Axe-FX III on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKeditor

Experienced
The II is being phased out. From my understanding the XL doesn't bring much to the game unless you need more patches or IR slots. When will next evolution be revealed?

Recently? I don't know if it would be that terrible. Chevy plans for a new model Corvette every year. It doesn't seem to deter people from buying them.

Who exactly do you think is able to answer that question ?

Cliff & Co aren't going to share that information publicly, any suppliers etc would certainly have NDA's, and no one else has any better guess than you would.

Want a date with zero factual basis ? Oct 14th, 2016 Axe III will be announced, start shipping first units Jan 22nd, 2017 (due to a small production delay), next batch doesn't show up in the country for 45 more days, and pre-order list remains in effect until late Summer.

So there go....

Oct 14th, 2016 Axe III will be announced, start shipping first units Jan 22nd, 2017 (due to a small production delay), next batch doesn't show up in the country for 45 more days, and pre-order list remains in effect until late Summer.

Can I quote you on that? :lol

Recently? I don't know if it would be that terrible. Chevy plans for a new model Corvette every year. It doesn't seem to deter people from buying them.

Advanced info getting out has hurt current product year sales quite a few times, when its revealed next years product is going to feature a next generation engine, have significant performance improvements etc.

If we assume its just an incremental update, such as one model year to the next, build on the same platform, is, then no, people still buy the current one, but if Cliff says in 6 months there will be an Axe III, with twice the CPU power, a huge customizable front panel display, totally new modeling, no backwards compatibility etc, wouldn't most people wait to buy it ?

The II is being phased out. From my understanding the XL doesn't bring much to the game unless you need more patches or IR slots. When will next evolution be revealed?

Phased out? There are still amps that are not even G3'd so how is the Axe-Fx phased out? :)

I would be extremely happy with the Axe-Fx reaching a point where there's no need for further development.

It is solely the AxeFX II he is speaking about, as Fractal will continue with the XL and XL+ for the foreseeable future. Just as info.

- Cliff, 11/2014: I haven't even started on the design of an Axe-Fx III. The current platform has lots of life left. We are focusing our attention on several other products at this time.

Phased out? There are still amps that are not even G3'd so how is the Axe-Fx phased out? :)

I would be extremely happy with the Axe-Fx reaching a point where there's no need for further development.

Man that drives me crazy even thinking about it.
I would be perfectly happy if Axe fx ceased development today, and just kept selling the current unit.. To me everything sounds as good as I could ever dream of.. But, as we all know.. There's gonna be a new unit eventually , better sounding modeling , and I'll freak out and insist I cannot live without it .

- Cliff, 11/2014: I haven't even started on the design of an Axe-Fx III. The current platform has lots of life left. We are focusing our attention on several other products at this time.

And all of those products are cheaper than the II, while the III would certainly be more expensive and appeal to a smaller market share.

Every business seeking growth has to eventually decide: do they want to go down market and increase volume or go up scale and cater to the wealthy.

If I had a $ for each time this question was asked.... :?

You'd have enough for the III
thumbsup.gif

Have there been advances in the Tigershark DSP? More powerful chips? Because as I understand it until there is, the current variations of Axe-FX II (which are basically all the same engine, with some hardware/memory differences) really fully exploit the platform. As always (and often!) I could be wrong.

Word has it that it will have 4 Processors, one for each of the duties, Amp sims, Cab Sims, Effects and one for teaching you how to play your guitar. It's also rumored to have an anti bitching and weenie measuring feature for when you feel like you have been punked by another musician and... and, a frustration detection algo for when you have tweaked too much and can't figure out what you are doing. Probably the coolest feature of all as it just says you aren't worthy and turns itself off.

Have there been advances in the Tigershark DSP? More powerful chips?
Don't know about the TS camp, but many have reported more powerful chips from other manufacturers for a year or 2 - 3...
But seems it would take a crazy amount of code refacturing too.
Another reason Cliff may sit this one out a bit...

I think I even heard a very vague rumour that TS may not be interested in a more powerful chip and would sooner downgrade.
The chip may not be that succesful besides the Axe.
Like you, I could (hopefully) be completely wrong there... ;)

It's been stated before, but it's not about how powerful the chip is, it's about how it handles what the Axe does....and unless something has changed the chip that is used is the best there is for handling the Axe.

i was an early adopter of the 2. the only reason i ditched the ultra was because of the usb. at the time buying an interface as good as the axe 2 provided wasnt any cheaper than selling and upgrading. i dont know how much better people are going to need things to sound. any more money i spend on this stuff will probably be towards better and better frfr solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom