Axe FX II, wsill it be obselete?

pat6969

Inspired
I already own an 11r and an Atomic Amplifire, I love them both but am thinking of expanding the arsenal. There is a guy in my area selling an AxeFX II for a pretty decent price, my question is, will this end up the way of the standard and ultra? I realize you can't use XL patches on the II but I'm more concerned about future support and updates. I don't want to buy it if there is going to be an AxeFX III XL-plus in a year.

Thanks.

Fractal has said that they have not even begun to develop an Axe-Fx III...there is no indication that the II is any where near end of life and it appears that they will continue to be support and update for the foreseeable future.

Fractal has said that they have not even begun to develop an Axe-Fx III...there is no indication that the II is any where near end of life and it appears that they will continue to be support and update for the foreseeable future.

Check the news and announcements. The Axe-Fx III just released!!!

Axe-FX-III2_zpsbe253605.jpg

;)

if it does go the way of the standard/ultra, then it will still receive updates, just like the standard did. The XL is the new flagship, and if it can still run the latest technology and algorithms, FAS won't have a reason to make a new flagship unit. G3 (latest tech) just released a few months ago, so I think we're all safe for a few more years, at least, IMO.

My opinion also is that we're starting to plateau in the world of amp modeling at FAS. It can't get much more accurate. I think the next jumps in tech from FAS will be in regards to misc. effects that have been 'left behind' and more user-friendly features to make it easier to dial in tones. Or other units that appeal to other markets, like the AX8.

Just pay accordingly

Plenty of people are still buying and enjoyed used Standards and Ultra's. I wouldn't pay new prices for one, but for the right price it can still be a fantastic unit

I don't want to buy it if there is going to be an AxeFX III XL-plus in a year.

Honestly, the Axe-FX II Original serves myself well with FW 18.12. All technology and guitar gear becomes obsolete at some point. Fortunately for us, Cliff and FAS have still committed to having updates that come out for all supported models for now. When you hear the quality of FW 18 though, you will want to sell your 11R.

There's always a chance of "diminished return" as far as updates and latest technologies. Look at the iPhone 6... It's a bigger screen and does everything I need it to. That "next" feature that Apple will slam in everyone's face to "need" will be a joke to me and a "requirement" to someone else. It's inevitable that at some point, we have to be content or contented. I am finding this out the more I play with FW 18. FW 19 is going to be just THAT much better!

I hope that helps. If it's a steal and also if they have an MFC-101 with it, go for it. I have the II Original with a Mark II MFC that I basically got for free with mine and it has served me well for 1 1/2 years. It literally replaced all of my guitar gear.

Honestly, the Axe-FX II Original serves myself well with FW 18.12. All technology and guitar gear becomes obsolete at some point. Fortunately for us, Cliff and FAS have still committed to having updates that come out for all supported models for now. When you hear the quality of FW 18 though, you will want to sell your 11R.

There's always a chance of "diminished return" as far as updates and latest technologies. Look at the iPhone 6... It's a bigger screen and does everything I need it to. That "next" feature that Apple will slam in everyone's face to "need" will be a joke to me and a "requirement" to someone else. It's inevitable that at some point, we have to be content or contented. I am finding this out the more I play with FW 18. FW 19 is going to be just THAT much better!

I hope that helps. If it's a steal and also if they have an MFC-101 with it, go for it. I have the II Original with a Mark II MFC that I basically got for free with mine and it has served me well for 1 1/2 years. It literally replaced all of my guitar gear.

I have a GCP w/ exp. pedals that I use with the 11r, I'm thinking I could just use that.

I realize eventually everything will become obsolete, I just don't want to fork out that kind of cash if I can't get 2-3 years use, at least. I paid $350 used for an 11r a while back so I really don't care that it's a dead product. $1500 plus is another story.

Thanks for the info guys, or most of you anyway.

I predict Axe 3 will be out in Oct/Nov in time to spark Xmas sales and compete with the new Line 6 Helix. Mark my words, Axe 3 will be here before the end of this year. Yes Cliff said he hadn't begun working on it, but now Line 6 has something that is probably comparable to Axe 2 at only $1,500... time for Cliff to raise the bar again... Axe 3 by end of year, mark my words yall.

I predict Axe 3 will be out in Oct/Nov in time to spark Xmas sales and compete with the new Line 6 Helix. Mark my words, Axe 3 will be here before the end of this year. Yes Cliff said he hadn't begun working on it, but now Line 6 has something that is probably comparable to Axe 2 at only $1,500... time for Cliff to raise the bar again... Axe 3 by end of year, mark my words yall.

Lots of positive speculation that it will be comparable ! Will more than likely be an improvement , but I seriously doubt comparable to an Ax Fx!!

All electronics are superseded by better ones, it's just the nature of things. There will be a III, then maybe a IV but eventually others will reverse engineer the things and come up with ways to do it cheaper.

Do you wait? Think of all the calls grandma would have missed if she waited for cellular service, turning her nose up at rotary dial party lines.

Me too, I will probably have enough money to buy the XL Plus by the end of JULY, but if Axe 3 comes out a few months after that this year I will sell it and buy Axe 3.

It's best to sell off your Axe flagship as soon as the next best Fractal model comes out so you don't lose as much resale value. The longer you wait to sell your Fractal gear the less money you will get back on it.

So in theory, if I bought a Axe 2 xl plus today, and Axe 3 came out the very next day, I'd sell the axe 2 immediately so I'd lose the least amount of money.

That's my strategy anyways.

So, if I am to understand this, the OP is asking if a piece of technology (AFII) that models obsolete technology (t00bs/valves) will become obsolete itself?

If one must have the latest and greatest despite its actual performance/use, then perhaps it will become obsolete as soon as the AFIII comes out. For my money, the AFII is so good at modeling a vacuum tube amplifier with tremendous flexibility and a ton of whizz-bang effects that it would be in the stable for decades. I only purchase gear I intend to keep.

The eventual release of AFIII will not suddenly make the AFII stop rocking your socks off. However, this is all coming from someone who uses a 15yr. old soundcard (Pulsar I)...

I predict you're wrong.

While consumer electronics sales do peak around the holidays, I hardly think too many people are buying each other Axe3's as Xmas gifts.

Likewise, I don't think Fractal really operates their business based around what L6 is doing.

Unless little Bobby it one spoiled brat I can't see "santa" choosing between getting him a L6 unit from the Musicians Friend catalog or order an Axe3

I realize eventually everything will become obsolete, I just don't want to fork out that kind of cash if I can't get 2-3 years use, at least. I paid $350 used for an 11r a while back so I really don't care that it's a dead product. $1500 plus is another story.

It is another story, but once you're familiar with the flexibility that the Axe-FX II Original (even) gives you with the incredibly accurate modeling, you'll sell your gear.

I understand that an ElevenRack is more entry level and Avid did a great job at making that product. However, they aren't nearly as accurate of models and referencing of real amps in addition to having to pay for upgrades if there are upgrades to be made. If you invest in the Axe-FX and an MFC, you have the full gamut of tonal/sonic possibilities even if it's an "older" model.

I won't lie, I will be buying the AX8 when it comes out but that's only because of the compact size it offers. It may or may not have the full range of possibilities as the Axe-FX II [any], but I'm willing to compromise for some of the key components it will be offering. Honestly, it comes down to what you're needs and wants are. The Axe-FX works superb for me for AMP and CAB modeling with ambient presets for my church gigs as well as classic rock tunes. Hope this helps mate, I would go for it and load FW 18.12 then use your Atomic.

You can thank me in about 3 months (let it sink in ;) ).

Back
Top Bottom