A Few Questions

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hey guys,

I need a bit of help, I managed to get hold of an FX-8 off of ebay over here in the UK. It turned up yesterday and I've been playing about with it. So far I'm impressed with how it functions and the quality of the effects. I'm running the 4CM into my boogie rectoverb 25.

Just a couple of questions and these are probably obvious to you guys. On FX8 edit I insert a relay block to change channels on my amp I can obviously change the state of this by clicking it on or off. I've noticed over to the right there is another section there which shows relay 1 and relay 2 and from a drop down list you can change to tip, ring or both. I can I just ask what that is for? I'm guessing they are supposed to change the amp channels but then what's the point of the relay block?

And also I'm interested to see how you are all setting up your config section. I've tried a 3/5 split so basically comp, drive, phase thru the front end and then, gate, chorus, pitch, rev, delay. rev and delay I've set that to be parallel. I'm guessing that's right to have the gate first in the fx loop chain? I also have a filter block set to null for boost's on some presets. Does different scenes have to be the same effects or can we change that?

Thanks in advance guys this is a new experience for me but so far I'm liking it.

Cheers

Paul

You can use a Relay block in your preset, or you can assign a relay value to a scene so that you are changing your amps settings when you change scenes. The two options to the right in FX8 Edit are used to set the relay values for the scene. No need to use a Relay Block if you do it by the scene.

I'm generally using a 3/5 pre/post split as well in a few presets, and am also setting reverb and delay in parallel. Yes, if I use a gate block, I have it first in the loop since there is a noise gate already built into each preset that is located directly after the instrument input in the signal chain. So, if the patch noise gate does what you need, there is no need to insert a noise gate Block unless you specifically want one in the loop or at some other position in the signal chain.

I also use a Filter Block set to null with a 3db increase as a boost.

Each scene has the same effects. The Scene is used to change the on/off and X/Y settings of the blocks. If you need a different effects chain, you'll have to set up a different preset.

Hope that helps.

You can use a Relay block in your preset, or you can assign a relay value to a scene so that you are changing your amps settings when you change scenes. The two options to the right in FX8 Edit are used to set the relay values for the scene. No need to use a Relay Block if you do it by the scene.

I'm generally using a 3/5 pre/post split as well in a few presets, and am also setting reverb and delay in parallel. Yes, if I use a gate block, I have it first in the loop since there is a noise gate already built into each preset that is located directly after the instrument input in the signal chain. So, if the patch noise gate does what you need, there is no need to insert a noise gate Block unless you specifically want one in the loop or at some other position in the signal chain.

I also use a Filter Block set to null with a 3db increase as a boost.

Each scene has the same effects. The Scene is used to change the on/off and X/Y settings of the blocks. If you need a different effects chain, you'll have to set up a different preset.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply that's very helpful. So let me get this right, if I set up a preset/pedalboard without a relay block and say that's my clean sound and then want to change scene to my amps dirty channel with some effects like delay and reverb and a boost would the relay status change if I set it or do i need to have a relay block inserted? I hope that makes sense lol

I'm still getting noise without the noise gate added to the chain but i find moving it to the front of my amps fx loop makes it quieter same with the boost as well moving it after the noise gate makes it quieter as well.Makes sense really as that's what i did with my NS-2. The noise gate that is there already in each preset I find doesn't have an affect for some reason.

You only need a relay block if you want to switch amp channels like any other block (with the footswitch dedicated to that block).

If you use scenes, you don't need to dedicate a relay block. Still able to set relay state (tip, ring or sleeve) per scene, with no relay block in the chain of 8.

Thanks for the quick reply that's very helpful. So let me get this right, if I set up a preset/pedalboard without a relay block and say that's my clean sound and then want to change scene to my amps dirty channel with some effects like delay and reverb and a boost would the relay status change if I set it or do i need to have a relay block inserted? I hope that makes sense lol

If you set the value for each scene you do not need a relay block inserted as one of the eight effects in the chain.

I'm still getting noise without the noise gate added to the chain but i find moving it to the front of my amps fx loop makes it quieter same with the boost as well moving it after the noise gate makes it quieter as well.Makes sense really as that's what i did with my NS-2. The noise gate that is there already in each preset I find doesn't have an affect for some reason.

Probably depends on the amp. With my Budda Superdrive 30, the gate in the front of the signal chain works great. With my RedPlate, I found that putting a gate block in the chain as the fist thing in the loop worked better for that amp.

I always put my boost as the last block in the chain with the AxeFX II and now with the FX8.

I wonder if it would it be possible for Fractal to add a parameter to select whether the Noise Gate that is already part of a preset is just after the input or the first thing in the loop? If so, that would eliminate the need to use a Noise Gate as one of the eight blocks for those of us that would like the gate in the loop.

If you set the value for each scene you do not need a relay block inserted as one of the eight effects in the chain.

Probably depends on the amp. With my Budda Superdrive 30, the gate in the front of the signal chain works great. With my RedPlate, I found that putting a gate block in the chain as the fist thing in the loop worked better for that amp.

I always put my boost as the last block in the chain with the AxeFX II and now with the FX8.

I wonder if it would it be possible for Fractal to add a parameter to select whether the Noise Gate that is already part of a preset is just after the input or the first thing in the loop? If so, that would eliminate the need to use a Noise Gate as one of the eight blocks for those of us that would like the gate in the loop.

