How to assign looper functions to instant access switches on MFC-101 III

rhizome

I am currently using the looper frequently so I am looking to assign instant access buttons 6-10 to looper functions permanently instead of using the 'reveal' function. Does anyone know how to do this? If I go to edit/midi/IA06... the options are scenes and effects and looper on/off, but not the looper functions. If I try to assign IntCC 06 to the midi CC for looper record function (28), it does not work either. thanks for any ideas.

Sven

go to the AxeFunction for the switch (Delay, Reverb, DriveXY, etc.) and set that to NONE.

on the next page set the CC# for the switch to the corresponding CC# in the Axe Front Panel I/O CTRL list for Looper functions. repeat for each switch.

you are now using "General" MIDI commands, not Axe functions, as Play, Record, Undo, etc aren't in that Axe Function list - this is why you have to set it to NONE.

you might also want to set up Switch Links for the looper functions, especially Rec and Play. i show this briefly in my Looper video at 16:53:

I was about to ask the same question. Funny how that happens. My problem was I had the Axe Function "Looper" programed. Everything else was good.

I noticed "Looper1" in MFC Edit. Is this related? Maybe a function for the MKIII?

What about having to hit Stop/Play and Looper Bypass twice? Will setting Switch Links resolve that issue?

What about having to hit Stop/Play and Looper Bypass twice? Will setting Switch Links resolve that issue?

"Switch Links" links multiple switches together. other controllers call this "grouping" buttons/switches. it makes it possible for only 1 switch of the group to be on at any given time. so this should solve most of the Play/Rec issues.

i don't know what you mean by "Looper Bypass twice" though. you are bypassing the looper block at some point?

I have mine setup to auto play after I finish recording. So if I:

Hit record to begin > Hit record to end > Loop begins playing
Then I hit the Play/Stop button to stop the loop. I have to hit it twice.
If Bypass was on, I'd have to hit Bypass twice to hear the loop IIRC.

Once I've hit these twice, they act normally.

i think i'm just curious why you are bypassing the Looper block at all when you have stop/play.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall my reasoning for that when I designed my MFC layout. It's something I could do w/o but at the moment isn't causing an issue.\

I ran across a post yesterday when pursuing other Looper information that touched on the same issue. But now I can't find it.

Thanks Chris for posting this. I’m having a bit of trouble. I have switch one and two set to preset switching and then 3,4, and 5 set to record, play, and stack respectively. I did everything you said to do but haven’t been able to get the looper to work.

Any thing you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Max

go to the AxeFunction for the switch (Delay, Reverb, DriveXY, etc.) and set that to NONE.

on the next page set the CC# for the switch to the corresponding CC# in the Axe Front Panel I/O CTRL list for Looper functions. repeat for each switch.

you are now using "General" MIDI commands, not Axe functions, as Play, Record, Undo, etc aren't in that Axe Function list - this is why you have to set it to NONE.

you might also want to set up Switch Links for the looper functions, especially Rec and Play. i show this briefly in my Looper video at 16:53:

Thanks Chris for posting this. I’m having a bit of trouble. I have switch one and two set to preset switching and then 3,4, and 5 set to record, play, and stack respectively. I did everything you said to do but haven’t been able to get the looper to work.

Any thing you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Max

Did you change the Axe function setting to None for switches 3-5?

Yes
I'm wondering if it has something todo with the fact that switch 1and2 are preset switches. At least that's what I set them for so I could have two different preset options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes
I'm wondering if it has something todo with the fact that switch 1and2 are preset switches. At least that's what I set them for so I could have two different preset options.

what is your Bank Size set to?

In your video you never went through the details of choosing the cc for each switch. Maybe I'm not doing that correctly!

in the MFC MIDI menu (Edit, switch 4), go to the page that says

IA01 Axe-Fx _______

use the Bank Up button (far right) to select IA03 - 05 are set to NONE.

then go to the next page (should say IA01 c1 CC#___ Ch__)

this is where you set the "general" usage of the switch.

again, use the Bank Up button to select IA03. Parameter Right (switch 12) to the CC# part (3rd part) and change it to the correct CC number for the Looper functions you want. this list is in the I/O CTRL menu on the front panel of the Axe.

repeat for IA04 and 05 and this should do it.

in the MFC MIDI menu (Edit, switch 4), go to the page that says

IA01 Axe-Fx _______

use the Bank Up button (far right) to select IA03 - 05 are set to NONE.

then go to the next page (should say IA01 c1 CC#___ Ch__)

this is where you set the "general" usage of the switch.

again, use the Bank Up button to select IA03. Parameter Right (switch 12) to the CC# part (3rd part) and change it to the correct CC number for the Looper functions you want. this list is in the I/O CTRL menu on the front panel of the Axe.

repeat for IA04 and 05 and this should do it.

Thanks Chris. I think I found the problem. I used cc24 for record and 25 for play. I found those CCs off of this forum from a posted list. I decided to go to the manual and find out what the cc number was that was listed there and found out that it's actually 28 and 29. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Again thanks for your help.

Yes. Problem solved. Wrong cc number.

On to the next. I'm thinking about using one switch to do two different presets. Like an ab and then use the up and down to access sequential sets of of presets all controlled by switch one.

Last edited:
Hi, i've set my mfc 101 like chris did in his video i.e. "play" and "rec" as 2 IA switch so i don't need to enter the loop mode, i configured bank size to 0 and i have 8 IA to change scenes. The looper is in stereo and i use quantization 1/4.

It seems like when i switch from one scene to another while a loop is playing, step by step the loop is no longer synched to the beat which is playing at a constant bpm. If i stay on the same scene, the loop is correctly synched...

Hi,

I am trying to assign the looper record (CC#028) and looper play (CC#029) to instant access switch 1 and 2 (respectively), I would prefer this over having to use the looper reveal mode, but it is currently not working. Here is what I am doing to make this happen:

1) In the MIDI settings, I am going to the IA## Axe-Fx page and setting the IA01 and IA02 settings to NONE.
2) In the MIDI settings, I am going to the IA## c# CC### Ch## page and changing the values to IA01 c1 CC#028 Ch01 and IA02 c1 CC#029 Ch01.
3) In the Setup settings, the Axe-Fx Mode is set to XL+
4) In the Setup settings, I have set LinkA 01 02 -- -- --

Some more information about my setup, I am using the Faslink connection. I am not sure if I need to adjust the bank size, but it is currently set at 5. I am also using Ch01 for my MIDI connection.

Any help you can give me to fix this issue would be much appreciated!

Check out this video. He shows you how to do what you want to do. If you have an Axe FXII this video will tell you all you need to know.

If you have an Axe FXIII you'd need to change the MFC-101 from Axe FX Mode to None (in edit / setup), and the MFC-101 port to Midi (in edit / midi).

I just tried linking IAs for the Looper functions and it doesn't work right at all with the Axe FXIII. It may work with an Axe FXII I don't know, but it doesn't work with the III. It worked so far as only one IA light being on at a time, but after recording your first pass if you hit anything else (hitting record again, play, overdub, once, or reverse, the sound just stopped.

I have everything working like you are wanting with the Axe FXIII and MFC-101 except the lights on the MFC-101 do not reflect what is really on. No problem with scenes or normal effects as you can hear what is on, but can get confusing with the Looper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom