Is USA IIC+ BRIGHT the same as USA IIC+ NORM with Bright switch active?

dtpancio

Simple question as reported in the thread's title. Are they equivalent? I think not, so what's the difference?

Well thank you Hubertus, but not so simple :D

I mean: is USA IIC+ BRIGHT the same as USA IIC+ NORM with the bright switch in the amp block, basic page of the AxeEdit, on?

Well thank you Hubertus, but not so simple :D

I mean: is USA IIC+ BRIGHT the same as USA IIC+ NORM with the bright switch in the amp block, basic page of the AxeEdit, on?

I'm following this thread now so I can find out too.

My guess is that it has something to do with the fact that Mesa MKII's had 2 Bright switches involved when using their Lead Channels.
The 1st Pull Bright switch is on the Vol 1 pot and affects the Clean Channel mostly but I think it's also active to some degree when Pull Lead is selected as well.
The 2nd Pull Bright switch is on the Lead Master pot and only affects the Lead Channel.

My guess is that both of the IIC+ model's in the Axe have the 1st Pull bright switch disabled by default, but you can toggle it on with the Axe's Bright switch if you want.
The IIC+ Bright sim was probably modeled with the 2nd Pull Bright switch of a real MKIIC+ on.

Am I close?

Am I close?

I'm curious about this question too...not specific to this amp, even, just all amps that have a "bright" version and a normal version: is the "bright version just the regular amp with the bright switch engaged, or is it a separate amp (or some other difference)?

I'm following this thread now so I can find out too.

My guess is that it has something to do with the fact that Mesa MKII's had 2 Bright switches involved when using their Lead Channels.
The 1st Pull Bright switch is on the Vol 1 pot and affects the Clean Channel mostly but I think it's also active to some degree when Pull Lead is selected as well.
The 2nd Pull Bright switch is on the Lead Master pot and only affects the Lead Channel.

My guess is that both of the IIC+ model's in the Axe have the 1st Pull bright switch disabled by default, but you can toggle it on with the Axe's Bright switch if you want.
The IIC+ Bright sim was probably modeled with the 2nd Pull Bright switch of a real MKIIC+ on.

Am I close?

I think you're pretty close. My guess is that the bright switch on the amp block is a "standard" tweak. It applies the same transformation to the signal, but this doesn't mean it affects the sound in the same way on every amp.
And I think the behavior of the bright switch on the IIC+ is different than the switch on the amp block so Cliff modeled the IIC+ with both settings. Then, enabling the bright switch on the amp block, can brighten the tone, but in a different way. Anyone tried to solve this question by ear? :D

No. The Bright Switch in the amp block switches in a virtual "bright cap" on the virtual Drive potentiometer. The Pull Bright on a Mark II/III/IV amp switches in a 0.22uF capacitor on the cathode of the last lead stage.

So Cliff,

USA IIC+ Norm ---> LEAD MASTER / PULL BRIGHT button pushed
USA IIC+ Bright ---> LEAD MASTER / PULL BRIGHT button pulled
Is this right ?

Is there something wrong there : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...all-about-mesa-boogie-mark-iic-axe-fx-ii.html ?
If it's the case, I'd like to correct it with your help, please (I can't edit this post).

Thanks.

From the release notes of the firmware 18.08:

Added two new USA IIC+ models. There are now four models for this amp:
 USA IIC+: Pull Bright off, Pull Deep off.
 USA IIC+ Bright: Pull Bright on, Pull Deep off.
 USA IIC+ Deep: Pull Bright off, Pull Deep on.
 USA IIC+ Brt/Dp: Pull Bright on, Pull Deep on.
Note that the Pull Bright on the amp’s Volume knob is equivalent to the model’s Bright Switch under the Treble control and the Pull Shift on the amp’s Treble knob is equivalent to the model’s Fat switch under the Mid control.

So..

Pull Bright on the Volume knob is the Bright Switch under the Treble control
Pull Bright on the Lead Master knob il the USA IIC+ Bright or the USA IIC+ Brt/Dp
Pull Deep on the Master 1 knob is the USA IIC+ Deep or the USA IIC+ Brt/Dp
Pull Shift on the Treble knob is the Fat Switch under the Mid control

Correct?

And..

Pull Shift under the Bass knob?
Pull Lead under the Lead Drive knob?

Thanks Cliff

From the release notes of the firmware 18.08:

So..

Pull Bright on the Volume knob is the Bright Switch under the Treble control
Pull Bright on the Lead Master knob il the USA IIC+ Bright or the USA IIC+ Brt/Dp
Pull Deep on the Master 1 knob is the USA IIC+ Deep or the USA IIC+ Brt/Dp
Pull Shift on the Treble knob is the Fat Switch under the Mid control

Correct?

And..

Pull Shift under the Bass knob?
Pull Lead under the Lead Drive knob?

Thanks Cliff

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Pull Shift under the Bass knob is not modeled since it doesn't sound good. Pull Lead is the channel switch. Push it in for clean, pull out for lead. The clean channel is not modeled as it sounds the same as the Mark IV clean.

Back
Top Bottom