Suggestions on what you've done to enjoy 18.03

Doing a system reset and having that "fix" things does not surprise me at all. There are a variety of parameters that affect the overall sound that could be set incorrectly either by accident or by a bug in previous firmware. A system reset gives you a clean slate and ensures that the unit sounds as intended. The only drawback is that any changes you've made to I/O and MIDI control assignments will be lost.

Doing a system reset and having that "fix" things does not surprise me at all.
This exact thing is what brought 80% of my 15.x presets back to life and usable again. Still required some very minor tweaks after the reset, but nowhere near the effort it would have taken doing them all manually.

I've found a couple of new patches on the Exchange that just DOMINATE for what I need. Overall very pleased with the update. I can't believe how often you guys GIVE us new toys to play with.

Ugh

Well I completely borked something (user error to be sure as I've not done this before and was trying to get my expression pedal back to no avail) and have no output now.

Embarassing actually.

EDIT - a reboot of the Axe brought output back...now to figure out how to get my ext1 Mission pedal back...

EDIT REDUX -all good now :)

Last edited:
Doing a system reset and having that "fix" things does not surprise me at all. There are a variety of parameters that affect the overall sound that could be set incorrectly either by accident or by a bug in previous firmware. A system reset gives you a clean slate and ensures that the unit sounds as intended. The only drawback is that any changes you've made to I/O and MIDI control assignments will be lost.

Would this be an "unofficial" recommendation for every FW update then? Or maybe every major version number? Perhaps this will quell the "load firmware 3x to make sure" mentality?

Maybe, as a wish list, we can have a system reset option that clears up everything except for the I/O and Midi control assignments (and maybe provide options on those too on which to clear or not).

Would this be an "unofficial" recommendation for every FW update then? Or maybe every major version number? Perhaps this will quell the "load firmware 3x to make sure" mentality?
I don't know whether it would be a recommendation, official or otherwise, but it's certainly something that should be tried before giving up on the latest firmware.

Maybe, as a wish list, we can have a system reset option that clears up everything except for the I/O and Midi control assignments (and maybe provide options on those too on which to clear or not).
The problem is that misconfiguration in those areas can cause tone problems.

The problem is that misconfiguration in those areas can cause tone problems.

Sure, but what I'm saying is that if the I/O settings and midi are not the culprit, we will have the option of resetting everything else but those. If that still doesn't fix the issues, then there is that last resort of having a total system reset as an option.

Doing a system reset and having that "fix" things does not surprise me at all.
Is this is an instantaneous process without any prompt to indicate system parameters have been reset? That's what happened to me anyway - the Axe didn't skip a beat. I guess my parameters were all OK to be begin with.

Sure, but what I'm saying is that if the I/O settings and midi are not the culprit, we will have the option of resetting everything else but those. If that still doesn't fix the issues, then there is that last resort of having a total system reset as an option.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. But by taking out some of the prime culprits, you'd wind up with an option that won't help many people, and will just take extra time and effort.

Just an idea... Perhaps the system reset could be enhanced with options to select the collections of items to be reset?

For example... By default, it would select all items that are reset today. But the enhancement would enable the user to override by un-selecting the collections of items they do not want to reset (i.e. I/O and/or MIDI)

I just finished the first rehearsal since loading 18.03 AND doing the full system reset. Huge success. This was also the first time since somewhere around FW10 that my buddies actually mentioned how awesome my tone has become! Before the system reset I contemplated rolling back to FW17; now there is no way I'm going back. If it sounds boxy or flabby try the reset. Seriously. Thanks again Cliff!!!

Just an idea... Perhaps the system reset could be enhanced with options to select the collections of items to be reset?

For example... By default, it would select all items that are reset today. But the enhancement would enable the user to override by un-selecting the collections of items they do not want to reset (i.e. I/O and/or MIDI)
I see where you're coming from, and I like having more options. But there are already so many posts along the lines of "What am I supposed to do with all these different ways to reset? What does it all mean?" Imagine the can of worms that would be opened if there were even more reset options. :)

I would not vote in favor of this.
A reset is what it is. Dividing it into portions only creates confusion.

Every user should know anyhow what each I/O and Global menu parameter does.

So I've been reading this thread and decided to perform a Reset All Parameters as well.(I used to do it after every Firmware Update but stopped a while ago). I picked the HBE Factory Preset, played and listened, it sounded good. I did the Reset All Parameters and low and behold the HBE Preset now sounds great the difference was instantly apparent !!!! All my Presets sound better also ..... Rock It !!!!

Last edited:
I would not vote in favor of this.
A reset is what it is. Dividing it into portions only creates confusion.
I agree. Going over the I/O settings is not a big deal.

However, it would be nice to have a way to export/import the two "big list" settings: custom scales and the MIDI CC assignments list. It would be great if Fractal-Bot or Axe-Edit could backup and restore those separately.

However, it would be nice to have a way to export/import the two "big list" settings: custom scales and the MIDI CC assignments list. It would be great if Fractal-Bot or Axe-Edit could backup and restore those separately.
Good point. That would save some work by restoring larger lists of stuff that aren't as likely to impact your tone. Still have full system backup, but allow granular restores. And the system reset would still be a simple, one-shot deal.

I had no problems with 18.xx updates, I love it and definitely feel differences.
However after reading this thread I decided to do a system reset just in case :).
And after I did that, I find out that all my patches where I used Input Noise Gate (Intelligent mode) are now sounds like threshold is set too high, it eating the signal very hard. So I have to lower threshold from -30.7 (like it was before) to somewhere around -77. I tried to adjust input volume but it had no affect on noise gate.
It sounds like input volume are the same as it was before reset and all amps (Presets) sounds like they have the same amount of distortion (luckily i record short clip before reset, and then make re-amped to hear the difference - no saturation changes) So it's looks like Noise Gate was affected and not the input level.
I never messed with input volumes, it stayed the same since I purchased Axe in FW 9 era.

Also I noticed that AC-20 Dlx 12Ax7 is changed a lot after reset, it got more middle frequencies and less distortion in default settings.

Now I feel like it's better to perform this reset from time to time.

I have about three completely built-from-scratch presets that I've spent a fair amount of time tweaking to get them right. Enough time that I'm reluctant to start over with them.

When 18 first came out, I reset the amp blocks on those three, but they still needed a lot of tweaking for the tones I was after; it wasn't a "OMG, the amps are all perfect right out of the box" moment for me. Yesterday, I noticed that one of my multi-delay blocks was not in stereo anymore, and couldn't figure out why: all the pan settings showed up correctly. I had to replace that block with a new one, and immediately the panning was working again.

So I think I might need a reset, but I'm reluctant to lose all the tweaks I have done. I have backups of that bank and of the system parameters under 18.04B firmware. To get back to the clean slate with complete certainty, would I want to just do a "restore factory defaults" step, then load that bank from AxeEdit? Or does reloading the bank load up the same "issues" that were potential problems before? And if I also reload the backup of the system parameters, would that also reload any settings issues? Is it advisable to load up the factory banks as part of the erasure, then restore my bank after?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how complete the erasure of the system needs to be, and whether the issues reside in the sysex files or elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom