Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.01 Public Beta (1)

From memory, it would always have a gap when going from 1 to 2 no matter how many times. I'm on an XL unit if that makes any difference. I'll have to check that when I get home tonight.

I just double checked. At least on my Axe, no matter how many times I go from scene 1 to scene 2 & back, there is a gap from scene 1 to 2.

Yes, there's a gap when switching from scene 1 to 2 for the 1st time. No gap going from 2 to 1, and also not when going from 1 to 2 again.

if you're using just cab x (either mono or stereo) are you still getting a gap when switch from scene 1 to 2?

Axe-Fx II Firmware Release Notes

Added “Dephase” control to Cabinet block. This parameter controls a sophisticated process that removes the “phasiness” from IRs and can yield a more “in the room” experience. Note that the processing required is extreme and the control can have some lag and this will also add slightly to preset change time.

Is that something that could be applied to the IR itself as a one time thing instead of sucking extra processing all the time?

Doesn't it add lag when switching presets? The way I see it, it calculates a new temporay IR that is used. It does than on boot or on preset switch?

Doesn't it add lag when switching presets? The way I see it, it calculates a new temporay IR that is used. It does than on boot or on preset switch?
It looks like either way, this issue will be solved eventually for anyone with Cab-Lab. Once you set it, you can save it as a new IR and use that one. Then you won't have to worry about it.

Big discussion about De-Phase

But I like the “Character” controls-->Amp block--> “Dynamic” much more.Together with new Vibrato Verb CS Amp I can play closer to SRV without his 13 strings and his cracy high action

Thats really cool to me

Roland

I agree that the new Character control has far more impact (in a positive way) on shaping and dialing in your sound than the very subtle dephase control. I'm surprised there's so much discussion about dephase and so little about character control. I'd love to see people post some new character settings that sound great.

My biggest issue with IRs is the infinite universe of them. I got tired of auditioning the 1000 IRs that seem to come out with every new pack from someone. I actually would rather spend time playing. Less is more in my opinion, give me 5 to 10 IRs in one release with really different characteristics rather than 500 IRs with a million combinations of mics and placements. And it would be nice if they could be named with more description that actually describes the sound or what its optimized for (e.g. clean amps, mid gain, etc). My time is valuable and a handful of IRs respects that view. But to each his own. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Between the Fractal packs (ML too), OH, TAF, other paid ones, and all the many free ones (including those good ones by PerChr), we're pretty well set. I certainly don't have time to weed through all ones in my collection. I guess, what is really cool about it though, is that the technology is advancing very rapidly. Will we eventually reach a level where there is just a final, definitive, "perfect" way to have digital representation of real cabs (miked and live in the room)? Probably not. But, I would love to spend the many hours it will take to find a solid collection of IRs that I'm completely satisfied with out of the ones I already have and keep them in my user slots (non-XL user at the moment...).

Between the Fractal packs (ML too), OH, TAF, other paid ones, and all the many free ones (including those good ones by PerChr), we're pretty well set. I certainly don't have time to weed through all ones in my collection. I guess, what is really cool about it though, is that the technology is advancing very rapidly. Will we eventually reach a level where there is just a final, definitive, "perfect" way to have digital representation of real cabs (miked and live in the room)? Probably not. But, I would love to spend the many hours it will take to find a solid collection of IRs that I'm completely satisfied with out of the ones I already have and keep them in my user slots (non-XL user at the moment...).

I think we have a really accurate and therefore "perfect" digital representation format (IR) at the moment. Just like in real life there are many ways to mic a cab and each cab is different and each mic works differently in front of different speakers etc. This type of tone searching has always existed but guitarists may have no experience of it since it's the audio engineers who do this work for them at the studio and they're more used to playing with amps "in the room" which is something you can never share with an audience.

