FX8's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness

Here in this forum you can't complain or see anything wrong with FAS product because the fan boys come with their guns shooting everything.
That's real....

but then each type would have different controls on different pages, it wouldn't be consistent. that'd probably another wish list thread "make all types put the parameters on the same pages."

How about making a page just for original controls? It doesn't even have to be the main page.

Edit: it helps if I read pages 2 and 3. Disregard this post.

Last edited:
Good to know - thanks - what pedals have you replaced with the FX8?

Here is my pre-FX-8 board: TC Electronic Ploytune, CAE Wah, Keeley Compressor, Fuzz Face, Ibanez TS808, Vox Satchurator, Boss Super Shifter PS-5, Hardwire TR-7 Tremolo, MXR Micro Flanger, MXR EVH Phaser 90, Visual Sound Liquid Chorus, MXR Carbon Copy, TC Electronic Flashback Delay, Whirlwind boost.

Before, I've always relied solely on my amps for reverb - now I'm employing some of the FX-8 models.

Here in this forum you can't complain or see anything wrong with FAS product because the fan boys come with their guns shooting everything.
That's real....

Here in this forum you can't disagree with any wishes or changes because you'll be accused of being a fan boy. That's real.

I actually think it's a good idea to have the original control of pedals or amps (Axe-FX) clearly marked. Instead of changing pages, why not have them highlighted in the editor?

As an example, a Tube Screamer has 3 knobs. It's as basic as they come. The overdrive pedal on the FX8 upon which this modeled has 17 different adjustable parameters in the edit menu! I think one of the top things on my wish list would be for Fractal to highlight those options in the edit menu which are most crucial for basic control (as if you had the actual pedal in front of you) and leave the other 80% meant for uber-fine adjustments to those who actually know how to use them...like professional musicians, recording engineers and people a lot smarter than me. :lol

I totally get what you're saying and I definitely agree with you. Having said that, by pointing out the Tube Screamer you actually highlighted the value of those 17 other parameters. As much as everyone loves the TS, I would bet that the #1 complaint is the loss of low end which you can recover with the "advanced" parameters. Think about the sheer number of TS/clones/modded pedals that have been churned over the years on The Gear Page because everyone was looking for that magical TS that didn't suck the low end.

One thing that would be *really* useful if there were a way to have some help that connected the dots with regards to interaction of parameters. This would be pretty awkward to implement on the FX8 (or Axe-FX) directly due to the limited screen. But if the editor(s) were to convey the wisdom that Cliff, the Wiki, Chris's Tutorial site, and the forum provide it would make for a much easier experience. Imagine if you select a knob in the editor and some tips appeared that said "Turn this knob will do blah and is highly impacted by this other knob". Also, a series of "how to" type things structured in the editor would be very useful. Cliff and others have posted so many useful things over the years but that information can totally get lost or is difficult to discover because you don't know the magic words to search for and often times by the time you get an answer that solves your problem on a forum you have totally lost the moment.

While we're at it, a series of "how not to do" tips would be useful - like "Q: What can make my Vibe or phaser sound harsh and brittle?" "A: Placing a Vibe or phaser after distortion will usually cause this."

Having this sort of thing integrated into the editor and available offline would be great.

One thing that would be *really* useful if there were a way to have some help that connected the dots with regards to interaction of parameters. This would be pretty awkward to implement on the FX8 (or Axe-FX) directly due to the limited screen. But if the editor(s) were to convey the wisdom that Cliff, the Wiki, Chris's Tutorial site, and the forum provide it would make for a much easier experience. Imagine if you select a knob in the editor and some tips appeared that said "Turn this knob will do blah and is highly impacted by this other knob". Also, a series of "how to" type things structured in the editor would be very useful. Cliff and others have posted so many useful things over the years but that information can totally get lost or is difficult to discover because you don't know the magic words to search for and often times by the time you get an answer that solves your problem on a forum you have totally lost the moment.

Ditto!

The issue is that the blocks were ported from the axe. Users of that are by and large tech savvy.

I have, as a part of the beta team, written extensively about what would be best on page 1 for users who are replacing a pedal board.

It would make it no longer possible to import settings from other fractal products.

I think another possible solution would be a way to have a number of presets for each block available besides just effects type.

It's easy to have a number of presets available from the GUI for each affect but it's not as elegant from the unit.

For instance I have a number of presets that are built to sound like various delays I own. If I'm building a new preset from the GUI it's no problem to access these. But there is no way to have those available on the unit. I suppose you could copy a block from one preset to another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only control that needs to be added is self-restraint. :)

Seriously, take a Drive block. You want more or less gain? Adjust the Drive control. You want it brighter? Adjust Tone. You want it louder? Adjust Level.
That covers the majority of the drive pedals out there.

Those controls are already present on the first page of the Drive block. And they operate just like on the original pedal (in G3 models).
Just ignore that Mix (and Balance on the Axe-Fx) also exist on that page, and you're there.

Also, creating a visual copy of the original pedal would only help those who own or have used that particular pedal.

That's how I've approached it. And I've found some of the deeper parameters to be quite useful in shaping the tone or taking off some edge or grit. But I can understand where some might like an easy way to identify the controls from the original. Perhaps shading or highlighting those parameters could be done.

Sequencer:
Rate: 11.08, 16 stages.
Sequences: 100 - 25 - 82 - 25 - 92 - 25 - 82 - 25 - 100 - 25 - 82 - 25 - 92 - 25 - 82 - 25 (rest: 0).
Attach Run to Envelope.

Envelope:
-100, 1.00, 1.00, 1.00.

Thanks Yek and Fremen! However, when I link the volume knob to the sequencer, I get the following: Min, Max, Start, Mid, End, Slope, Scale, Offset, Damping, Off Value.

I don't have Rate, Stages, or the ability to type the Sequences for each of the 16 Stages.

Any Advice on how to correct for this?

Thanks!

Thanks Yek and Fremen! However, when I link the volume knob to the sequencer, I get the following: Min, Max, Start, Mid, End, Slope, Scale, Offset, Damping, Off Value.

I don't have Rate, Stages, or the ability to type the Sequences for each of the 16 Stages.

Any Advice on how to correct for this?

Thanks!

Sequencer & envelope parameters are in Setup: Controllers menu.

What would be great for someone like me is a tutorial/explanation how all the different knobs/parameters affect the tone. I've been trying to dial in the tremolo effect for Boulevard of Broken Dreams (easy on the POD) but I can't seem to get it right on Fx8 as I'm guessing how the parameters interact with each other.

Also, I've tried to play with the pitchshifter block to get the Adrenaline III sound that John Mayer uses on Bigger Than My Body. I've been reading how people were able to get it on the Axe Fx by using multiple effects since the pitchshifter isn't polyphonic.

Are there any books out there that explain how effects and their parameters work?

Thanks!
Where you ever able to re-create "Bigger than my body" Adrenaline III sound?

Back
Top Bottom