Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.00 Released

Nah, it's just that I edited stock presets thinking "I'll reset them to default with the new FW, since I'm a beginner", but I FW up then uploaded the stock banks, I should have done the inverse ^^
Wondered if I removed the FW impact on the re-uploaded presets

Sorry to ask, but I want to know it, since I have awesome sounds with 19.03b and some gigs in the next weeks:
Is there another change in the core modeling from 19.03b to 19.00r and should I notice a different sound?

Sorry to ask, but I want to know it, since I have awesome sounds with 19.03b and some gigs in the next weeks:
Is there another change in the core modeling from 19.03b to 19.00r and should I notice a different sound?

You'll be fine. No big changes between the beta 3 and the release version.

Is it just me or do the G3'd Fuzz drive models sound much more authentic and realistically hairy now? Holy Gawd AM Radio!

Really enjoying them Cliff and team, especially fuzz face - I really wanted to get back into Jimi, but just didn't know , Lol. Thanks a million!

PS, played for like 4 hours. ALL the G3'd models sound better than the non-G3'd ones. There was some SERIOUS G3'ing that went on there. Uhm, what witchcraft exactly is G3'ing a drive model?? It sounds bloody accurate.

Last edited:
With all the raves.. it must be something on my end. I was on 18.04 and loved the tones. I updated to 19 over the weekend and suddenly everything sounded extremely thin and harsh. A serious mega step backward. I went through the amps and cabs, etc. and everything looked ok. Tweaking the blocks didn't help it. Anyone else have this happen and if so what was the cure?
I had to go back to 18.04 just to get my daily tone fix.
Thanks

Holy crap! Finally go around to installing 19. Never really been into the drive pedals, but I thought I would give them a whirl what with all the good press here. I was already on the vintage recto patch, so I just dialled down the gain and mv a bit and threw the tube screamer in front and maxed it. Wow, that was really nice. Let's try a different one. Ruckus sounds promising.... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.... Ohmygodthatissogood...

I have absolutely no idea how a sound so rich and thick can have such exquisite note definition, but it does. I mean... Jazz chords at Mark Day gain levels. And I'm not one for hyperbole. I have been here since FW6 and this, this is a game changer for me.

Wow. Thanks Cliff.

Firmware updates for the Axe Fx are always so satisfying. They're easy, fast and good. Never been disappointed. Although, I do have to say that I rarely modify my presets, as they're usually pretty good right out of the box, so I don't have some of the hardships some seem to experience. I imagine if I tweaked things a lot, I could get as pissed as some do. I'd be sitting back saying "dammit! Another free improvement that makes everything sound better! Now I gotta tweak some parameters again! I wish I was dead!"

Although, I will say that as much as I anticipate and enjoy update Friday, I think if I were Fractal I'd be doing it semi-annually, or perhaps quarterly. Not to cut down on the quantity/quality of the improvements, but to give people a breather. Do an update and live with it for a while. Don't get me wrong - I love improvements as much as anybody and am ecstatic when I see them - but I can't help but wonder every time I look at the machine whether it's doing all it can do. As things stand, you have to think it's not. Clearly, it's not, or we wouldn't see such non-stop development.

It's just spooky to find out that revision eleventy bajillion point 3 is out when you're on revision 6.1. What did I miss? Then you read the release notes and find out that revision eleventy bajillion six point 4 includes plans for taking over the world. Dammit! I could have been rich and famous!

All that said, I don't mean to complain. I am truly grateful and thankful for all the incredible work the Fractal team puts into making their products the envy of the industry, and I understand why Cliff wants to pump out innovations asap. It's gotta be exciting for him. All rants aside, I'd probably do the same thing given his talents and resources. Not to take anything away from anybody as there are a lotsa fun toys out there, but nothing comes anywhere close to a Fractal product. You tell anybody you're geared up with an Axe Fx and an Atomic CLR or two, and it's an argument stopper. It's pretty much at the point now that no matter what anybody has or does, you can do at least as good and usually better. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Point/counterpoint time: MORE UPDATES, NOT LESS UPDATES.

Keep 'em comin' fast & frequent, Mr. Chase!

With all the raves.. it must be something on my end. I was on 18.04 and loved the tones. I updated to 19 over the weekend and suddenly everything sounded extremely thin and harsh. A serious mega step backward. I went through the amps and cabs, etc. and everything looked ok. Tweaking the blocks didn't help it. Anyone else have this happen and if so what was the cure?
I had to go back to 18.04 just to get my daily tone fix.
Thanks

Check your Power Amp Modeling setting in the Global menu. Should be On. Simplest thing is to do a System Reset from the Utility menu.

Although, I will say that as much as I anticipate and enjoy update Friday, I think if I were Fractal I'd be doing it semi-annually, or perhaps quarterly. Not to cut down on the quantity/quality of the improvements, but to give people a breather. Do an update and live with it for a while. Don't get me wrong - I love improvements as much as anybody and am ecstatic when I see them - but I can't help but wonder every time I look at the machine whether it's doing all it can do. As things stand, you have to think it's not. Clearly, it's not, or we wouldn't see such non-stop development.

You can be like me and just do it that way yourself. I only update every 3 months or so, I just don't come around here much more often than that and I am just busy playing and enjoying the tones.

Check your Power Amp Modeling setting in the Global menu. Should be On. Simplest thing is to do a System Reset from the Utility menu.
I think I may need to do this as well. Things sounded very very good with v19 betas. After I updated to v19 official, with nothing changed, the amp modeling tones were much harsher and lacked girth/punch. I'll do a reset tonight per Cliff's recommendation and try again.

Firmware updates for the Axe Fx are always so satisfying. They're easy, fast and good. Never been disappointed. Although, I do have to say that I rarely modify my presets, as they're usually pretty good right out of the box, so I don't have some of the hardships some seem to experience. I imagine if I tweaked things a lot, I could get as pissed as some do. I'd be sitting back saying "dammit! Another free improvement that makes everything sound better! Now I gotta tweak some parameters again! I wish I was dead!"

It's just spooky to find out that revision eleventy bajillion point 3 is out when you're on revision 6.1. What did I miss? Then you read the release notes and find out that revision eleventy bajillion six point 4 includes plans for taking over the world. Dammit! I could have been rich and famous!

All that said, I don't mean to complain. I am truly grateful and thankful for all the incredible work the Fractal team puts into making their products the envy of the industry, and I understand why Cliff wants to pump out innovations asap. It's gotta be exciting for him. All rants aside, I'd probably do the same thing given his talents and resources. Not to take anything away from anybody as there are a lotsa fun toys out there, but nothing comes anywhere close to a Fractal product. You tell anybody you're geared up with an Axe Fx and an Atomic CLR or two, and it's an argument stopper. It's pretty much at the point now that no matter what anybody has or does, you can do at least as good and usually better. What could possibly be wrong with that?

From what I've seen, Cliff has a deep conviction around achieving perfection with this little black box, and his drive towards that goal is indefatigable. He ain't gonna stop, and every time he takes another step towards that, he's going to let us in on it. (Thank god) Honestly, every firmware upgrade, I say "Jesus, how could it get any better?", but Cliff and team always seem to, and v19 is no exception. Just mind-blowing. So buckle up fella, we're in for great ride!! :) BTW, I don't upgrade every time there's a release. I've got 40-ish presets I use as part of our act, and am not willing to go in and tweak them every few weeks, so I wait patiently for the major updates, and am perfectly happy with that.

Too many improvements? Not doing everything it's capable of? I think it's just a matter of Cliff actually made the thing from the start to be future proof, many products claim that, but this one actually is that, so as Cliff and Co come up with new ways of improving sounds and functionality they incorporate them.. Sure, it sounded great before and the improvements are (usually) evolutionary. I certainly prefer the approach at FAS to the usual model of "stick it in a new box with new graphics,a new UI and some new amps and call it a new product" that we are all too familiar with in similar (but lesser) products.

Also would seem to make the most sense for FAS to not have to go back and re-design a new unit with all the expense that entails, when they can keep the AXE cutting edge, keep their existing customers super happy and bring in new ones to buy the hardware platform that's still evolving. When the platform is no longer able to be improved through software, they will develop new hardware, I'd guess that's still a couple years off. Even then, your AXE will continue to sound as good as it does now (or technically better, as I'm sure there will be more subtle improvements between now and then).

You can be like me and just do it that way yourself. I only update every 3 months or so, I just don't come around here much more often than that and I am just busy playing and enjoying the tones.

This.

I pick and choose, pending the type of update. I always update at some point but it's up to our own discretion when we want to update. You read some of the other posts about this in the past and some of the guys....you have to laugh. I remember one fella had an absolute meltdown with it. I could almost literally see him tearing his house apart from reading his message he wrote. You would think that there's a gun to their head saying that they have to update. Just don't hit the update button...problem solved. I've had it where temptation got the best of me and, probably mildly under the influence on a Saturday night, went for it. It nipped me in the tail a few times and a few times it added that "extra" I was looking for, but it was never for the worse.

Haven't done this one yet... because I haven't needed to. I'm really good with 18, and don't use drive pedals much. I'm am amp distortion guy I guess. I have healthy drive on my amps, and I roll the volume pot in or out as needed. I've been super busy, and wouldn't have time to explore or tweak right now, so I'm holding off.

That said, I'll pretty curious and I know there are some other improvements so I will probably give it a shot in a couple of weeks. I'll let the test pilots sort out the kinks first, and one some nice presets start hitting the forum then I'll go in and download them as my own (for tweaking) without shame.:mrgreen

So, yes, "I'm with the If you don't like updates or tweaking... just wait!" logic crowd. That works wonderfully for me. I LOVE the updates, and I love even more that I can go get them when I am good and ready.

Yeah I hope the updates never end, "of course someday they will" but Like most of us, I love so much that Cliff is as giving and sharing as he is, other companies could really learn from how he cares about his customers... Even ones like me that were jerks to him years back, he is man enough to forgive and move on, great guy...

Back
Top Bottom