Eddie Van Halen working on new 'Plexi on Steroids'

jonhep

Inspired
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Having owned a Bray, various marshalls, a 5150 iii etc, I find this a very interesting development. I have often tried to get an amp tone in the area of classic EVH tone ala Mean Streets , and feel like I get it with the Axe Fx better than anything I ever used before. Would love to own a Friedman for full on balls to the wall 'amp in the room' experience for fun, but not likely to fork out that kind of money when I have an Axe Fx. This could be tempting though if done right. It could end up been like a Friedman Brown Eye but a more 'for the people' price. Maybe it will end up as another amp in the Axe at some point or maybe it will demonstrate how close some of the amps in the Axe such as the HBE are already there?

see guitar world on line, have removed link as caused probs.

Last edited:
That link took me to a very bad place-had to end task on IE11 to get out-Definitely not good-all kinds of scarey red warning dialog boxes-

Just sayin-Be careful guys and Gals

That link took me to a very bad place-had to end task on IE11 to get out-Definitely not good-all kinds of scarey red warning dialog boxes-

Just sayin-Be careful guys and Gals

SAME HERE HAD TO KILL CHROME WITH TASK MANAGER! NOT GOOD!!!

But I thought his tone is in his fingers...

I cringe every time I hear guitarists saying this BS. If that were true there'd be one amp for all, one guitar for all, one set of strings for all, and no need for an Axe FX with 200+ amp models to dial in the tone of your dreams.

Yes, vibrato, pick attack, phrasing of licks, speed of fingers etc is in the hands but certainly not tone.

I cringe every time I hear guitarists saying this BS. If that were true there'd be one amp for all, one guitar for all, one set of strings for all, and no need for an Axe FX with 200+ amp models to dial in the tone of your dreams.

Yes, vibrato, pick attack, phrasing of licks, speed of fingers etc is in the hands but certainly not tone.

:mrgreen I was being sarcastic referring to what he said in an interview that he did with Fender. Confusing playing technique with how an amp sounds is mind boggling, I never understood it.

sorry bout the link, not sure whats happened there , it was just a link to the guitar world interview if any one wants to find it

There's a measure of truth to it. Your technique affects your tone. The authority or restraint with which you address the strings, the care with which you mute the strings, and other factors of your playing, can change the nature of the sound coming out of your rig. Those finger-and-hands things directly affect your tone.

i was at a guitar store once, and someone was playing a Marshall I-don't-remember-what. It sounded pretty rough, and other customers were commenting on how crappy the amp sounded. After he got through playing, I got curious and started playing the same rig and guitar. Didn't seem so bad. One of the customers came up to me and asked what I'd changed to make the amp sound so much better. The answer: I changed the guitarist. I know others who've had similar experiences.

The truth is, your fingers have direct control over significant aspects of your tone.

Last edited:
Omg not still.

The VH sound was a stock 1968 plexi through a variac. Want it on steroids? Add a preamp tube or a pedal before the input.

Sustainplayer: use the front input- this is where cliff added his own 'special sauce'. I have noticed, over time, having my plexi on steriods creates a bigger, heavier tone with more 'body'. A side effect is that it can also become more 'aggressive' sounding.

Sustainplayer: use the front input- this is where cliff added his own 'special sauce'. I have noticed, over time, having my plexi on steriods creates a bigger, heavier tone with more 'body'. A side effect is that it can also become more 'aggressive' sounding.

But it seems my Axe is getting pimples now. Should I be worried?

Back
Top Bottom