning very heavily toward the FX8
for 90% of my use i would only be using the FX. but man it would be nice to have some amp/cab models in there for recording or to get by in a pinch live.
but i get the reasons why they can't all exist in the same unit.
sure do wish the FX8 came with two loops. i have pedals that are must haves in my signal chain and try as i might i've not been able to replicate them to my satisfaction in the axefxii.
so it looks like i'll have to do an FX8 with an rjm minieffect gizmo

Pretty much all details of the FX8 have been posted:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/FX8-Onesheet.pdf

Minimal details on the AX8
It is not an Axe-Fx. It won't be able to do two amps or two cabs. It won't have things like the Vocoder and other esoteric blocks. It's a stripped down floor version at an aggressive price.
It will have G3 modeling and user IR slots. It has two dual-core DSPs, one for amp modeling the other for effects. These DSPs are slower than the ones in the Axe-Fx so it won't be able to do two instance of amps.
There will be block compatibility between the Axe-Fx and the AX-8 meaning you can copy blocks from your Axe-Fx presets into the AX-8.
It has USB, XLR outs for FOH, 1/4 outputs for local monitoring and an FX loop. Four expression pedal inputs. AC powered, no wall-wart.

Forgive me, I'm just hearing about this AX8 now, so maybe I'm behind the ball on this one....

Currently I own the original AxeFx Standard. I'm wondering how the AX8 will compare. When the time comes should I sell my AxeFx Std to fund one of these? I don't really use 2 amp/2 cab setups on the Std, so that is probably fine for me. I'm wondering:
- which esoteric blocks it won't have?
- Which blocks will it have?
- The one thing I wish the Std had that the Ultra had was that synth-like block that people were using to mimic (very convincingly) violin sounds.
- Will it have all of the Gen3 amp models? If not, which will be missing?
- What will the price of this be?

Thanks for any info!

Well, for me, Iam for the first time stuck as far as making a choice for a floor modeler. I had an Axe Fx 2 for along time but illness forced me to part with it. I have been using an HD500x and it works but I dont like it near as much as my Axe Right? Soo here we are, Line 6 has a Helix that for the most part, looks pretty good! But now we have the AX8 and its Fractal!!!! My thing is do I wait to see the price and for sure date of release? I read last night (still hoping for an October release) plus no price. Iam sure they have a set price by now and wish that Cliff would please at least start the war by giving us a price Hint! LOL If the price is right, I have no problem waiting for AX8 But! Helix with 2-4 amps at once as well as ir,s and all the other pretty cool stuff it has, I am really thinking about getting a Helix. The AX8 being a slimmed down version, and only one amp at once is a big deal for me as most of my tones I like blending 2 amps to get a killer sound or not but its a must have for me. Also Helix is coming in just a couple weeks and if the AX8 is 1500.00 or more then I really dont see me getting one? I miss my Fractal tone but having all the stuff like the Helix compared to a killer tone but slimmed down version for say price? I dont know? Sorry guys just thinking out loud here as Iam really stuck.

Bottom line is if the modeler tone does it for you then go for the AX8,...for me I will use a real amp and the stellar FX8 rig. Used with 2 gigs now and super stoked with it!

Why Not make one multi-effect floorboard that does everything the Axe-FX does!

This instead of making an FX-8 with no speaker- or amp simmulation and is only suitable trought a guitar amp......
Or the AX8 wich is only suitable for studio, direct signal in mixer or inear? Ax8 With speaker and amp simmulation but Not like the Axe-fx.
It seams that double-amps and two speakercabs simmultanious is Not possible On the AX8.....You can only simulate one amp and one speaker on the same time...

Sometimes i play with an amp and sometimes i don't....
I don't want to take an Axe-fx and a midi-board. I just want one floorboard that does the same as the axe-fx.

What is behind all this? Is this a sales trick?

Why wouldn't be it possible to make a floorboard that does the same as the AXE-FX... Space? Mayby make the board slightly bigger, or make what ever adjustments are needed to do so. I don't need it to do what the mfc101 does, i just want the sound-(possibilities) of axe-fx in one board!

Please make the board we need, want and are willing to pay for.

Tnx!
Kind regards Paul

Why Not make one multi-effect floorboard that does everything the Axe-FX does! Please make the board we need, want and are willing to pay for.

Tnx!
Kind regards Paul

The problem is that we all have different needs and wants. I think FAS is approaching this in just the right way with different products to fit different people's requirements and/or financial constraints. I always play with an amp. I wouldn't want to pay more for an AX-8, assuming it's more expensive. I have no use for any of the amp, cab or mic simulations. The FX8 is the perfect for me. I've waited an extremely long time for an effects only system of this quality and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
Why Not make one multi-effect floorboard that does everything the Axe-FX does!

This instead of making an FX-8 with no speaker- or amp simmulation and is only suitable trought a guitar amp......
Or the AX8 wich is only suitable for studio, direct signal in mixer or inear? Ax8 With speaker and amp simmulation but Not like the Axe-fx.
It seams that double-amps and two speakercabs simmultanious is Not possible On the AX8.....You can only simulate one amp and one speaker on the same time...

Sometimes i play with an amp and sometimes i don't....
I don't want to take an Axe-fx and a midi-board. I just want one floorboard that does the same as the axe-fx.

What is behind all this? Is this a sales trick?

Why wouldn't be it possible to make a floorboard that does the same as the AXE-FX... Space? Mayby make the board slightly bigger, or make what ever adjustments are needed to do so. I don't need it to do what the mfc101 does, i just want the sound-(possibilities) of axe-fx in one board!

Please make the board we need, want and are willing to pay for.

Tnx!
Kind regards Paul

The DSPs used in the Axe-Fx are far too costly and require exotic cooling that is not suitable for a floor application.

The AX-8 covers the needs of 99% of performing guitar players.

You could convince your chip manufacturers to release die-shrunk chips (ie: 45nm to 35nm), so they'll use less power, and possibly be able to be passively cooled?

What you gain in "portability" you lose in safety. Although I'd never want anything on my pedal board to get wet, or be in the direct sunlight, I REALLY wouldn't want a $2,500 device to be in harm's way. I think being safely in a rack, away from the crowd, is a much safer place, than the floor.

What you gain in "portability" you lose in safety. Although I'd never want anything on my pedal board to get wet, or be in the direct sunlight, I REALLY wouldn't want a $2,500 device to be in harm's way. I think being safely in a rack, away from the crowd, is a much safer place, than the floor.

Agreed, the FX8 already pushes the limit of what I'm willing to spend on something that is on the ground (in beer's way) getting trodden on. Racks make me feel much safer haha!

Good point there. It would be nice if the floor units were reasonably beer and vomit proof. I have taken to keeping mine to the left of me instead of right out in front. That doesn't mean I won't be the one to spill beer on it though.

Well it looks like people are getting invites for the AX8 but not for the FX8. Now I'm really scratching my head! Which to buy? I have a wall of beloved tube amps so the FX8 is the logical choice for me. However, showing up to a gig in 16" of snow with an AX8 in one hand and my guitar in the other makes a lot sense compared to multiple trips to the car followed by a backache. My questions are, can I turn off the amp modeling and run the AX8 into my amp for band practice? Are the effects in the AX8 assignable to an effects loop like the FX8?

I think they are. But it will be louder in 4CM than FX8. If you are serious, get them both. Backup/easy rig, tube rig, you can share most blocks to replicate your fx chains.

Back
Top Bottom