small around the house tube amp

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Seems like I am asking for advice every day here-But since I get such good advice why wouldn't I.

My beloved small 1X12 combo amp has dies. I need something for just around the house and maybe runnibg to corner lounge to jam- all types of music.

I was thinking about a fender blues jr III. The only thing it's missing for me is a line out, but I could just get a little lodbox or something if I wanted.

what you guys think?

I like the idea of that low volume crunchy blues sound-really need a mesa Boogie but-jeezzz on the $$$. I can get the blues jr at Sweetwater no interest for 36 months (I have the platinum card, so like $12 amonth

Of course, what I really want is Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 Plus 25-Watt 1x12" Combo :)

Thanks
Frank

Last edited:
I have my axe in a big rack, but if I was going to need it for multiple reasons It would be worth putting in a 2 space rack.

Tech 21 Trademark 30 or 60. A great tube sounding amp, nice features,...without the tubes.

@MArk and Morgan-

Hey Guys-

I do have my Axe in a 2 space rack-actually I have an extra one (2 space rack I mean) that I need to sell.-anyway, I don't know, I had the K10's, didn't really like them mainly because there were 2 and I am talking small jams, so I just figured a small combo

would be cool.

This is the first time in my long musical life I do not have an amp (my 122RD50 Musicman died a horrible death) I do have a little roland micro for watching football games :), but not to go and jam with folks.

Still take my hand breaks , but I am getting very used to it now.

I really thought about the Blues jr because of the deal with Sweetwater I mentioned $12 a month, no interest. I don't know, I guess I am going overboard since mentally getting past my arthritis crap which most are probably familiar with my infamous boring

thread of 4 weeks ago.

Anyway, I would want small. Believe it or not-since my Ultra in Apr 2009, thru all my Axe upgrades to XL+ I have now I have never, ever heard it sound like an amp-meaning I alays have just recorded and used my Mackie HR624 MKII's or my BeyerD 770 pro headphones.

How sad is that. would love to hear it sound like the boogie I have always dreamed of owning. I mean in the room, in my daw it does.

To further bore everyone:

suppose I said I want to have my axe sound like the video demos ( I mean in my room now) of the Mesa Boogie express plus on youtube-The official one by the mesa guy, Mark I think. Playing a Strat.

what would you tell me to buy?
Thanks

Well, if you're looking for great tone in a small portable amp, if you can accept 10 solid-state watt volume levels, I'd say the Tech 21 Trademark 10. The Trademark 30 above I believe is the same amp in a 30 watt version, but the 60 is a completely different amp and I didn't bond with it at all. The Trademark 10 gave me a wide range of tube-like tones at a level appropriate for low level jamming in a small room with a couple friends on bass and keyboards, no drummer to compete with. Check it or the 30 out. Oh, the 10 is not footswitchable between clean and dirty sounds, but it has a wonderful range of both.

Well, if you're looking for great tone in a small portable amp, if you can accept 10 solid-state watt volume levels, I'd say the Tech 21 Trademark 10. The Trademark 30 above I believe is the same amp in a 30 watt version, but the 60 is a completely different amp and I didn't bond with it at all. The Trademark 10 gave me a wide range of tube-like tones at a level appropriate for low level jamming in a small room with a couple friends on bass and keyboards, no drummer to compete with. Check it or the 30 out. Oh, the 10 is not footswitchable between clean and dirty sounds, but it has a wonderful range of both.

Sorry, my fault-my post above about mesa bedroom etc is not the same as my small combo question.

The small combo is for small club, wedding hall, etc jamming with friends bands.

Sorry for the confusion. Thank you much for responding

Me, myself, I'd want to explore the possibilities of using the axe with an FRFR. I don't know if they make anything small enough for you though. That way you could utilize the axe more. One of the things I love most about it is that I have all I need in one box - although I don't gig, and I know that's a different beast all together. I'm just thinking that whatever you buy amp-wise, you're bound to find a limitation or a need for something to add-on, so you're adding pedals and such to get the sounds you want - which was sort of why you ended up with an Axe, no? :)

But... all that said, I've read some of your prior posts and if I'd take my joy wherever I could get it. If you can swing a small tube amp going through Sweetwater, why not? The mesa might be a bit harder to justify! (but it sure does sound nice).

Check out the Fender G-DEC 30. I was lucky to get one new for $150. They've since doubled in price because of
their popularity and their features, which include an SD card slot and 100 different amp models.

OK-so you guys are right-as usual. That's why I get so carried away with my questions.........

Anyway-I could go jam anywhere and just use the 5F1 tweed and not even need a foot pedal (just an example but a good one) Just with the volune control I get so much variety.

So I guess I will look for a mid priced powered speaker for my little combo. Too bad sweetwater doesn't have a wide variety in the 36 month deal. QSC is there but I did not like the hi end sound-Just too harsh for my Taste., especially at low ish volumes.

They have these new turbosound ones but I have never heard of them. I love ev speakers so maybe I just need to buy one and only one.

Thanks as always- When it comes to decision making I am the worst-either I just react (usually badly) or I take forever to make up my mind

Me, myself, I'd want to explore the possibilities of using the axe with an FRFR. I don't know if they make anything small enough for you though. That way you could utilize the axe more. One of the things I love most about it is that I have all I need in one box - although I don't gig, and I know that's a different beast all together. I'm just thinking that whatever you buy amp-wise, you're bound to find a limitation or a need for something to add-on, so you're adding pedals and such to get the sounds you want - which was sort of why you ended up with an Axe, no? :)

But... all that said, I've read some of your prior posts and if I'd take my joy wherever I could get it. If you can swing a small tube amp going through Sweetwater, why not? The mesa might be a bit harder to justify! (but it sure does sound nice).

Hey Frank, I tried something that has worked surprisingly well, and was cheap to boot. The Marshall Haze 40 amp is a real tube amp, has some FX on it, two channels, a lead boost, footswitch controllable, and can be had for $350 used on eBay almost any time. Sounds surprisingly good for clean or mid gain to classic rock tones, gets plenty loud for local jams, and fits on the front seat of a compact car. It is a little bigger than my Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb (10 vs 12 speaker), and is a bit cheaper than the Mesa.

Otherwise, if you happen to be gigging where a PA is available, the Tech 21 Flyrig 5 sounds killer direct into a console to FOH/monitors. Maybe one of those can fit your needs.

Back
Top Bottom