IMHO people should forget about "amp in the room sound" (and first of all call it "cab in the room" ;) ) and concentrate on a guitar tone that is not just for yourself but the audience... which is a mic'ed guitar signal going through the PA. Now that we have the ability to create real professional level guitar sounds even at home with the Axe-Fx it's an integral part for everyone to take the time to choose the correct IR for your tone. The role of IR producers is to be that studio audio engineer that hands you with options and makes your life easier so you don't have to spend years in the studio learning techniques and methods for capturing your cabinet correctly.

Simply put: This is not a disadvantage of the Axe-Fx. It's a huge leap forward in guitar tone evolution. More control! I suggest people archive their IRs in a clear way and use Cab-Lab 3 as the IR loader when creating patches and only load those IRs to the Axe-Fx that you use with your presets. This way you don't need 3000 IR slots. :) I never even knew people loaded all IRs into their Axe-Fxs before I became an IR producer and received feedback on it.

No offense by this comment - but I'd expect an IR producer to say 'forget amp in the room'. For a lot of us, guitar is for personal enjoyment and we care more about the tone/feel WE hear vs. the tone that the audience hears (90% of which aren't paying attention to tone that closely anyway, or the intricacies of the tone is lost in the mix). For those that care more about the audience's interpretation of their tone than the tone they hear themselves (professional musicians probably) they might not feel the same way.

With that said I use FRFR and IR's and, you're right, this is an awesome time to be a guitarist as we have so many options and so much control. I'm glad we have so many options at our disposal!

Personally, I wish I had 1 open back cab and 1 closed back cab for monitoring myself, and 1 FRFR monitor that I can use at home to set up patches for when I send my signal direct to FOH. But I don't have that because $$$. It's been so long since I've heard 'amp in the room' that I hardly remember what I'm missing, lol.

No offense by this comment - but I'd expect an IR producer to say 'forget amp in the room'. For a lot of us, guitar is for personal enjoyment and we care more about the tone/feel WE hear vs. the tone that the audience hears (90% of which aren't paying attention to tone that closely anyway, or the intricacies of the tone is lost in the mix). For those that care more about the audience's interpretation of their tone than the tone they hear themselves (professional musicians probably) they might not feel the same way.

With that said I use FRFR and IR's and, you're right, this is an awesome time to be a guitarist as we have so many options and so much control. I'm glad we have so many options at our disposal!

Personally, I wish I had 1 open back cab and 1 closed back cab for monitoring myself, and 1 FRFR monitor that I can use at home to set up patches for when I send my signal direct to FOH. But I don't have that because $$$. It's been so long since I've heard 'amp in the room' that I hardly remember what I'm missing, lol.

Sure but that's why I said "in my humble opinion" in front. Don't get me wrong... for my personal enjoyment I still enoy a real cabinet driven with a good tube power amp but if I'm creating tones that will be heard by other people than me I steer away. I do appreciate that people care what my opinion is but in the end I am just one human being with an opinion of my own just like everyone else. Just like any single person in here whose opinion is appreciated greatly. I can admit that I usually approach everything from a modern gigging/recording guitarist point of view so I don't expect everyone to always agree with me and that is fine since there are all opinions and everyone's got one. That's just natural. :)

Another problem with "amp/cab in room" is the "room" part of it which normally changes every now and then if you move your setup and whether a room is treated or not has a huge effect. Also if you're used to a sound in a badly treated room your ears might be used to something that might sound bad for other people. :)

This type of tone searching has always existed but guitarists may have no experience of it since it's the audio engineers who do this work for them at the studio and they're more used to playing with amps "in the room" which is something you can never share with an audience. IMHO people should forget about "amp in the room sound" (and first of all call it "cab in the room" ;) ) and concentrate on a guitar tone that is not just for yourself but the audience... which is a mic'ed guitar signal going through the PA.

Isn't playing a small club where you don't have to mic up your amp 'amp in the room' for the audience?

For all of us who have spent years and years practicing next to an amp, that's 'amp in the room' too.

I personally like that sound, so 'Amp in the room' is completely relevant to me.

Back
Top Bottom