That would make sense as that's how my NS-2 and decimator G string was set up first in the chain at the front and first in the chain at the back. I'm sure they could if we ask them nicely lol

Hey guys,

I think I'm going insane here. I can't seem to get the post effects working thru my effects loop. It was working the other day. Here's what I wanna do. First 3 effects thru the for go the amp, Comp, Drive and Phaser. Then the rest thru the fx loop, Trem, Chorus, Delay, Reverb and filter set to boost.

I have the config set to 3 pre 5 Post. The from end effects work but when I step on the desired foot-switch to engage the fx loop effect or effects there's no sound. I'v obviously got something turn down or not set.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Paul

Hey guys,

I think I'm going insane here. I can't seem to get the post effects working thru my effects loop. It was working the other day. Here's what I wanna do. First 3 effects thru the for go the amp, Comp, Drive and Phaser. Then the rest thru the fx loop, Trem, Chorus, Delay, Reverb and filter set to boost.

I have the config set to 3 pre 5 Post. The from end effects work but when I step on the desired foot-switch to engage the fx loop effect or effects there's no sound. I'v obviously got something turn down or not set.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Paul

Check the Bypass State of all of your effects, they should be set to Through. If any of your series effects are set to mute in or out, bypassing that effect will mute the audio.

Check the Bypass State of all of your effects, they should be set to Through. If any of your series effects are set to mute in or out, bypassing that effect will mute the audio.

Thanks Joe, I just had the config set slighty wrong. Just a couple of other things while I'm here. I'm guessing the config cant's be changed scene by scene? And also if I'm connected via axe edit and I try an alter a setting the FX8 the screens jump about and i end up editing the effect block next to it. I must be touching something I shouldn't be.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe, I just had the config set slighty wrong. Just a couple of other thing s while I'm here. I'm guessing the config cant's be changed scene by scene? And also any tips for getting the delays a tad bit wetter? It doesn't sound too bad now but I like a wet delay with my amp's dirty channel.

The only parameters on the CFG screen that can be modified scene to scene are the RELAYs and the MIDI outputs.

As for making your delay wetter, try playing with mix and output levels.

The only parameters on the CFG screen that can be modified scene to scene are the RELAYs and the MIDI outputs.

As for making your delay wetter, try playing with mix and output levels.

Thanks Joe, I've managed to figure it out. I gotta say on first impression's I was a little annoyed that I was'nt getting the sounds I wanted but after spending some time with the FX8 it's sounding pretty damn good. The drive sounds are just to die for. And really loud I had to dial back the vol when first engaged. On my main board I have the TS08 and then on my y setting the bb pre and then on another scene I have the full od and I'm still deciding on the y setting on that one. Can't wait to go out and rehearse and gig with this.

I can see why the guys in Metallica now use the AXEFX it just sounds killer. Does anyone know what drive sounds they use? Just out of interest.

Hey guys,

Just something i noticed tonight while dialling in some new presets. The last time I played my FX8 I had a filter block set to 4db for a solo boost on a certain preset. When I switched on my FX8 tonight the level of the boost had change to -12db. I know I definitely saved my settings last time. This has only happened once and seems fine now when I turn off my FX8 and re start FX8 Edit. What do you all think?

Hey guys,

Just something i noticed tonight while dialling in some new presets. The last time I played my FX8 I had a filter block set to 4db for a solo boost on a certain preset. When I switched on my FX8 tonight the level of the boost had change to -12db. I know I definitely saved my settings last time. This has only happened once and seems fine now when I turn off my FX8 and re start FX8 Edit. What do you all think?

Sounds like there is a short in the R1 resistor.

More questions sorry guys. Would there be any reason when changing scenes in a preset would have a slight delay when hitting the foot switches?

Discconect FX8-Edit, does this solve it?

That was my first thought as well. It doesn't make a difference. I've set delays and anything going in my FX Loop to "Mute effect in" and that doesn't seem to work either. I thought it might be something I haven't switched on. I'm basically changing on one preset I have 3 scenes. Amps dirty channel, comp front end and then in the fx loop I have a delay, multi delay and I've boosted the scene 4db as its a solo setting. Scene 2 is just straight up amp dirty channel with no effects and scene 3 is my amps dirty channel with an octave divide and some reverb both in the FX Loop with the scene boosted to 4db. Its just a slight delay when changing scenes.

Does the FX8 need restarting after the edit software has been disconnected do you think? It must be something I'm not doing right.

Check your CPU utilization. You may need to make some adjustments to your effects. There is a section in the manual that discusses this topic. Some of the other users may chime in here, and give you a hand as well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hi Joe. I've checked my cpu it's not more than 81% on some presets. Others are like 40% and 60%. Is there a certain percentage I should look out for? before this happens It's not just scenes though I've noticed on stomp box mode when just going through certain effects I get the same delay. Cpu again do you reckon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Joe. I've checked my cpu it's not more than 81% on some presets. Others are like 40% and 60%. Is there a certain percentage I should look out for? before this happens It's not just scenes though I've noticed on stomp box mode when just going through certain effects I get the same delay. Cpu again do you reckon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the footswitches activate on the release of the switch, not when it is depressed. I suspect this is the delay you are experiencing. There is discussion on the forum to this regard. I am currently working on a public beta that will give you the option change this behavior. Other cool features are being added as well. I think you will be pleased.

Back
Top Bottom