So...Now the FX8 is in peoples hands...what do you think?

The footswitches don't need to be fixed: they're working as designed.
FX8 switches 1-8 have dual functions: tap turns an effect ON or OFF and hold switches it between X and Y.
Therefore, the unit needs to wait for the up so it can measure the time interval to detect which of the above you are trying to execute.

We have talked up a few ideas that could make "down-switching" effects possible, but they all come with sacrifices attached.
For example: we could add an option to disable hold X/Y switching (leaving scenes to handle it). Or we could allow you to sacrifice some other footswitch function (Scene? Looper? True Bypass?) to create a dedicated X/Y Switching Mode.

In practice though, I've found that it is better if you just get yourself used to "slapping" the footswitches so changes feel instantaneous. All these other options add complexity and remove flexibility.

In no time, you'll be used to it, and I think you'll be glad for it.

I was referencing some of the more intricate patches that are possible with the Axe Fx. I could have said pitch shifting\harmonizing patches that use parallel routing with multi tap and reverb blocks... but I think everyone got what I was talking about with just mentioning "bag pipes\violin\etc." These are fairly complicated and requires an intimate knowledge of the Axe FX to create. Since the Fractal guys would be the most capable to build these patches for the FX8, it's not an unreasonable request to ask them to provide these. I don't know who is serious guitarists and who isn't, but having used some of these complicated patches with my band (using an Axe FX), I would prefer not purchase a Roland unit if the FX8 can cop these tones.

The FX8 is state of the art. Much is possible. Especially for a floor-based controller.
At the same time: it's no Axe-Fx. For example, there's no SYNTH. And while it can handle parallel effects fine, it doesn't have the ultimate flexibility of a 4x12 grid. It also doesn't support user cabs.
So not all creative, esoteric presets on the Axe-Fx can be shared with the FX8.

Can you change the hold time it takes for the X\Y switch to engage? Also, if you could change the hold time for the tuner to engage, I would find this very helpful... had a few gig flubs with my M9 going into tuner mode by mistake.

FX8 switches 1-8 have dual functions: tap turns an effect ON or OFF and hold switches it between X and Y.
Therefore, the unit needs to wait for the up so it can measure the time interval to detect which of the above you are trying to execute.

We have talked up a few ideas that could make "down-switching" effects possible, but they all come with sacrifices attached.
For example: we could add an option to disable hold X/Y switching (leaving scenes to handle it). Or we could allow you to sacrifice some other footswitch function (Scene? Looper? True Bypass?) to create a dedicated X/Y Switching Mode.

In practice though, I've found that it is better if you just get yourself used to "slapping" the footswitches so changes feel instantaneous. All these other options add complexity and remove flexibility.

Is it the same switching when in looper mode?? Recording engages/disengages when the footswitch is released?

I think having the ability to disable x/y switching would be a good "fix"

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know if it sounds real good with 4cm....
The ax fx 2 ate too much signal in my tests,
and I was not happy with it.
I do not want my amps will sound differently...

Someone recently posted their experience with this issue. They have an AxeFxII and they said the FX-8 was remarkably transparent and improved in that regard compared to the AxeFxII in 4cm...

For those that have tried it, is there a short gap of silence when switching presets while the looper is busy playing? It seemed like there was in at least 1 video, but I don't know if it was an early firmware or not.

Is the switching "instant" or on the downstroke when in sticky scene mode?

I was referencing some of the more intricate patches that are possible with the Axe Fx. I could have said pitch shifting\harmonizing patches that use parallel routing with multi tap and reverb blocks... but I think everyone got what I was talking about with just mentioning "bag pipes\violin\etc." These are fairly complicated and requires an intimate knowledge of the Axe FX to create. Since the Fractal guys would be the most capable to build these patches for the FX8, it's not an unreasonable request to ask them to provide these. I don't know who is serious guitarists and who isn't, but having used some of these complicated patches with my band (using an Axe FX), I would prefer not purchase a Roland unit if the FX8 can cop these tones.

Many of the "intricate" patches you are talking were in fact recreated by hand for the FX8. You should check out Bank G.

Many of the more intricate ones in the Axe-Fx, though, rely on differences between the Axe-Fx and the FX8. For example, you mentioned several sounds that are built around the synth block, which the FX8 doesn't feature. And many of the crazier patches rely on two multi-delays that are fed into each other on a separate parallel grid row. The FX8 features a different architecture than the 4X12 grid, as Yek mentioned, and features a single multi-delay.

It's called the FX8, not the FXAsManyEffectsAsAFullPoweredAxeFxIIXL+CanHandleBeforeHitting93%CPU ;-)

But seriously: check out Bank G.

Reactions: yek

For those of us that don't use or need X/Y switching the option to disable would be nice to have.

Mine is working great. Easy to program. The sounds are excellent. Changes are quick. Works great with the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo changing the channels on my Bogner XTC. Found a small bug when switching presets while using the BPMs and tempo in the parameters but I'm sure they will get that sorted out in a software update (they always do). Sticking with milliseconds in the meantime and she works like a charm. I'm a touch color challenged (not fully colorblind) so I have a hard time distinguishing between the amber and the green lights but that's just a personal thing. Bottom line is it's a fantastic product and was worth every penny.

Mine is working great. Easy to program. The sounds are excellent. Changes are quick. Works great with the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo changing the channels on my Bogner XTC. Found a small bug when switching presets while using the BPMs and tempo in the parameters but I'm sure they will get that sorted out in a software update (they always do). Sticking with milliseconds in the meantime and she works like a charm. I'm a touch color challenged (not fully colorblind) so I have a hard time distinguishing between the amber and the green lights but that's just a personal thing. Bottom line is it's a fantastic product and was worth every penny.

How are you using the Mini Amp Gizmo for your relays? Are you using the midi connection and no the TRS 1/4"?

Not using relays. FX8 midi out/thru to Mini Amp Gizmo. Out of MAG to Bogner XTC foot switch Jack using specialty cable made by RJM.

It's VERY good in 4CM. My experiences with the Ultra and Axe-FX II were similar to yours - unacceptable results in 4CM, too much noise and signal loss. The FX8 is a night and day difference. It feels and sounds VERY close to being plugged straight into the amp, and the level controls made it easy to get the signal/noise ratio to an optimal level. I'm using it with standard cables since my humbuster cables haven't come in yet, so there is a little bit of ground hum (surprisingly little). Using an Axess Electonics buffer with an isolated out fixed the hum completely, so I think the humbuster cables will probably deliver the same result.

Not using relays. FX8 midi out/thru to Mini Amp Gizmo. Out of MAG to Bogner XTC foot switch Jack using specialty cable made by RJM.

So you're controlling your channel switching through the FX8 with the midi out? I didn't realize that could be done.

Back
Top Bottom