18.01 sounds different than 18.00 b7

That is a huge and pronounced difference. I am actually taken back by that, as that difference sounds like a lot more than I would expect from just a beta to final release. To me that is like a few firmware versions apart. The beta sounds like it has a blanket over the speaker. It's dull and flat. The thing is, for weeks people have been touting how AWESOME beta 18 was.... my question is... is that dull sound what everyone thought was so awesome?

I have been running 18B, and I didn't notice that flat dull sound. This is very interesting.

They definitely sound different and the first one sounds much better.

I knew they sounded diff, I only used the BEta for what a week or two and it sounded great, but this final I can hear a good change in the high gain amp's "which I mostly used" I did post this in another thread, so glad it's not placebo haha.

That is a huge and pronounced difference. I am actually taken back by that, as that difference sounds like a lot more than I would expect from just a beta to final release. To me that is like a few firmware versions apart. The beta sounds like it has a blanket over the speaker. It's dull and flat. The thing is, for weeks people have been touting how AWESOME beta 18 was.... my question is... is that dull sound what everyone thought was so awesome?

I have been running 18B, and I didn't notice that flat dull sound. This is very interesting.

Everything is relative, of course, to what you're comparing it to. Compared to 17, the beta sounded awesome. Compared to the beta, the release sounds even better.

From Cliff: "You should notice better midrange and treble clarity on certain high gain amp models compared to the beta. I did a lot of critical listening and comparing of the new algorithms over the last few weeks and noticed a tiny bit of "signature" to the sound. I traced that to the triode cutoff formula being too "soft". The new formula removes that signature which also yields increased clarity and string separation for models that rely on preamp distortion."

Seems like that explains the difference.

I noticed the better clarity, brightness and gain as well after installing 18.01 vs. the beta. It sounds great!

I felt the like first 18 beta (private) seemed brighter than the public beta that were released afterwards. I put it down to my ears being crap, hopefully this proves me right as I preferred the brighter versions.

Love the tone in the first half of that clip BTW :)

Same here. I did not notice a big difference from beta7 to 18.01 yesterday. Less top end than 17.04, but sweeter presence.
Got to check this out. Maybe i have to turn down trouble again.

For me, (and just for me... ymmv and all that...) I was just pointing out that I didn't notice that kind of wet blanket effect on the beta that I heard on that sound clip. I mean, that first clip did not sound very alive to me, and even FW15 sounded more real than that to me. Of course, it could just be my ears, headphones, today... or any other reason why it was so pronounced to me. I LOVE the second clip, but the first was just kind of "dead" to my ear. I don't recall my AXE sounding like that on the beta.

That said, Im installing and testing 18 in less than an hour, so I'm gonna find out!

Oh my god. It seems it isn't a placebo. My initial impression after installing FW18 release version was that it is a bit better. But since I couldn't find any information about another change from 18b7 to 18.01 I thought that it's just a wrong impression. Now it turns out, that there is a change? Cool.

The first clip will cut in any mix while the second one will need more eq tweaking to fit. Never judge a tone on it's own!! It's how it sounds in the mix that really matter.

I've noticed a big difference between 18beta and 18.01. 18.01 is Cliff's masterpiece - it sounds incredible (more clarity, presence, punch, etc).

One of the tweeks I had to make after upgrading to the beta was "Here and there had to turn up presence or Bright +1 to +3dB and lower Bass or use Bass cut on a few high gain amps". Looking forward to install the 18.01 when getting back home mid april (and turn back all the bright values !), at least I won't have to seek what to do.

Same here. I did not notice a big difference from beta7 to 18.01 yesterday. Less top end than 17.04, but sweeter presence.
Got to check this out. Maybe i have to turn down trouble again.

The least amount of trouble is usually the way to go, regardless of the situation.

Back
Top Bottom