Iron Maiden Wasted Years Solo

Really great tone, keeping in mind it's a thick, all-mahogany Les Paul, not maiden-ish stratocaster! Great skill also, as usual :)

Just one thing...

Looks like you're playing this solo a bit wrong way in two moments. It's pretty common case, I've also tried to learn it same wrong way from various tabs. Same mistake appears in the Lick Library series presented by Danny Gill. But if you listen very carefully to the original recording (or better - Adrian's mastertrack), you can hear the difference in first and third repetitive lick. Those pull-offs on the B string at the beginning are actually played by Adrian on two strings - B and high E :) Third repetitive lick is based on exactly same structure, just higher on the neck.

Check out this tutorial, this is the most accurate way to play this solo (concentrate on Figures 2 and 5):

Of course it doesn't change the fact, that your preformance sounds great and most of the people doesn't give a damn about those nuances ;) But trust me, when you are aware of them and play those licks properly, the difference is clearly audible :) Give it a try :)

Kavoo I dont think Mark ever claims hes playing the exact way it was originally recorded he plays its close though and pleasing to the ear. Actually sometimes he actually states that its not exact and just learns it by ear. Keep em coming Mark!

Really great tone, keeping in mind it's a thick, all-mahogany Les Paul, not maiden-ish stratocaster! Great skill also, as usual :)

Just one thing...

Looks like you're playing this solo a bit wrong way in two moments. It's pretty common case, I've also tried to learn it same wrong way from various tabs. Same mistake appears in the Lick Library series presented by Danny Gill. But if you listen very carefully to the original recording (or better - Adrian's mastertrack), you can hear the difference in first and third repetitive lick. Those pull-offs on the B string at the beginning are actually played by Adrian on two strings - B and high E :) Third repetitive lick is based on exactly same structure, just higher on the neck.

Check out this tutorial, this is the most accurate way to play this solo (concentrate on Figures 2 and 5):

Of course it doesn't change the fact, that your preformance sounds great and most of the people doesn't give a damn about those nuances ;) But trust me, when you are aware of them and play those licks properly, the difference is clearly audible :) Give it a try :)

Heres the thing. I appreciate that you can play it with the exact notes, kudos. I think I have close to 200 videos posted, if you can find just one that is right(correctly played)then you would have yourself a bonafide miracle. No worries though, no need to call the Vatican, because it just won't happen. I've never been that guy. Again, good for you for being able to pick out exact notes and phrases. With the amount of loud live playing I've done in my 54 years on this planet it's a wonder I can hear anything at all. All of this is said with a big smile on my face :)

Mark

Last edited:
Heres the thing. I appreciate that you can play it with the exact notes, kudos. I think I have close to 200 videos posted, if you can find just one that is right(correctly played)then you would have yourself a bonafide miracle. No worries though, no need to call the Vatican, because it just won't happen. I've never been that guy. Again, good for you for being able to pick out exact notes and phrases. With the amount of loud live playing I've done in my 54 years on this planet it's a wonder I can hear anything at all.

Mark
Mark, take a bubble bath and have a glass of wine.
You look great for 54 BTW.

That was written with a huge smile on my face. I do not take my playing seriously at all trust me lol.

the only time someone plays a solo "wrong" is when it's obvious they don't understand music, musicality, theory, etc. if they do understand that stuff, at least a little bit, then they are making choices, not mistakes.

if you are a good musician yourself, it should be clear when watching/listening to someone that they know those things. so, make sure you're a good enough musician first to be able judge others correctly. :)

That was written with a huge smile on my face. I do not take my playing seriously at all trust me lol.

It's quite obvious you can only hit 100% of the notes exactly if your wearing the appropriate T-Shirt. Geeeeeez! Get it together dude! :shock

Just one thing...

Kayne West everyone....

*golf clap*

Back
Top Bottom