Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.01 Public Beta (1)

Okay here's my analysis and opinion on the de-phase parameter:

dephase.png

As the image suggests the green line is an alloy IR without de-phase. The red line is the same IR with de-phase at 5. The blue line is the same IR with de-phase on 10.

So essentially it evens out your IR. If you have a bad IR you can make it more usable by using de-phase. On the other hand if you have a good IR then I personally wouldn't advice you to use de-phase as it also removes the character of your IR. So at 10 it's almost like a Palmer PDI.

From an IR procuder point of view you will not see me using this feature. Don't get me wrong. It's a really useful tool and it can make many IRs sound better. The reason I wouldn't use it is that I spend a lot of time making sure that I have the best resolution for my IRs. When we start talking about evening out the IR graphs then it's similar to lowering the resolution of the IR.

I think this is a great future and many people will find it useful. I would assume in a live situation it's a miracle worker especially with FRFR setups. It "should" result in less ear fatigue. :)

I think while a great feature sometimes, it doesn't need to be used on every patch. I love ranch dressing and think it makes lots of foods taste better, but I'm not going to put it on every single thing I eat, know what I mean ?

I sometimes like some "phasiness" with certain IR's. I think it contributes a good part to the overall tone, and I often used to mic real cabs with two mics and adjust their positions to actually get some phasing effect. I think it sounds good on some harder rock tones.

Again though, its cool we have another tonal shaping tool which certainly can help with some IR's. I think its best to use on a patch by patch basis though. If it sounds good as is, leave it off, if it sounds better with it on, then use it. But I wouldn't go and constrain myself to saying I'm going to use it at X value for every single patch

The higher the setting the more "character" you remove. De-Phase removes some of the character but that's precisely what you want to do as a cab has less character in the far field.
This.

It's not a reduction in resolution. IR resolution (in terms of number of samples) is better reflected in the low end, which remains essentially identical at any setting of Dephase, as you can see in your plot. What's removed is the phasing you get when you close-mic. While this is what we've always lived with in recorded or FOH-reinforced guitar tones, it's an artifact—and it's not ideal.

When I listen with my ears instead of with my eyes, positive values of Dephase always sound better.

Wow.. well, Vibratoverb just became my new favorite amp in this box without a doubt. so perfect for what i do, i cant even..

I don't know anything about anything, but for me the de-phase seems to act as a "rattiness" control. The higher up, the more "ratty" the sound is. So far, I've found it very pleasant at lower levels (for one patch, I have it on 1 for one amp/cab combo and 0.6 for another). Very cool.
-
Austin

Last edited:

dephase.png

As the image suggests the green line is an alloy IR without de-phase. The red line is the same IR with de-phase at 5. The blue line is the same IR with de-phase on 10.

So essentially it evens out your IR. If you have a bad IR you can make it more usable by using de-phase. On the other hand if you have a good IR then I personally wouldn't advice you to use de-phase as it also removes the character of your IR. So at 10 it's almost like a Palmer PDI.

From an IR procuder point of view you will not see me using this feature. Don't get me wrong. It's a really useful tool and it can make many IRs sound better. The reason I wouldn't use it is that I spend a lot of time making sure that I have the best resolution for my IRs. When we start talking about evening out the IR graphs then it's similar to lowering the resolution of the IR.

I think this is a great future and many people will find it useful. I would assume in a live situation it's a miracle worker especially with FRFR setups. It "should" result in less ear fatigue. :)

I agree with this 100% there's no magic number, use your ears

I really like the factory cab 29 (JM FF) with De-phase on 10. It sounds good with the '59 Bassman.

dephase.png

What software are you using for IR analysis? I like the IR plot that you're showing here. It would be useful to determine IR resonance. Thanks!

Beta1 is now available and fixes this bug. See the OP for the link.

Updated last night and had a chance to play with it this morning. If you have any dephase on and move to another cab it resets my AxeFx. Updated to .01 this morning and same thing. Better now but if you scroll thru a few cabs quickly it does same thing. I can scroll one cab forward/backward and it seems ok but more then one system turns off and resets. Also now when I select scratch pad it also just resets it. Did it roughly 20 times before in a row. For some reason I can scroll pretty fast thru the stock IR's but anything in my user cabs resets it consistently. Also if you happen to scroll past an empty cab slot it resets. Set it to an empty one and try to adjust to dephase and it resets it as well. I am on an Axe FX II Mark II btw.

Back
Top Bottom